Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #5121
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Friedman made a good point this morning. The Sens pick this year is sure to be top 5 so makes sense to defer. Though if the Sens are serious in going scorched earth rebuild, then next year's pick could be even higher.

Ugly, ugly position for them to be in.

Sens are a prime example of not bottoming out to build a roster leaving them with a highly mediocre team. In the last 15 years or so, the highest they have ever picked is 6th and that was once (zinjenebad or whatever).
A highly mediocre team doesn’t get one win away from the cup finals. They did better against the Pens than any other team. They became mediocre with bad moves since then.

They also have a solid prospect pool (Chabot, White, and Brown are all top tier prospects).

Their mistake was penny pinching this off season and losing solid players in Turris and Methot. They also gave up way to much for Duchene who has always played better as a winger than at center.

So they may be mediocre as of right now but it has nothing to do with them not bottoming out. They have drafted very well in the mid first round and had a good team VERY recently.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #5122
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman made a good point this morning. The Sens pick this year is sure to be top 5 so makes sense to defer. Though if the Sens are serious in going scorched earth rebuild, then next year's pick could be even higher.

Ugly, ugly position for them to be in.

Sens are a prime example of not bottoming out to build a roster leaving them with a highly mediocre team. In the last 15 years or so, the highest they have ever picked is 6th and that was once (zinjenebad or whatever).
They were pretty good last year.

Their problem isn't that they never tanked (it amazes me that fans think this is necessary), it is that the owner gets in the way and they make bad roster decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #5123
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't disagree that the methot, turris moves hurt them. Maybe it's just my bias, but even last year, they seemed like a bubble team that went on a Cinderella run. Not a perennial playoff team, let alone contender, in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #5124
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Don't disagree that the methot, turris moves hurt them. Maybe it's just my bias, but even last year, they seemed like a bubble team that went on a Cinderella run. Not a perennial playoff team, let alone contender, in my opinion.
Agreed. Absolutely horrible roster on paper. Almost worse than arizona if you take away karlsson. Anderson playing lights out and bouchers system was what made them good. Lol tom pyatt for heavens sakes
Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #5125
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

John Shannon @JSportsnet
In Calgary, just get a sense that management may be feeling a shake-up is necessary... not getting the results and not scoring ... time to make some "adjustments".

Dean Molberg @fan960boomer
Echoing @JSportsnet I'm told the Flames are looking to make some adjustments. To start, minor deal today and expect a member or two from the Heat to join the big club very soon.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-30-2017 at 07:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #5126
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
John Shannon @JSportsnet
In Calgary, just get a sense that management may be feeling a shake-up is necessary... not getting the results and not scoring ... time to make some "adjustments".
Flames about to make January 31, 2010 happen all over again aren't they
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #5127
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

@fan960boomer: Echoing @JSportsnet I'm told the Flames are looking to make some adjustments. To start, minor deal today and expect a member or two from the H...
Old 12-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #5128
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane? Andersson? Klimchuk?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #5129
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dean Molberg @fan960boomer
Level of play and goals against has been good for a few weeks but too many points slipping through their fingers. A scoring winger has to be their main target.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #5130
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Mangiapane? Andersson? Klimchuk?
Or Hrivik.

Or Huska
Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #5131
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Asking price for Pacioretty: Bergevin asking for a top goal scorer back preferably one younger than Pacioretty
Habs are actively shopping Pacioretty
One of the reason Habs are asking for so much is they now if Pacioretty gets a fresh start he is going to start producing again

Blues interested in Hoffman.
Blues 1st round pick is tied up in the Schenn trade and how they do this year, but they have some high end forward prospects like Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin and Fabbri that could be inticing.
If Bouwmeester stays healthy Blues are going to do something whether it is Hoffman or someone else.

Leafs will be the first NHL team that will stay off the strip when they visit Las Vegas.
They are staying about 25 minutes away from the arena.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #5132
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bergevin ruined his team. Good luck getting that ask for Patches
Old 12-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #5133
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

A top young goal scorer for Pacioretty? If a team have one of those, why would they want Pacioretty?
Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #5134
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Pacioretty is f’n junk and a terrible leader imo. Lazy and quits on plays imo.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #5135
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Edit Dbl Post.

Edit #2:With all the chatter about the Sabres here on CP, I have come around to the idea of perhaps moving Dougie if the BT is unwilling to move Brodie.

A couple Trade scenarios I could see being beneficial to the Flames and Sabres is-

Hamilton and Brouwer for Kane, Bagosian, and Reinhart (due to Kane being a potential UFA, no salary retained on Brouwer and perhaps a conditional 2nd rounder from Buffalo)

Or Brodie for Kane and Bagosian and a conditional 2nd depending on Kane Re-signing with the Flames.

I think Bagosian still has some game left and is a competitor with grit and could fit nicely as a 3rd RD with Kulak perhaps.
I think Stone could handle 2nd pairing minutes and Hamonic and Gio would be a nice shutdown pair against other teams top lines.

Or go even bigger! Brodie and Hamilton Backlund for RoR, Kane, Bagosian, Reinhart and Risiolainen? Lol. I wish.

JG- Monny- Kane
Tkachuk-ROR- Frolik/Ferland
Ferland/Bennett- Janko- Ferland/Jagr/Hathaway
Mangiapane- Reinhart - Jagr/Hathaway
Xtra - Brouwer

Gio- Ristolainen
Kulak-Stone
Andersson/Kylington- Bagosian
X-Andersson/Kylington/Bagosian

Lol, one can dream right?

Oh and Coach- Anyone but Cameron and GG given a chance to bring his own guy in it fire them all. Don’t replace from with in unless it’s the eliminator!

Last edited by IgiTang; 12-31-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #5136
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Six potential trade destinations for the Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty:

"Calgary has a wonderful top line anchored by Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau, but secondary scoring is lacking. Pacioretty might pair well with two-way centre Mikael Backlund and would certainly love not seeing the other team’s top defenders every night. The power play — currently ranked 20th in the league — could also use a boost and the vision of ‘Johhny Hockey’ sliding sweet passes to triggerman Pacioretty should stimulate saliva glands all over Southern Alberta.

As for what could go the other way, the captain of Canada’s World Junior Championship entry, Dillon Dube, was a Flames second-rounder in 2016. And, with Sam Bennett coming to life in the past six weeks, maybe the Habs have interest in the 2014 fourth overall selection."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ax-pacioretty/

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #5137
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Six potential trade destinations for the Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty:

"Calgary has a wonderful top line anchored by Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau, but secondary scoring is lacking. Pacioretty might pair well with two-way centre Mikael Backlund and would certainly love not seeing the other team’s top defenders every night. The power play — currently ranked 20th in the league — could also use a boost and the vision of ‘Johhny Hockey’ sliding sweet passes to triggerman Pacioretty should stimulate saliva glands all over Southern Alberta.

As for what could go the other way, the captain of Canada’s World Junior Championship entry, Dillon Dube, was a Flames second-rounder in 2016. And, with Sam Bennett coming to life in the past six weeks, maybe the Habs have interest in the 2014 fourth overall selection."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ax-pacioretty/

Don't shoot the messenger.

Puuuuuuuuuke!!!!! If BT traded Sam bennett after all the crap the kid has gone through with trying to find his place and finally does , I would be pissed!

Dube is perhaps a trade chip but no effin way should Bennett be going anywhere. Sam and Matty are core pieces for the future IMO.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #5138
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, no thanks. Especially at those potential returns.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #5139
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would really like to bring Patches in. 30+ goals in 6 straight seasons (including lockout pace) he would definitely bring much needed scoring. He mite not be the best defensively but we have the players to match with him that would make strong lines.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Patches
Bennett - Janko - Frolik
Eat Bread - Stajan - Jagr/Brouwer

That makes our RW wayyyy deeper.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #5140
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flames core is, in my opinion :
Monahan
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Bennett
Jankowski (no point trading given he's just starting his career)
Giordano
One of Hamilton/Brodie

Those are non starters for me as far potential trade assets.

On the prospect front, I would prefer the following being untouchable:
Parsons
Dube
2 of 3 of Andersson, fox, Valimaki
Closed Thread