Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #3541
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
That was a great 3rd period by Lucic. The first assist is exactly the role he needs to play with the hit setting up a goal
He was also huge on that 2nd goal his line scored
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #3542
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's not mental gymnastics to point out a super high shooting percentage or a team on a PDO bender with terrible underlying stats.

It's barely a mental somersault to be honest. And it certainly isn't embarrassing.

Basically its the same thing I was saying about the Buffalo Sabres last year after their hot start, which created a lot of people pissed at me if I remember correctly.
Its actually mental gymnastics to try and credit Neal for an all world performance by the best player in hockey, and a top 10 player in hockey. Seems pretty clear to me who to assign value to for James Neal's production.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #3543
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
The line of Lucic-Ryan-Bennett was really good tonight, albeit against a pretty bad team. Lucic and Bennett seems to have some pretty good chemistry going early on, and if they can keep clicking it could be a really good line over the course of the season. Lucic seems to be building off having quality linemates and he really looked like he was feeling it tonight. So far Lucic is pretty much what I was hoping he would be, he is not gonna move the needle too far in determining the Flames success this year, but he actually looks pretty good out there and he finds ways to contribute on pretty much a nightly basis.

As far as comparisons go, James Neal didn't have one single game as a Flame where he even looked remotely as engaged or where he influenced the outcome of a game in the way Lucic did tonight.
this is where I disagree. Last night showed exactly what he can add to this team - playing 'heavy'. And it is exactly what they need more of from their bottom 6.

The Flames have a great transition game. They can generate offense in waves. And last year, guys like Ryan and Mangiapane showed that the bottom 6 can maintain the forecheck as well. But it would be great if they could wear down the D more.

Obviously, if he could score 20 goals, that would be a huge help, but beyond that, what the Flames need is some 'heavy' forechecking, to wear down the D. That will add more space for the other lines.

If Lucic and Bennett play like that with any kind of consistency, the Flames will be better than last year. There is no question that an engaged Lucic can move the needle for this team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #3544
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
this is where I disagree. Last night showed exactly what he can add to this team - playing 'heavy'. And it is exactly what they need more of from their bottom 6.

The Flames have a great transition game. They can generate offense in waves. And last year, guys like Ryan and Mangiapane showed that the bottom 6 can maintain the forecheck as well. But it would be great if they could wear down the D more.

Obviously, if he could score 20 goals, that would be a huge help, but beyond that, what the Flames need is some 'heavy' forechecking, to wear down the D. That will add more space for the other lines.

If Lucic and Bennett play like that with any kind of consistency, the Flames will be better than last year. There is no question that an engaged Lucic can move the needle for this team.
Fantastic post. Some definitely underrate the space that powerforwards can help create for their line mates. Some underrate the impact a heavy, hard forechecker like Lucic can make in the game and in a playoff series. When defensemen get wary of heavy hits they will start to make mistakes moving the puck. Lucic is the only guy capable of laying a heavy hit or fighting a monster like Zadorov. Losing Hathaway our grit index was absurdly low. We’ve needed another powerforward for years.

The Lucic acquisition kind of reminds me of the Chris Simon acquisition before our cup run. Both heavy powerforwards who could fight, had some skill and weren’t the speediest. But Simon sure had a big impact on our playoff run.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #3545
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally think Lucic has been fine since game 1. But last night he was really dialed in and made an impact in game. I think it helped that Bennett also probably had his best game of the season. I think they were feeding off each other’s energy. Hopefully chemistry is building there.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #3546
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Fantastic post. Some definitely underrate the space that powerforwards can help create for their line mates. Some underrate the impact a heavy, hard forechecker like Lucic can make in the game and in a playoff series. When defensemen get wary of heavy hits they will start to make mistakes moving the puck. Lucic is the only guy capable of laying a heavy hit or fighting a monster like Zadorov. Losing Hathaway our grit index was absurdly low. We’ve needed another powerforward for years.

The Lucic acquisition kind of reminds me of the Chris Simon acquisition before our cup run. Both heavy powerforwards who could fight, had some skill and weren’t the speediest. But Simon sure had a big impact on our playoff run.
Simon was a great acquisition. I can see the similarities, unfortunately their different contract situations makes the comparison kind of moot.

Chris Simon on an elite winger contract, I guess.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #3547
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I personally think Lucic has been fine since game 1. But last night he was really dialed in and made an impact in game. I think it helped that Bennett also probably had his best game of the season. I think they were feeding off each other’s energy. Hopefully chemistry is building there.
Yeah, by in large I think Lucic has gone as the team has gone. It hasn't been a brilliant start, but it's game to game improvement. I've liked him in the Flaming C. Also, I don't think we can underestimate the impact that Doc had on them (Bennett and Lucic) as well. He's getting into his groove way earlier than he did last year, and he's a dang good hockey player. I loved that line of Mangiapane/Lucic - Ryan - Bennett.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-18-2019 at 11:39 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #3548
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Countdown (up) to a 3rd round pick: Neal has his 9th of the season tonight. Lucic with 0.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #3549
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaedo View Post
Countdown (up) to a 3rd round pick: Neal has his 9th of the season tonight. Lucic with 0.
Thanks for the update, wasn't aware.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #3550
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread seriously needs to die. Feels like it gets bumped every time Neal gets a point, and quite frankly, it's annoying as hell.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #3551
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The Lucic lines is annoying, why add that.

Regardless a nice goal by Neal. Connor McDavid not on the ice, on a line with Nugent-Hopkins and Chiasson. Whatever he lost last season he's found again.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #3552
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Trade has long been completed.

Can the mods lock this up?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #3553
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Keep this thread. It's the most logical place to discuss James Neal and Milan Lucic in 1 thread
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #3554
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Keep this thread. It's the most logical place to discuss James Neal and Milan Lucic in 1 thread
Pfft. There is also the pre-game threads, game threads, post game threads, new arena thread, etc.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #3555
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Pfft. There is also the pre-game threads, game threads, post game threads, new arena thread, etc.
Don’t forget Jankowski threads
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #3556
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Also, TSN and Sportsnet bring it up constantly.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #3557
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The Lucic lines is annoying, why add that.

Regardless a nice goal by Neal. Connor McDavid not on the ice, on a line with Nugent-Hopkins and Chiasson. Whatever he lost last season he's found again.
It's relevant because it is part of the condition for the 3rd round pick.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 AM   #3558
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
This thread seriously needs to die. Feels like it gets bumped every time Neal gets a point, and quite frankly, it's annoying as hell.
I know it hurts your feelings when Neal scores, it hurts mine too. But some people are interested in tracking the compensatory 3rd round pick, and this is the most logical place for that, unless it is prefered we start a while new thread?
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #3559
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I know it hurts your feelings when Neal scores, it hurts mine too. But some people are interested in tracking the compensatory 3rd round pick, and this is the most logical place for that, unless it is prefered we start a while new thread?
Yes. Starting a 3rd round pick tracking thread sounds nice
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:15 AM   #3560
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do u think Neal will get boo'ed in his return?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote