Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #201
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I figure it's interesting as in the regular world and not the super tech tester world the practical use for cameras on phones won't matter since since like they said most times you photos are compressed and you're seeing them on a phone most of the time anyways.

So to me it made a ton of sense that the phones with high contrast and AI built into the automatic post processing were going to win. Pocophone surprised me as well, mostly for beating the samsung note 9, but that phone has been heralded as the best bang for buck phone for months now.

Shocked the P20 pro didn't make it further than it did but I figured the Mate20 would win.

But Dave2d was right, none of this should move the needle to switch phone because of a camera. But, if you're looking for one and you don't pos-process your own pictures and just post it after you take a pic, that video would be a great guide.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #202
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you guys using for a Twitter app?

I've been using Plume for years now, but am wondering if there is something better.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #203
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I've been using Plume for years now, but am wondering if there is something better.
Plume started giving me issues so I searched for another recently, mainly to use as a reliable widget. I'm using Owly currently.

It's good as a widget, and ok otherwise except I always struggle to find the search function when I need it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #204
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I use Falcon Pro 3.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #205
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use Twitter? What am I missing?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #206
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a Samsung J3 Prime and about 2 months ago it did a system update for the Samsung Experience 9.5. Since the update my battery life is miserable. It's okay for a while but then goes into a freefall and I can literally watch the battery percentage counting down. It just went from 65% down to 28% in the last 5 minutes. It has stayed at 28% for the last several minutes. The freefall can happen at anytime and sometimes has gone right down to 2%.

If I check my apps they aren't using the power. I am questioning if it's actually at 28% right now or it just can't count anymore. If I plug it back in the battery percentage will jump a lot quicker than it used to.

I've tried clearing the cache partition several times but it hasn't helped. It looks like Samsung Experience 10 might be out now but hasn't been pushed through to my phone yet. Is there a way to download it somewhere and force the update?

Last resort is a full system reset but I'm trying to avoid that because I'll loose a lot of stuff.

Update: it was 28% when I turned it off last night and 40% when I turned it on this morning, only to fall to 16% in about a minute. It's now been at 16% for the last 1/2 hr.

Last edited by shane_c; 12-22-2018 at 05:24 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #207
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

How old is it? My completely uneducated opinion, that is likely wrong, is that your battery is toast. My last cell phone started doing that and it was because of the battery.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #208
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
How old is it? My completely uneducated opinion, that is likely wrong, is that your battery is toast. My last cell phone started doing that and it was because of the battery.
Probably a year old. It was perfectly fine until it did the system update.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #209
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to give a plug for Nvidia shield. Holy smokes.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #210
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Just wanted to give a plug for Nvidia shield. Holy smokes.
What are you liking about it?

Doing some Plex research and it seems to be the best client for it but I'm sure there are other things I could use it for?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #211
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

Doing some Plex research and it seems to be the best client for it but I'm sure there are other things I could use it for?
I play my computer games on it. I haven't been able to make it work outside my house yet, but I am going to try it tonight at my Dad's home with his internet. Could be a work thing.

Using an app called gamestream you can play games on the shield on a big screen and there's no lag I can detect. Pretty spiffy.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #212
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

I've posted a few times on what I use mine for, but I'll expand a bit

Streaming - I sold my Xbox One as all I was using it for was a Netflix and Plex player. That paid for the Shield and gave me better clients for both (4K capable Netflix, Shield is able to natively play almost anything so no transcoding for Plex). Plus it's the only Android box that supports Prime Video

Gaming - Naturally after selling my Xbox One, a game I actually want to play (Forza Horizon 4) comes out. Not an issue though since I have a gaming PC, so installing it there allows me to stream it to the Shield to play on the big TV. And if you don't have a gaming PC, you can use GeForce Now, Nvidia's online game service. There's a handful of games that come included with the service (right now there's no charge as it's still in beta), and it also allows you play any supported game that's in your Steam library. I tested it with Street Fighter 4 just to see how responsive it was, and I couldn't detect any lag

Emulation - Still falls under gaming, but specifically you can install Retroarch and other emulators to play classic games all the way up to Gamecube and even some Wii games work. So if you have a Retropie hooked up, this can replace that too

Chromecast - The Shield has native Chromecast support. I've really enjoyed having that as part of my main set top box and never having to switch TV inputs

VPN - You can install a VPN directly on the Shield and have it only apply to specific apps. So for instance I exclude Netflix and Prime but route the NHL Gamecenter app through it so I can watch Flames games

Sideloading - Some apps are restricted by country, or are only officially supported on the Fire TV stick. But with the Shield you can download official .apk installers from www.apkmirror.com and install them anyway (or find a Fire TV .apk rip, https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/c..._tv_3_for_you/). So I'm able to install Hulu, route it through the VPN and login with my cousin's account

Basically out-of-the-box the Shield is the best TV box as is, but once you start playing around a bit you can really see the power of it and nothing else comes close
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #213
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Hemi, thanks. Lot's of great reasons in your post but I was basically sold at the end of your streaming summary.

Didn't realize that you could stream PC games with it, that's wild. I'm going to have to look into this more.

**edit**

Just looking closer at this now......

If I ran a Plex server on a dedicated PC and already have a very capable gaming rig, any reason to buy the pro version over the base version? As far as I can tell, only difference in the pro version is the HD size and included controller?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-07-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #214
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Wow Hemi, thanks. Lot's of great reasons in your post but I was basically sold at the end of your streaming summary.

Didn't realize that you could stream PC games with it, that's wild. I'm going to have to look into this more.

**edit**

Just looking closer at this now......

If I ran a Plex server on a dedicated PC and already have a very capable gaming rig, any reason to buy the pro version over the base version? As far as I can tell, only difference in the pro version is the HD size and included controller?

That's correct, also the Pro version has a built-in IR receiver, though you can buy a FLIRC to get the same functionality from the standard model
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #215
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The pro also has microUSB and microSD. It has a different remote too. It’s bluetooth and has a headphone jack which is great for watching tv in bed. It also charges via micro USB which can be annoying.

I think the regular version is fine for most people. When I bought mine apps couldn’t save data to external storage but they’ve changed that. The controller is ok but the location of the start button bugs me because I often rest my thumb there.

Game streaming can be hit or miss. Games like Dead Cells and Celeste play flawlessly, but games with lots of detail can show compression artifacts. That’s not a deal-breaker by any means. It all depends on your connection.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #216
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Regarding the Shield, and in-home streaming - does everyone using that feature have internet wired throughout their house? I have tried on wifi and had pretty sub-par experiences playing games that aren't all that taxing, like Fifa 18.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #217
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wired would almost certainly be better for that type of application but decent Wifi should still get the job done. What does your Wifi setup look like?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #218
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got a mesh system now, the TP-link deco m5. It's been a while since I tried the in-home streaming, but I remember it not being reliable on my steam link or my nvidia shield.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #219
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Samsung Galaxy S10 is going to be announced on February 20. I'm pretty excited about this phone since I'm set to replace my S7 (which is still a great phone, but I'm kinda bored of it). I'm hoping for an in-screen fingerprint scanner as I don't love the idea of a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone like the S8 & S9, although it's not a deal breaker. It's also going to retain the headphone jack, which is good since I still use mine all the time.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #220
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Samsung Galaxy S10 is going to be announced on February 20. I'm pretty excited about this phone since I'm set to replace my S7 (which is still a great phone, but I'm kinda bored of it). I'm hoping for an in-screen fingerprint scanner as I don't love the idea of a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone like the S8 & S9, although it's not a deal breaker. It's also going to retain the headphone jack, which is good since I still use mine all the time.
You troglodyte.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post: