Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #61
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
He said "1/3, 1/3, 1/3 as reported is the basis, but there's a lot more to it than that".

Why don't we all just actually wait and see what the details of it, before we start calling things "big fat lies"?
Hey Bunk

Do private companies have to sign confidentiality agreements to negotiate/do business with the city?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #62
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the present value of what is basically an interest free loan, the City's portion of the offer is worth somewhere around $75M. Which is actually closer to 1/7th.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Hey Bunk

Do private companies have to sign confidentiality agreements to negotiate/do business with the city?
I was asking myself the same thing. Or rather, is Ken King dumb enough to try and pull this off without an NDA?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #64
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Hey Bunk

In this kind of thing, very likely yes. In the Mayor's video he made last week he didn't touch on any of the financial details of a negotiation, because it would have run afoul of that agreement.

I'd imagine by the statement King/Bettman made, it ends the confidentiality agreement, and that's why Council voted today to allow the City to release the details of proposed financial details.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #65
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
How are you arriving at 1/9th? I'm a history grad, math isn't my thing.
The city portion to the Flames is no interest loan. So essentially the City would be paying the interest. Which works out to approximately 1/9 of the cost
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #66
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I don't get your math. I get that you're trying to make Nenshi look as bad as possible, but I just don't see how you're doing it.

You're saying that only the financing portion is the part that's being given by the City. Using the same math, how much are the Flames putting in?

If the City is putting in 1/9th of the cost, as you suggest, who is putting in the other 8/9ths?
I am trying to make Nenshi look bad?

I'm saying be accurate.

I don't know if 1/9 is accurate. Whatever the interest cost is on 30 year loan is accurate.

My dad paid half the cost of the first vehicle I bought, after I saved the first half. I repaid the other half over the next two years. I could ask him, but I don't think he'd spin it as saying he paif half of that '78 Ford half ton.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
If there was no ticket tax, the flames would simply charge higher ticket prices. So, the ticket tax is being fully funded by the flames.

Also, its is misconception that the city is putting up the initial funding for a ticket tax. The way a ticket tax works is that the flames take out a loan for 1/3 of the arena cost ($200m). And the ticket tax funds the interest on that loan and the principal repayment over a 30 year period.

The flames might ask the city to guarantee the loan so the flames get a lower interest rate, but the flames are the ones paying the interest and repaying the principal
This is the 'Merry-Go-Round.'

The Flames take out a loan do they? From whom? Let me guess...it rhymes with 'the City of Galgary?'

Not a town in Scotland.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I have no problem with that. Then call it what it is... an interest free 30 year loan. Don't say you are paying for 1/3 of the project.
One plays much better to the electorate than the other is my guess.

Im so confused on this stuff, but from what i understand it appears that the city EVENTUALLY wants the entire thing paid for by the CSEC.

Which is fine, but just say it as such.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #69
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
The city portion to the Flames is no interest loan. So essentially the City would be paying the interest. Which works out to approximately 1/9 of the cost
It all depends on the source of the repayment. If it's a district's property tax earmarked to repayment (CRL) it's very much a public contribution, because its citizens tax dollars being earmarked. That's how the East Village worked, but no one would argue that's not a "publicly funded" or maybe more accurately "publicly financed" deal. There's opportunity cost to such an earmarking, financing, debt capacity.

I guess in the end, what would be wrong with a public financing deal like this? Seems to be good for the City, because there's a source of repayment, it seems good for the flames, because it gives them capital up front enabling a project which presumably has financial upside for them. Throw in all the other things the City wants to fund in Victoria Park and that seems a win-win-win.

Last edited by Bunk; 09-13-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #70
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
In this kind of thing, very likely yes. In the Mayor's video he made last week he didn't touch on any of the financial details of a negotiation, because it would have run afoul of that agreement.

I'd imagine by the statement King/Bettman made, it ends the confidentiality agreement, and that's why Council voted today to allow the City to release the details of proposed financial details.
Made me wonder if this was the plan all along.

The CSEC can't take it public but the city can. They take the negotiation off line and then Nenshi releases the details to the public at large.

Good way to avoid breaking the NDA agreement themselves and get the process moving.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #71
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is the 'Merry-Go-Round.'

The Flames take out a loan do they? From whom? Let me guess...it rhymes with 'the City of Galgary?'

Not a town in Scotland.
Thanks Locke, I honestly believe you are hitting the nail on the head - CSEC wants a free apparatus to generate revenue.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #72
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am trying to make Nenshi look bad?

I'm saying be accurate.

I don't know if 1/9 is accurate. Whatever the interest cost is on 30 year loan is accurate.

My dad paid half the cost of the first vehicle I bought, after I saved the first half. I repaid the other half over the next two years. I could ask him, but I don't think he'd spin it as saying he paif half of that '78 Ford half ton.
Part if the one third could be infrastructure investment on the part of the city.

75 million as interest free loan on a 30 year term and 100 million in city infrastructure like roads, sewage, utilities etc.

An interest free loan and a free LRT terminal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #73
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so dumb on these things.
If the flames are offering 1/3, and through a ticket tax another 1/3 and will get a loan from the city of 1/3, but have to pay it back, how is that not the Flames paying all the amount and the city eventually having paid nothing?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #74
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole thing has really put a damper on my excitement for the season 😕
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Sol
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #75
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sure. Show me the component that benefits the public.
I'm absolutely on the side of the city and taxpayers on this but for a smaller scale example:

The $14 million overpass across MacLeod Trail to Chinook mall was funded 50% by Cadillac Fairview and 50% by the City of Calgary (and taxpayers). I'm not aware of any arrangement for any sort of payback. There's obviously benefit to the city (fix pedestrian crossing issues across MacLeod) and a commercial benefit to the mall (funnel warm bodies directly into the food court).

Having a new arena facility and the resulting effect of redevelopment in the area does provide some tangible public benefit even if you remove the NHL games component.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #76
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The city isn't paying 1/3 of the costs if the city is treating it as a loan. That's like saying the bank is paying 80% of the cost of your house.

Call a spade a spade.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #77
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if that's their offer, so be it. I'm not saying it should be 1/3 or any amount.
But for Nenshi to say city offered to pay 1/3 of the cost is disingenuous at least, and more accurately a big fat lie.
Are you saying that the city saying it's offer to pay 1/3 is disingenuous because the city wants to recoup it's cost?

Because if that's the case then you need to apply the same logic to the Flames.
They are going to recoup their costs too right? So they aren't paying anywhere near 2/3 or even 90%.

If the criteria for "Paying" is that you don't get any of your money back, then neither side is being very genuine with what they are proposing to pay.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #78
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
If the flames are offering 1/3, and through a ticket tax another 1/3 and will get a loan from the city of 1/3, but have to pay it back, how is that not the Flames paying all the amount and the city eventually having paid nothing?
Yeah that's how I am understanding it as well.

Again, that's fine but just label it that way.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #79
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And if that's their offer, so be it. I'm not saying it should be 1/3 or any amount.
But for Nenshi to say city offered to pay 1/3 of the cost is disingenuous at least, and more accurately a big fat lie.
How is it any different from the Flames ownership claiming to fund $200 million? They intend to recoup their investment don't they?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #80
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Well, the Flames are the ones receiving profits from the building. We could reverse it. How about the City runs the building and earns the profit and pays CSEC their 1/3 back over 30 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread