Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #181
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Cheaper than the 2-5 a liter some of you dicks are wishing on me. Pretty impressive since you dont even know who I voted for. I hope your dirt town floods again you jerks.
I asked a question. Grow up
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #182
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Do you find Costco gas yields worse efficiency? The last time I got gas there it seemed like I got about 50km less to a tank. I drive the same routes pretty consistently. Maybe it was a fluke.

I do! I track my range in km's for every fill and I always get approx 500-525 on a tank when I fill up with Shell Premium. When I do the odd Costco fill up a few times a summer when I am there shopping, I ALWAYS tap out around 450-475. A solid 10% difference in range and it usually works out to be about 10% cheaper in fill up. It's a wash for me but something that is very noticeable and I only ever fill up at Shell using their VPower or a few times a year at Costco also using premium.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #183
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This sucks. We had a diesel Q5 but sold it to upsize due to a growing family. Unfortunately due to dieselgate, only gasoline engines were available. Premium fuel with half the fuel economy we were used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #184
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side, at least you aren't poisoning the rest of us now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #185
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We will be looking at a new car sometime in the next year or so. Even though the current gas prices don’t mean a whole lot for the typical commute, maybe an extra $10 / week, I think we will definitely be looking at some kind of EV moving ahead.

I just think the refineries and resellers should check their pricing when a lot more options for EVs are coming up ahead, and oil prices are still trading quite a bit below pre-crash numbers when gas prices were nothing near these levels.

If the goal is to drive people to EV options, well, success!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #186
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We will be looking at a new car sometime in the next year or so. Even though the current gas prices don’t mean a whole lot for the typical commute, maybe an extra $10 / week, I think we will definitely be looking at some kind of EV moving ahead.

I just think the refineries and resellers should check their pricing when a lot more options for EVs are coming up ahead, and oil prices are still trading quite a bit below pre-crash numbers when gas prices were nothing near these levels.

If the goal is to drive people to EV options, well, success!
True, but have you looked at electricity prices lately too?
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #187
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that for certain people in the Lower Mainland / Vancouver Island an EV makes sense but the broader market doesn't bear this out in the long term. The broader market clearly wants SUV's and crossovers that have a 10-20% fuel usage premium.

That and government subsidies on EV's...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #188
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Cheaper than the 2-5 a liter some of you dicks are wishing on me. Pretty impressive since you dont even know who I voted for. I hope your dirt town floods again you jerks.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #189
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
True, but have you looked at electricity prices lately too?
I am not sure what the electricity prices are like. Our actual usage costs are pretty low and sit well beneath the noise of the administration and other random fees that are tacked on.

Plus on the bright-side you can always charge at your office!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #190
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping an old vehicle longer rather than buying a new vehicle with better fuel economy is likely more economic.

In tracking vehicle costs I average about 12-15 cents a km in Capital and Maitenance costs on 10 year old vehicles compared to 25 cents a km on 2-3 year old vehicles. To make that up gas prices would need to hit $2 a litre and fuel economy would need to be double.

So if a new car is being driven by gas price the answer is keep the older car longer. If the new car is something you want than the delta between electric and gas may pay off depending on your milage and driving habits. But even then making due with a smaller vehicle year round would have a more significant impact.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #191
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If the gas prices stay high long enough, hopefully people will stop buying gas-guzzling SUVs and crossovers. They're the worst.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #192
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If the gas prices stay high long enough, hopefully people will stop buying gas-guzzling SUVs and crossovers. They're the worst.
I mean new suvs get as low as 7-8 L per 100. They aren't that bad. The 2018 version of my suv gets 8.1 L per 100.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #193
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That is good. What kind of SUV? I mean, full-size SUVs are the opposite of fuel efficient.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #194
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Much like the price of fuel....amirite?

That being said though, this is the exact manner that people have voted that they want.

Raise the price of fuel/Carbon so as to decrease demand and usage and ergo emissions.

These Governments were elected to save the planet and their carbon taxes and price increases are pretty much their plan to do it.

Most people would look at that plan and dismiss it out of hand as unreasonable.

And yet here we are.

My biggest issue is that we are economically castrating ourselves to make no difference to emissions or saving the environment whatsoever. So why do it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #195
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
No, we don't deserve that. Mad at the B.C. government, sure I get that. But let's drop the 'they deserve what they get' because our current government was not voted for by the people of this province. We never voted for what's happening right now.
The people of BC deserve the anger they are getting. They may not have voted for this, but, the truth is...they voted for this...

and are you telling me that there's just nothing that can be done by folks in BC? The anger at BC is warranted because a huge swath of people, primarily on the island admittedly, have been living in some alternate universe blithely unaware or purposefully ignorant of the current realities of society.

That the BC government feels comfortable to violate Canadian law at the expense of all other Canadians in such a dramatic fashion, warrants this type of feeling and backlash.

Do you know how many Albertans I have met that go to BC to visit and get lambasted or treated poorly by people from BC the minute they find out your from Alberta, and how long this has been going on for? The people of BC have turned their noses up at Alberta in particular, but at the rest of Canada for quite some time now. They couldn't have been more selfish over the last decade. Well, now Alberta is facing economic crisis (and actually Canada soon to be too, given foreign investment has collapsed and we're a resource based economy). And you're surprised that there's general anger and resentment almost at a boiling point?

The fact a provincial government is legitimately trying to figure out how to start a trade war over your government's behaviour isn't alarming enough? The fact that not just the government of Alberta, but the governments of Saskatchewan and Canada as well, are so publicly and widely criticizing BC actions should be telling enough. And then you're shocked people are pissed off at BC and the people of BC for not doing enough?

Just because your government wasn't the one you voted for, doesn't mean you're not going to get the spill over effects of anger- misplaced as it may be. There is some serious rage going on here, because of decades of ignorance, incompetence and spitefulness by the people of BC to our province and frankly our country. The people of BC don't give a F about the environment anymore than the rest of people on earth. But what they've done is extremely personal to many Albertans, a straight up shot across the bow at our standard of living and keeping a roof over our heads of our families. That's personal, even if it's on a macro-economic scale. And you're surprised people are angry?

If the people of BC need to protest, go protest the myriad of other things that should be protested. How about even understand the basic tenets of what you're even protesting?

There's a LOT of reasons that there is a LOT of anger in Alberta towards people from BC right now, and it's not like it didn't 'just appear'. This has been growing anger and resentment for over a decade now. Truth is, BC picked this fight, and has been picking it for a long time. And that's on the province, the people in the province, the government... that's on BC. Like come on, give me a break.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #196
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm waiting for the new Ford Ranger Raptor, It'll be available with a 2L twin turbo diesel having 210 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque and still get 30+ MPG.

Hopefully it hits our market right after the release of the standard Ranger

Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #197
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The people of BC deserve the anger they are getting. They may not have voted for this, but, the truth is...they voted for this...

and are you telling me that there's just nothing that can be done by folks in BC? The anger at BC is warranted because a huge swath of people, primarily on the island admittedly, have been living in some alternate universe blithely unaware or purposefully ignorant of the current realities of society.

That the BC government feels comfortable to violate Canadian law at the expense of all other Canadians in such a dramatic fashion, warrants this type of feeling and backlash.

Do you know how many Albertans I have met that go to BC to visit and get lambasted or treated poorly by people from BC the minute they find out your from Alberta, and how long this has been going on for? The people of BC have turned their noses up at Alberta in particular, but at the rest of Canada for quite some time now. They couldn't have been more selfish over the last decade. Well, now Alberta is facing economic crisis (and actually Canada soon to be too, given foreign investment has collapsed and we're a resource based economy). And you're surprised that there's general anger and resentment almost at a boiling point?

The fact a provincial government is legitimately trying to figure out how to start a trade war over your government's behaviour isn't alarming enough? The fact that not just the government of Alberta, but the governments of Saskatchewan and Canada as well, are so publicly and widely criticizing BC actions should be telling enough. And then you're shocked people are pissed off at BC and the people of BC for not doing enough?

Just because your government wasn't the one you voted for, doesn't mean you're not going to get the spill over effects of anger- misplaced as it may be. There is some serious rage going on here, because of decades of ignorance, incompetence and spitefulness by the people of BC to our province and frankly our country. The people of BC don't give a F about the environment anymore than the rest of people on earth. But what they've done is extremely personal to many Albertans, a straight up shot across the bow at our standard of living and keeping a roof over our heads of our families. That's personal, even if it's on a macro-economic scale. And you're surprised people are angry?

If the people of BC need to protest, go protest the myriad of other things that should be protested. How about even understand the basic tenets of what you're even protesting?

There's a LOT of reasons that there is a LOT of anger in Alberta towards people from BC right now, and it's not like it didn't 'just appear'. This has been growing anger and resentment for over a decade now. Truth is, BC picked this fight, and has been picking it for a long time. And that's on the province, the people in the province, the government... that's on BC. Like come on, give me a break.
Not even sure where to begin with this.

I guess I’m just glad you got to vent over a bunch of things I never said or brought up.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #198
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I'm waiting for the new Ford Ranger Raptor, It'll be available with a 2L twin turbo diesel having 210 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque and still get 30+ MPG.

Hopefully it hits our market right after the release of the standard Ranger

Spoiler!
I can not wait for the stupid "FOORDDD" "RAAAMM" written in big block letters on the grill to go out of style on trucks. It's horrible.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #199
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Not even sure where to begin with this.

I guess I’m just glad you got to vent over a bunch of things I never said or brought up.
Well, they’re not unrelated topics here. You think anger is misplaced and I pointed out that it kinda isn’t. Your government got voted in by the people of BC. The government is serving the people and delivering program they wanted in majority.

You also seemed somewhat surprised by the sentiment of people in BC getting what they wanted (higher gas prices) but I could be misreading that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #200
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I mean new suvs get as low as 7-8 L per 100. They aren't that bad. The 2018 version of my suv gets 8.1 L per 100.
Is that sticker or real world? Advertised fuel economy is almost impossible to hit because the test loop is pretty far removed from real world conditions.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote