Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Racism at the Rink

Really crappy to hear about the stuff that forward Givani Smith has had to go through for nothing more than being black.

Quote:
The incident sparked a series of racially charged comments on social media. Some called the Toronto native a "coward" and a "###### bag" while others stooped lower.

One man sent a photo of Smith to his personal Facebook account with "Hockey N-----" in the caption.

He also received a death threat.

"There were threats, physical threats after Game 6," said Rangers general manager Mike McKenzie.

"Before we went up to the Soo there were racial things in his inbox on social media. It was pretty disgusting to see some of the stuff that he had to deal with."
Not sure if this stuff will ever be eliminated, but we certainly shouldn't ever stop talking about it in the hopes that one day it will.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-sto...m-at-the-rink/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hate seeing this stuff. But it will never be 100% eliminated. There will always be one clown who takes things where they should not go. Being Chinese and playing since I was 8, I have experienced racism at every level I've played. That being said, I have never felt unsafe because of it, and believe that 99% of the people out there don't feel the same way. Every time I've stuck up for myself or a teammate for racism, the offending party always comes out looking like the narrow minded loud mouth.

Be a good person, stick up for yourself and those around you. That's all you have control of.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

People should just be decent to each other. There's no room for any stuff like this.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's just crazy to begin to think about the level of ignorance that is so wide spread among our uneducated and dumbed down masses.

Ethnic diversity should be celebrated in hockey. I'm excited to hear things like hockey growing in Asia (that little Japanese dynamo etc).

The feeling of pride seeing Jarome Iginla absolutely dominate the NHL for several years in Flames silks was amazing.

Those types of comments just speak to the sheer ignorance of their source.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty disappointing thing to read...

fans get way to caught up in a game and sometimes, the veneer of social restraint is pulled off, especially in the heat of battle.... racism exists, people just do a better job hiding it, now that they know they are in the minority...especially wrt to actually verbalizing it publicly.

Sadly, it shows you that society still has a long way to go...

social media anonymity has emboldened many of this folks unfortunately...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Racists are sick human beings. I think it's getting worse.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me the worst of it is that opposing coaches are saying crap to him. To me a coach should never say anything o an opposing player.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought this never happens here. Is this PC crap?

Seriously though, the fact you have “fans” and players of the opposing team making these sort of remarks clearly shows that the education system is failing and there are still a lot of inbred hicks to deal with in Canada.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post

Seriously though, the fact you have “fans” and players of the opposing team making these sort of remarks clearly shows that the education system is failing and there are still a lot of inbred hicks to deal with in Canada.
Racism comes from a variety of factors and is not purely indicative of a failing education system, though it may point to more action needed in schools.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Every village has an idiot.

Now, thanks to social media, every idiot has a village.

Glad the player spoke up about it. Would love to see a list of offenders sent to their respective employers. See how that goes for them...

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Every village has an idiot.

Now, thanks to social media, every idiot has a village.

Glad the player spoke up about it. Would love to see a list of offenders sent to their respective employers. See how that goes for them...
That is freaking brilliant.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Would love to see a list of offenders sent to their respective employers. See how that goes for them...
Because after all, nothing says justice like getting together a lynch mob, amirite? I'm so glad you have never said anything in your life that offended anyone.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Because after all, nothing says justice like getting together a lynch mob, amirite? I'm so glad you have never said anything in your life that offended anyone.
The fact is that these ignorant people were spouting off to a 20 year old. I would love to know who these idiots are and yes, this is appropriate justice. Can people make comments like this anonymously and that’s ok? Even to his face and no problem? Consequences need to be there and I am not aware of any workplace in our country that would allow this behaviour.

Often we see this sort of viewpoints when the poster has done this in the past and is saying it is ok, or harmless. I would argue that is is harmful behaviour that needs to be addressed, now more so than ever if we claim to be a multicultural society where these actions are unacceptable.

So not a lynch mob, it’s appropriate justice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikaris For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact is that these ignorant people were spouting off to a 20 year old. I would love to know who these idiots are and yes, this is appropriate justice. Can people make comments like this anonymously and that’s ok? Even to his face and no problem? Consequences need to be there and I am not aware of any workplace in our country that would allow this behaviour.

Often we see this sort of viewpoints when the poster has done this in the past and is saying it is ok, or harmless. I would argue that is is harmful behaviour that needs to be addressed, now more so than ever if we claim to be a multicultural society where these actions are unacceptable.

So not a lynch mob, it’s appropriate justice.
It's never appropriate justice once you turn it over to third parties to carry just as far as they choose. Should people be fired for comments not made in a workplace? Blacklisted from their occupation? Evicted from their homes? Lose custody of their children, maybe? Basically, Flashpoint is saying that nothing is too harsh a punishment, and these people deserve whatever any random member of the public may choose to do to them.

I've seen this happen in my own profession before now. It ruins lives, destroys careers, and occasionally kills. The cure is far, far worse than the disease.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I understand your perspective, what is the appropriate action to deter this behaviour? We are in 2018 and yet you still see this ignorance. With the #metoo movement and others, it is getting to a boiling point where there needs to be consequences or this will keep happening.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I understand your perspective, what is the appropriate action to deter this behaviour? We are in 2018 and yet you still see this ignorance. With the #metoo movement and others, it is getting to a boiling point where there needs to be consequences or this will keep happening.
Manwiches has the right idea. Don't do it yourself. Shun people who do it. Stick up for the victims. If there's a law against it, put it in the hands of the law.

No justice was ever done by a mob, no matter how pure the people in that mob thought their intentions were. When mobs act for causes that Leftists disapprove of, the Left calls it McCarthyism. When they act for causes that Leftists approve of, the Left cheers it and eggs people on to participate. (The Right is only better to the extent that it contains a percentage of ornery individualists who are insufficiently organized to form any mob.)

The #metoo movement is just an Internet mob, and it is going through the predictable cycle of overreach and backlash. People are beginning to lose their careers and their reputations over unsubstantiated allegations, and other people, seeing this, are beginning to turn against the movement. A good cause pursued by evil means can be worse than a cause that is evil in itself, because it tricks people of good conscience into doing things they never would do on their own initiative.

That's all I have to say about that. We return you to your regularly scheduled hockey discussion.

P.S. The fact that it is 2018 has nothing to do with anything. Stupidity has no sell-by date.

Last edited by Jay Random; 05-06-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #17
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It's never appropriate justice once you turn it over to third parties to carry just as far as they choose. Should people be fired for comments not made in a workplace? Blacklisted from their occupation? Evicted from their homes? Lose custody of their children, maybe? Basically, Flashpoint is saying that nothing is too harsh a punishment, and these people deserve whatever any random member of the public may choose to do to them.

I've seen this happen in my own profession before now. It ruins lives, destroys careers, and occasionally kills. The cure is far, far worse than the disease.
If your comments on social media align with those made by the KKK, then yeah, your employer should probably be informed that they are employing a bigot.

I would certainly want to know if one of my employees was an open racist. Which you are, if you are posting on social media.

I’m ok with intolerant people getting whatever they deserve. Call me crazy.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so repugnant when stuff like this happens. I think the best way to combat it is to speak out and make sure that everyone knows that most people do not tolerate this kind of behaviour. I am glad the story was reported, as they should be every time. Racist fools need to be outed and people targeted by them need to know they have allies.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You must be kiddin, right? I guess if you're born white and/or if you're very sheltered, yeah, you probably won't see this sort of crap going on.

Even here in the forum you get people associate two players to be the same even if their styles are completely different just through prejudice of association by race or culture (not going to name any names). I have to roll my eyes and move on until it's become blatant. Yeah, I'll make a comment to the poster that makes the stupid comments. Racism and discrimination should not be tolerated.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was an article about hockey racism in Chicago
https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=45276499

I also interviewed the guy who wrote it.
http://beerleaguetalk.libsyn.com/bee...h-evan-f-moore