Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #81
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Let me know when Flames fans start cheering for the away team at a home game like Sabres fans have done on multiple occasions.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/3/2...s-loss-tanking
We'll see.

Had we won that game we'd likely have Dylan Strome right now instead of Eichel. It's about hoping for what's best for the team, and you don't really know what you'll do until you're in that situation. Heck, there's already people in this thread hoping for a Sabres win and there's 20 games left. What if it was the last game of the season, and losing would secure Calgary the best odds at getting Matthews. Do you know, for sure, that you wouldn't actively cheer for a loss?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #82
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Because what... we traded our impending UFA goalies? Calgary would've too if anyone wanted them.
I think it's more about how well the roster was crafted prior to last season. Clearly last year there were a few teams that weren't really trying to make the playoffs even from the beginning of the season.

The Flames this offseason tried to improve. They wanted to make the playoffs. A combination of bad luck, injuries, bad special teams, and horrific goaltending has us at the bottom of the standings. The only tanking moves made were made the deadline and post deadline.

This is no way compares to the Sabres of last year who were quite obviously aiming themselves at the bottom of the standings before the year even started.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #83
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
OutOfTheCube, how has Eichel done this year? Seems to have put up the points quite well, but how has he progressed? As expected? Better? Worse?

I'm also interested to see where you think the Sabres could improve going forward.
Don't want to answer for OutOfTheCube, but I think the general consensus among Sabres fans is that he's literally jesus.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #84
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We'll see.

Had we won that game we'd likely have Dylan Strome right now instead of Eichel. It's about hoping for what's best for the team, and you don't really know what you'll do until you're in that situation. Heck, there's already people in this thread hoping for a Sabres win and there's 20 games left. What if it was the last game of the season, and losing would secure Calgary the best odds at getting Matthews. Do you know, for sure, that you wouldn't actively cheer for a loss?

19 games to jump 5 teams and make up 13 points. With the undisputed worst goal tending in the league.

I'm guessing you aren't very good at math with the dumb stance you've taken.

And you guys traded some of your best NHL assets for an injured player. That is next level tanking. Edmonton level garbage.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #85
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
OutOfTheCube, how has Eichel done this year? Seems to have put up the points quite well, but how has he progressed? As expected? Better? Worse?

I'm also interested to see where you think the Sabres could improve going forward.
I've been pleased -- there's been ups and downs like any rookie season, but overall he's adjusted well. All the games I've watched he's routinely been the best player on the ice for either team, dominant posession player, fast, smart... he's got the whole package. And would have at least 10 more points if his linemates could put pucks in the net on any kind of consistent basis (Kane...). I'd say his point totals might be a little under expectations (I was thinking around 60 for the year) but he's progressed very well.

Going forward it's about just growing on defense and maybe getting a useful winger in there. O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart have been our best offensive players by a mile and they're all centers. Getting a kid like Laine or Tkachuk would be excellent. And if not them, keep working on defense and grab Chychrun. Fortunately, Lehner looks like the real deal in net, which is a big weight off the shoulders going forward. A full season of him next year (hopefully) will give a better indication where the team is at.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #86
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We'll see.

Maybe if you win that game you also win the lottery and get McDavid.

Cheering for the opposing team is pretty despicable.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #87
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
there is also a difference in trying to make the playoffs, pushing hard and ultimately falling short. then the last 1/4 of the season, changing it up to play young kids and if you tank....oh well. that's dealing with reality and your situation.

vs. Day 1: sending out an AHL roster and coaching towards failure, aiming at a high draft pick.

BIG DIFFERENCE.
Agreed. I see tanking as icing a worse roster than what's possible before the season starts.

I see late season experimenting and scouting of your rookie players as trying to find ways to improve despite your standings position. I mean if your veteran squad couldn't make the playoffs, what makes you think they will improve dramatically next year?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #88
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you know, for sure, that you wouldn't actively cheer for a loss?
Yeah, I do because a higher draft pick guarantees absolutely nothing. For evidence of that, I only have to look 3 hours north of Calgary and witness what has transpired over the last 10 years.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #89
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why all the uproar over the goalie choice?

Hiller? Ortio? Does it really matter? They're both terrible. Nearly identical GAA and Sv% for 2015-16. Hiller gets the nod because the Flames have actually won a game while he's been in net.

Pretty sure that Ortio is an acronym for Our Regular 'Tender Is Out.
He's like McBackup version 2.0.

I'm looking forward to the season winding down so that we can be rid of this Goaltending Gong Show. If anyone but Ramo is back next year, I think we need to resort to torches and pitchforks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame19,289 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #90
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find it funny reading all the "holy art thou" posts regarding Calgary's seemingly glaring goaltender choices which apparently equal the desire to tank. I get it, we don't want to be nor look like Edmonton Oiler fans here but can you honestly say you'd prefer to play yourself out of a lottery draft pick for the sake of "pride" if that's what you want to label it?

Does anyone outside of the Flames organization care if we place 20th instead of 28th-30th? What good does it do the team, the city, the franchise other than the fact we can say "we didnt tank" which I agree doesn't look good on paper.

But honestly, moving forward with our 0% shot to make the playoffs, all I want to see is the young kids play well, get points and the team chemistry continue to build for next year. I don't need the big 2 points moving forward in the standings, count me in the group of people who want the best odds in terms of a top 3 lottery pick which helps propel the rebuild next year.

Last edited by Royle9; 03-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #91
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames lines at morning skate in Buffalo ...
Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik
Ferland-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Backlund-Hathaway
Bollig-Stajan-Jooris

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames proj. pairings vs. #Sabres:
Giordano-Brodie
Engelland-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Nakladal
Goaltenders:
Hiller (Starter)
Ortio
Well first we had BroDano

and now we have

PakkaNak?
NaklaPak?
JokiDal?

...I'll show myself out.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #92
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watch Hiller pitch a shutout tonight
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #93
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've been pleased -- there's been ups and downs like any rookie season, but overall he's adjusted well. All the games I've watched he's routinely been the best player on the ice for either team, dominant posession player, fast, smart... he's got the whole package. And would have at least 10 more points if his linemates could put pucks in the net on any kind of consistent basis (Kane...). I'd say his point totals might be a little under expectations (I was thinking around 60 for the year) but he's progressed very well.

Going forward it's about just growing on defense and maybe getting a useful winger in there. O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart have been our best offensive players by a mile and they're all centers. Getting a kid like Laine or Tkachuk would be excellent. And if not them, keep working on defense and grab Chychrun. Fortunately, Lehner looks like the real deal in net, which is a big weight off the shoulders going forward. A full season of him next year (hopefully) will give a better indication where the team is at.
Cheers.

I ask because I haven't seen him grab the headlines all that much. We've seen a lot of stuff about McJesus, Larkin, Domi, Ghost Bear etc, but Eichel hasn't really taken much attention. Was surprised when I saw he'd put up 41 points, pretty good considering his line mates. You say you expected 60, well with just under 20 games to go, he should hit 50, which is surely more than acceptable for him given the state of the team at the moment.

I think you might be in the position the Islanders were 2 years ago. Took Dal Colle at the draft then added 2 good defencemen via trade in Leddy and Boychuk and it really helped them. Pick up someone like Yandle via free agency and maybe target a defenceman from a cap crunched team and you could really take off, a lot of the pieces are there.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #94
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I find it funny reading all the "holy art thou" posts regarding Calgary's seemingly glaring goaltender choices which apparently equal the desire to tank. I get it, we don't want to be nor look like Edmonton Oiler fans here but can you honestly say you'd prefer to play yourself out of a lottery draft pick for the sake of "pride" if that's what you want to label it?

Does anyone outside of the Flames organization care if we place 20th instead of 28th-30th? What good does it do the team, the city, the franchise other than the fact we can say "we didnt tank" which I agree doesn't look good on paper.

But honestly, moving forward with our 0% shot to make the playoffs, all I want to see is the young kids play well, get points and the team chemistry continue to build for next year. I don't need the big 2 points moving forward in the standings, count me in the group of people who want that top 3 lottery pick which helps propel the rebuild next year.
All non-playoff teams are in the lottery. If you 'play yourself out of a lottery pick' that means you made the playoffs.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #95
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
All non-playoff teams are in the lottery. If you 'play yourself out of a lottery pick' that means you made the playoffs.
Sorry should have clarified, better odds for said lottery (20% chance last place etc)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #96
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdeedoo View Post

and now we have

PakkaNak?
NaklaPak?
JokiDal?

...I'll show myself out.
JyrkiJak NaklaPak
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #97
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdeedoo View Post

and now we have

PakkaNak?
NaklaPak?
JokiDal?

...I'll show myself out.
I feel like you missed the obvious "Pakladal"
The Following User Says Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #98
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

But honestly, moving forward with our 0% shot to make the playoffs, all I want to see is the young kids play well, get points and the team chemistry continue to build for next year. I don't need the big 2 points moving forward in the standings, count me in the group of people who want that top 3 lottery pick which helps propel the rebuild next year.
I don't think there's a whole lot of what the Flames did this season that can be considered respectable or worth a sense of pride.

The silver lining is that if the Flames finish 3rd last or 2nd last, they at worst get a 5th to 6th overall pick. That's the difference between Monahan and Nurse or Bennett and Dal Colle.

Last edited by MarkGio; 03-03-2016 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #99
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going to the game, will play the harmonica on some wings before puck drop, should be good.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #100
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

NaklaPakka has a nice ring to it
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin