Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 AM   #1
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Potential trade partners for the Flames' Defensive depth

The Flames managed to build up some depth on the blue line, so much so that we are almost certain that a Defenseman will be dealt this summer. I wanted to take a deeper look at potential trade partners or lack of partners. So which teams are less likely to be interested in Brodie/Hamonic/Stone?

The first place I looked was teams that have a lot of cap already committed to defense. ARI(31.3M), Pit(28.9M), LAK(26.8M), CAR(26.8M), NAS(26.5M), EDM(26.2M),Min(25.9M), WAS(24.6M), NYR(23.7M), SJS(23.5M). Followed by teams that will feel the cap crunch this summer in VGK, PIT, NAS, TBL, TOR, EDM, WPG, and SJS.

Then I looked at teams with a better defense than the Flames last year. The simplest way for this discussion is to look at goals against. NYI, DAL*, BOS, NAS, STL, ARI, TBL, CAR, all allowed less goals against than the Flames. Out of those teams only Dallas will be looking to add to their defense core.

Which leaves us with ANA, BUF, CHI, CLB, DAL, DET, FLA, MTL, NJD, OTT, PHI, and VAN. All those teams aside from CLB, and DAL missed the playoffs. I also find it less likely that a team in a rebuild would commit to an upcoming UFA. Which further narrows it down to CLB, DAL, FLA, MTL, VAN, and maybe ANA, CHI, or PHI. Out of that group, CLB seems like it has its D set. It leaves us with a potential of 4-7 trade partners, two of which are division rivals.

If you are still with me, I look forward to hearing your opinion on the limited options. Do you still think we will be able to shed salary from the back end? Will they be able to get a player back if so whom? Or is it going to be a hockey trade and the Flames will look to save cap space elsewhere?

PS: The only trade that really jumps at me is around Brodie for Khudobin and a pick.

Last edited by gvitaly; 05-24-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Forgot that half of Dallas' D are free agents this summer.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depending on free agency, Florida may be a good trading partner. They have some good young players, add a free agent or two, then a piece like Brodie may be what they need on their defence
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Depending on free agency, Florida may be a good trading partner. They have some good young players, add a free agent or two, then a piece like Brodie may be what they need on their defence
Yes, with Tippet, Heponiemi, and Serron a lot of interesting options for RW. Also, Hoffman and Dadonov are UFAs after this season(though both will require the Flames to add).

Last edited by gvitaly; 05-24-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #4
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

One or both of Claude Giroux or Brendan Gallagher would be a couple of nice right shot options to add to the Flames forward group.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
One or both of Claude Giroux or Brendan Gallagher would be a couple of nice right shot options to add to the Flames forward group.
Giroux has a NMC, and there is no way the Flyers trade him. As for Gallagher I have a hard time seeing Montreal give away their best goal scorer for an upcoming UFA defenseman. I would be more than glad for either though.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

It is not as simple as singling out trading partners on the basis of their goals allowed and cap situation. EVERY team will be looking to improve in the summer regardless of where they finished, and if a team believes that they can improve their own defensive depth by making a deal with the Flames, they will do so. Last year Carolina acquired Dougie Hamilton despite already having an impressive core of young defensemen. SJ made a deal to add Erik Karlsson even though they already had Brent Burns and were among the League’s better defending teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is not as simple as singling out trading partners on the basis of their goals allowed and cap situation. EVERY team will be looking to improve in the summer regardless of where they finished, and if a team believes that they can improve their own defensive depth by making a deal with the Flames, they will do so. Last year Carolina acquired Dougie Hamilton despite already having an impressive core of young defensemen. SJ made a deal to add Erik Karlsson even though they already had Brent Burns and were among the League’s better defending teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you that it’s not as simple as that, but an analysis on a per team basis would be a lot more dry, and definitely longer. I am actually looking forward to seeing some of that discussion. It’s a lot more interesting than just saying trade Brodie for a top 6 forward. That’s also why I tried to group teams, for example teams in cap trouble will be looking to send the same salary back, meanwhile teams in a rebuild will be more hesitant to part with young players.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t really have the Hurricanes as a trade partner for Hamilton leading up the the draft last year. It seems that Hanifin’s name was out there early in the off-season with Vancouver being attached to the rumors. Lindholm’s name popped up in the days leading up to the draft and it was not long after the Hamilton rumors started but that was in the days prior to the draft. Hamilton’s name was in the rumor mill basically once the season ended.

I think it is obvious the Flames are going to shop Brodie and Frolik at the draft. I think they would dump Neal and/or Stone if they could get a deal they thought would work out. I can see Jankowaki, Kylington, our 1st, maybe Bennett being pieces that are dangled.

I don’t see a scenario where one of the fab 5 from the regular season are traded. I also doubt secondary players like Hanifin, Backlund, Hamonic, or Ryan are moved.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Yes, with Tippet, Heponiemi, and Serron a lot of interesting options for RW. Also, Hoffman and Dadonov are UFAs after this season(though both will require the Flames to add).
I am not adding to Brodie for Hoffman.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd rather see our depth moved for draft picks and grab a top-6 forward in free agency
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Another thing to consider is how many dmen will be available for trade this summer. That will affect the negotiations for Calgary, I'm sure.

I've read that Vegas would move Colin Miller, as an example. Nashville may listen to offers on Subban or Ellis. Pittsburgh has Jack Johnson. I hear Winnipeg's Trouba is a possibility. My point is that Calgary has a real asset in Brodie. An asset that I think they can afford to move out for the right piece but there will be other talented dmen available as well. I just don't know how other GMs evaluate Brodie in comparison to some of the other names that are potentially available. Is Brodie on a lot of GM's wish lists? You have to think he'd fit in well on a number of teams.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I also find it less likely that a team in a rebuild would commit to an upcoming UFA. Which further narrows it down to CLB, DAL, FLA, MTL, VAN, and maybe ANA, CHI, or PHI.
I don't agree that rebuilding teams wouldn't commit to an upcoming UFA. Some rebuilding teams have cap space to spare, and that can be bargaining chip in itself.

"We know we're not going to be good next year, so we'll take your unwanted contract in addition to a pick or prospect we've had our eye one."

OR

"Our d-corps is young and inexperienced, and having veterans mentor our raw rookies would help them grow their game."

Also, I think VAN is still in the rebuilding stage. They're definitely not contenders, nor a perennial playoff team.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

While TO does have cap issues, there is no chance that they don't add to their D-corps in the off season. I still think something around Kadri and Brodie makes sense. Calgary would have to add.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry wrong thread.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote