Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #241
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I hope you'll understand when I am not specific about certain things.

More than enough. I have redundancies in every weapons platform and have purchased based on establishing a layered protective perimeter from 1,500 yards. This means being able to reach out that far. Effective range is much less under stress. Most weapons are for close combat and designed for as much stealth as possible. Yes, this means I have NFA items. Calibers range, but I have tried to use calibers that can supply multiple weapons/platforms. Lets just say that my favorite calibers are .308, 5.56, .45, .380, 9mm, and .22lr. Some are all business, some are for training, then some are for fun.

I have multiple safes including one in each vehicle I own. A weapon is always in a safe when not on my person. I do not use trigger locks unless transporting a weapon that will not fit in a vehicle safe (long guns). Beyond that, a weapon never leaves the safe unless it is on me. Ammunition is stored separately, but at times in the same room/vehicle. Ammunition is maintained in a secure closet with locks on the ammo cans. When traveling, ammo is in locked cans. The only exception to this is the loaded magazine in the safe with my daily carry, which is close enough to deal with an intruder.

I only have one floor. You will too when you get old and your joints start barking at you when they sense stairs around.

No. Even when I receive an order of ammunition, as soon as I receive it the ammo is cataloged and immediately secured. If I exceed my current capacity to store in a secure manner, I order appropriate cans and locks to meet the new order.

If an intruder breaks in I can have my weapon out of the safe and loaded in less than 15 seconds (stress tested and trained), and many times less than 10 seconds. Again, this means there is a loaded magazine in the safe with an unloaded gun, so I just have to access the safe, grab the gun and the magazine, load the mag, and rack and roll.

That is what the desert is for. Although the concept of having someone shooting at you while you train is suicidal. I would not condone such activity. There are training methods that can simulate battle stress and I recommend those than others that could put your life at risk.
Thanks

I am not sure what part of the states you live. I can't get my head around living somewhere that requires or I believe requires "establishing a layered protective perimeter from 1,500 yards".

I struggle to understand living somewhere that there is a belief that in needed. You seem to be have acclimatized to that way of life.

Quote:
Yes, this means I have NFA items.
I am not familiar with this term "NFA items". Can you expand.

My statement on a two way range was tongue in cheek. But I will say, having been shot at myself, there is a completely different set up reactions/actions needed at pucker factor 11. Perhaps you have experienced this perhaps not.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #242
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

NFA items would cover full auto, short barrel rifles and shotguns, suppressors, destructive devices and disguised/improvised firearms.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #243
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am not familiar with this term "NFA items". Can you expand.
National Firearms Act (NFA) spells out how certain items are regulated and require a special process to purchase, possess, and use. These items range from automatic weapons to short barrel weapons to suppressor technology to destructive devices not traditionally considered firearms. I have items that are on this list and have gone through the appropriate process to purchase. To give you an idea about the process, I can buy a gun in a store in about 10 minutes, and the majority of that is filling out the form. To purchase a NFA item it takes about a year to complete the entire process which includes being fingerprinted and a full background check. It's a pain in the butt and something I think should be required for every purchase. A year long investment of time and money really makes you think twice about making a purchase!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #244
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else here been shot? I was shot in the leg with a .22 when I was a kid. And about 10 years ago a bullet of higher calibre entered my passenger window and whizzed past my head. All clear since then though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #245
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg!wtf! View Post
anyone else here been shot? I was shot in the leg with a .22 when i was a kid. and about 10 years ago a bullet of higher calibre entered my passenger window and whizzed past my head. all clear since then though.
omg!wtf!
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #246
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was shot and killed several years ago.
I got better. (BURN THE WITCH!!!!)
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #247
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Anyone else here been shot? I was shot in the leg with a .22 when I was a kid. And about 10 years ago a bullet of higher calibre entered my passenger window and whizzed past my head. All clear since then though.
Thankfully no. Closest I've come is having an armed farmer approach me while turning around at night after inadvertently entering his yard. Which was un-nerving enough.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #248
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I have had near misses with a number of weapons systems, never been hit.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #249
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
National Firearms Act (NFA) spells out how certain items are regulated and require a special process to purchase, possess, and use. These items range from automatic weapons to short barrel weapons to suppressor technology to destructive devices not traditionally considered firearms. I have items that are on this list and have gone through the appropriate process to purchase. To give you an idea about the process, I can buy a gun in a store in about 10 minutes, and the majority of that is filling out the form. To purchase a NFA item it takes about a year to complete the entire process which includes being fingerprinted and a full background check. It's a pain in the butt and something I think should be required for every purchase. A year long investment of time and money really makes you think twice about making a purchase!
Thanks

I don't know where you live, but don't have a desire to live there based on your need to be so heavily armed/defended.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #250
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have had near misses with a number of weapons systems, never been hit.

Once for me, and I swear when I got back from that incident I used the Maxwell Smart line "Missed me by that much". Then I went and changed my pants.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #251
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been shot at by armored personnel carriers, snipers, mortars, tanks and artillery, all of that before the ripe age of 11.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #252
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

We used to go off-roading in my old Land Cruise and steal pot from the hippies when I lived on Vancouver Island. I guess they got wise to it and unloaded at us one time, thankfully from a distance. Was just small ammo, likely a .22 but I was terrified. Instantly relieved me of my pot-stealing tendencies. Had some good conversation-starter dents in the 'ole Cruiser.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #253
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If you haven't been shot at while off-roading near someone's property, can you even call yourself Canadian?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #254
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve never been shot but I did shoot a man in a Reno that one time just to watch him die.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #255
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always find it interesting how many people whine and cry about threads being derailed by "trolls" but never mention threads being derailed by "wannabe comedians." I've never seen a difference. They both derail threads with a good discussion and chase away people that really want to discuss the topic at length. So much for trying to get the tread refocused.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #256
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great post, here's my Canadian perspective.

Quote:
Interesting discussion. Too bad it got derailed. Maybe these questions will get it back on track. Why do you own guns? What do you use them for? How would you enact reasonable gun control? I think this is the framework for an honest discussion and can quickly push the trolls out of the thread.

Why do you own guns?

I own guns because I have always been fascinated by them. The engineering involved for them to function is amazing, especially when you consider the longevity of some firearms (1911, AK47, AR15 these aren't modern). The skill needed to put your bullet where you want it at different distances is a challenge I really enjoy.

Personal protection is not a lawful reason in Canada. When purchasing restricted firearms you have to declare the purpose, target shooting or collecting.

What do you use them for?
I hunt and 'sports shoot'
I've kept my freezer full of meat the last few years hunting which has brought me a new level of respect for the pioneers of this land.
I regularly compete in Steel Challenge (pistols), Skeet (shotgun) & 3gun (a course of fire consisting of different size/shape targets at distances from 1m to 300m using and transitioning rifle, shotgun and handgun. Keanu Reeves did a lot of 3gun training for the John Wick movies.

How would you enact reasonable gun control?

Gun control in Canada is IMO very good as it stands.
To purchase a gun/ammunition you need a PAL (purchase and acquisition license). To get a PAL you need to pass a Canadian firearms safety test, have personal referees, sign off from current spouse or ex within 2 years and pass criminal background check. For restricted licence there is another test plus you are also subjected to daily criminal background checks.
Storage and transportation is also regulated with restricted firearms needing to be trigger locked or otherwise disabled and kept in a locked container.
What is restricted? All handguns and a number of semiautomatic rifles (not all semis though and this is where it gets confusing. The recent firearms prohibition banned a lot of rifles on name or appearance, not actual characteristics or proven use in crimes in Canada).

Noted was capacity restrictions. In Canada centrefire semiautomatic rifles are restricted to 5 rounds and pistols 10 rounds. (This is why a lot of the language used in the OIC was so inflammatory, the suggestion that the rifles banned had large ammunition capacity when every rifle in Canada is restricted to 5 is just one of those points).

Last edited by Ben_in_Canada; 06-10-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #257
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I always find it interesting how many people whine and cry about threads being derailed by "trolls" but never mention threads being derailed by "wannabe comedians." I've never seen a difference. They both derail threads with a good discussion and chase away people that really want to discuss the topic at length. So much for trying to get the tread refocused.
Lighten up Francis.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #258
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just thought this was cool.

A CIA Deer Gun for auction....

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...le-shot-pistol

Quote:
Made to serve a similar purpose to the infamous "Liberator" pistols of World War II. 1,000 “Deer” guns were made with the intent of being air dropped to South Vietnamese guerrillas during the Vietnam war. It has been said that they were never actually sent to Vietnam, and their existence has been denied by the CIA. Only a handful of these very rare guns have survived, with the majority of production having been destroyed. Completely unmarked as one would expect for a Clandestine Operations destined firearm.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #259
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda amazed this thread, nor the government thread hasn't been talking about this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nat...eeze-1.6624653

Quote:
According to the government, exempted individuals include anyone who already holds an authorization to carry handguns — which requires permission from the Canadian Firearms Program of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police — and people who train, compete or coach in a handgun shooting discipline that is a program of the International Olympic Committee or the International Paralympic Committee.

Everyone else won't be able to legally buy a handgun after Friday.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #260
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Kinda amazed this thread, nor the government thread hasn't been talking about this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nat...eeze-1.6624653
As an PAL/RPAL holder and gun owner, I've considered weighing in on it. However I do not think an intelligent or rational conversation could be had here as the voices on the left of this site, tend to be very loud, righteous and demeaning to anyone that may have any sort of Conservative views, let alone collect firearms.

All I will add is this. Personally, I feel that this will do exactly nothing to help this issue. RPAL holders in this country, for the better part, are some of the most upstanding, least threatening people in the Country. And every single one of us, undergoes a daily, electronic criminal records check. And it is assumed it is voluntary if you purchase a restricted firearm.

That being said, I think they need to tighten further, who can have access to handguns, and tighten storage requirements. Unless you've lived a spotless life, with spotless credit, and the ability to store your weapons in a dedicated room/vault, I believe you should only qualify for long guns, not restricted weapons or handguns. It would take someone hours to get at mine should someone attempt to steal mine. If they could even find the door to my vault.

The discussion in 10 years is going to be the thousands of 3D printed ghost guns. At least with a registry, even in the completely rare case of a registered weapon is used in the commission of a crime, you can at least figure out some sort of trail as to where the gun came from. Which is better than nothing.

I would actually buy into a full on handgun ban and hand my restricted stuff back in, if the US outright banned handgun sales and ownership. They are neat, fun to shoot and all, but yes the world would be a better place if they all vanished. But we are so far down the rabbit hole, it will never happen. As long as we share the worlds longest unprotected border with the gun haven of the world, criminals will get their guns no matter what. And there's not a thing this legislation does to stop it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: