Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Dec 12 Update - Mortgage Rates Increasing

Dec 12, 2019--- UPDATE

RBC Announced an INCREASE to mortgage rates effective Dec 17, 2019.

3-year rates will increase by 0.10%
5-year rates will increase by 0.20%

Pressure on rates are increasing since the Bank of Canada announcement on Dec 4 ---->>>> 5-Year Bond Yield.

If you have a mortgage renewing or purchasing a home in the next 4 + months, give us a shout. Rates can be held for up to 120-days.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Last edited by Mortgage Made Easy; 12-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Mortgage Made Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best place as any.

RBC to increase mortgage rates on Friday :https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ro...120631985.html

If that is the case, will other banks raise their mortgage rates? Does this mean, I have till Thursday to lock in at current low rates?

Thanks
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Best place as any.

RBC to increase mortgage rates on Friday :https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ro...120631985.html

If that is the case, will other banks raise their mortgage rates? Does this mean, I have till Thursday to lock in at current low rates?

Thanks
You are correct. RBC is raising rates for Friday.

As for other lenders, it is quite possible. Even though the 5 year bond yield has dropped... the borrowing costs have increased over the past couple of months.

This is leading to increase in fixed rates and shrinking of variable rate discounts. There are still some great deals out there... but how long will they be around is a bit of a guess.

Based on your comments, it sounds like you are in a variable rate mortgage? Not sure that you need to lock in as BoC is not increasing rates. The Prime rate that your variable rate is based on is not changing... just fixed rates and the discounts offered on new variable rate mortgages.

If you would like to spend a couple of minutes on the phone, I can understand your thoughts and provide some feedback and possibly strategies.
~Tim
403-648-1541
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any idea what the five year fixed would be going up to with rbc?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Mortgage Rates Increasing

Correction 3.04%
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what are the odds the major lenders will lower the prime lending rate next week if/when the BOC lowers interest rates?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
So what are the odds the major lenders will lower the prime lending rate next week if/when the BOC lowers interest rates?

That's a great question. If 2015 is any indication the banks might pass on a small portion of the drop. If any at all... Which is a possibility too.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm currently being offered a five year variable at prime minus .3%. It is on a 5 year variable though so I'm a little hesitant. I was once told though that a prime minus mortgage would never happen and if to did to jump on it. I have a meeting set up with them for Monday, my renewal doesn't come up till July but they are doing early renewals and the rates are starting at 1% lower then my current (3.79).
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I'm currently being offered a five year variable at prime minus .3%. It is on a 5 year variable though so I'm a little hesitant. I was once told though that a prime minus mortgage would never happen and if to did to jump on it. I have a meeting set up with them for Monday, my renewal doesn't come up till July but they are doing early renewals and the rates are starting at 1% lower then my current (3.79).
Sending PM
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi everyone...

Just a head up that there is pressure for fixed rates to rise.

The 5 Year Bond Yield was up last week and again today... up 0.13 bps since April 21.

Which means there is pressure for promotional rates to increase or be gone soon. One or two lenders have started to make changes but still many options out there.

Let us know if you have questions or would like a quote or assistance!
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The last time we saw our mortgage broker she was really pressuring us to go with a variable rate and the option to lock in at 'any time' over a fixed rate. I've always been a fan of a fixed rate as you know exactly what you are paying all the time. I understand that variable rates dont just change on a whim, but which do you generally recommend to your clients?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The last time we saw our mortgage broker she was really pressuring us to go with a variable rate and the option to lock in at 'any time' over a fixed rate. I've always been a fan of a fixed rate as you know exactly what you are paying all the time. I understand that variable rates dont just change on a whim, but which do you generally recommend to your clients?
Hi GreenLatern,

Choosing between Fixed and Variable is a little more complicated than that. The choice is a personal one and what works for one person may not work for the other.

With the small spreads between fixed and variable, you cannot go wrong with going fixed if that is your preference.

There are some pros for variable, one being that your penalty is always going to be 3 months interest (some conditions may apply, most lenders this is the policy but there are some specials out there where this rule does not apply - larger penalties may apply)

As mentioned, if someone is trying to determine which to choose, it is important to sit down with someone who can provide insight and lender choices. One big component of taking either rate is a strategy that fits your financial goals... paying off your mortgage, buying another property, invest, pay off debt etc...

I don't recommend or think that taking a variable rate... and having the option to lock in, if rates rise is a wise strategy. Reason being, by the time you are ready to lock in, the fixed rates will likely have risen enough where it makes no sense to lock in... and you can lose any gain or savings you have made. It is MORE important to take a proactive approach with variable rate then a wait and see approach.... this can yield a greater savings even if Prime rate rises.

If you are interested in sitting down to discuss your situation, I am available to schedule a meeting. As I mentioned, everyones situation is unique and so is the solution.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Mortgage Made Easy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage Made Easy View Post
I don't recommend or think that taking a variable rate... and having the option to lock in, if rates rise is a wise strategy. Reason being, by the time you are ready to lock in, the fixed rates will likely have risen enough where it makes no sense to lock in... and you can lose any gain or savings you have made. It is MORE important to take a proactive approach with variable rate then a wait and see approach.... this can yield a greater savings even if Prime rate rises.
Isn't there also a concern of when you try to lock a variable to fixed, you are stuck talking to one lender who has no reason to give you his best rate? So if you go variable you need the guts to ride it out.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Isn't there also a concern of when you try to lock a variable to fixed, you are stuck talking to one lender who has no reason to give you his best rate? So if you go variable you need the guts to ride it out.
That is correct... usually the lenders lowest available rate is not available for when you lock in... it is usually 0.10% higher than their current going rate OR even higher.

You're correct that they do not have to offer you their best and lowest rate.

And under most circumstances, I would agree... let it ride. But more importantly, adopt a strategy right from the get go and let it ride if you take variable... this will give you more control and confidence. However, there is always an exception where locking in is a good move.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Okay peeps... it's happening... a few lenders have announced rate increases today.

Looks like the increase is about 5bps... as an example, 2.49% rates will now be 2.54%
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 11-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We are receiving notices that rates are rising tonight for a few lenders and likely will see more announcements today and as the days come.

The 5 Year Bond Yield has risen quite a bit since the US election. The bond has increased approx. 0.20 +...

We are seeing 5 year fixed rates increasing by about 20bps on the rates posted above.

Call or email if you have questions.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #17
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey guys ... thinking about locking in my variable rate -Current rate 2.30 three years left 5 year is 2.69 - 4 year is 2.40... thoughts?
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #18
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
Hey guys ... thinking about locking in my variable rate -Current rate 2.30 three years left 5 year is 2.69 - 4 year is 2.40... thoughts?

Hi Bossy -

I might suggest a strategy where you increase your current payment as if you took the 5-year 2.69%. The increase will go straight to principal.

It is suspected that BOC will not likely increase their rates for most of 2017. This strategy is what we do with clients and tends to save them quite a bit.

If the rate changes keep you from sleeping then locking in may be the way to go. If you have 3 years left, find out what the 3 year is.

If you PM me, I could advise what the lender is offering. Regards,
Tim
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 12-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rates are increasing again this week. There are a number of changes that have occurred and the announcements from lenders have started to roll in today.

I will be reviewing and providing some updates over the next few days as there are a number of rate changes to decipher through.

NOTE: There will be more changes effective January when the next set of changes occur. Please PM or reach out if you have questions.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Old 12-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rates are adjusting upwards again. There continues to be pressure on the 5-Year Bond Yield.

As well there have been some market adjustments with OPEC decision earlier this week with Oil and the CDN Dollar being up and then the recent US Fed rate announcement today!

If you are looking to purchase, refinance or renew a mortgage within the next 4 months... you may want to consider protecting current rates as we do expect another rate increase in Jan 2017, in part due to some of the mortgage guideline changes to the banks & insurers.

Feel free to reach out for a free no obligation coffee / meeting to review options.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com