Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #161
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
PUMPED!!! We ended up getting tickets yesterday through the presale. I had softball so couldnt jump on as it opened, but the seats are in Sec 339, row 21 (right on the sec 340 aisle). Had lots of options in Row 1, but I wanted to be up a bit higher to see the full field.

Will be our first major rugby game...so jacked.
Have fun! You've got great seats at the best rugby stadium in Australia (also 4th best in the world according to this article: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...world-11366548)

Also, good call not going for row 1. The views are better higher up and you will be under cover in case it rains.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #162
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PUMPED!!! We ended up getting tickets yesterday through the presale. I had softball so couldnt jump on as it opened, but the seats are in Sec 339, row 21 (right on the sec 340 aisle). Had lots of options in Row 1, but I wanted to be up a bit higher to see the full field.

Will be our first major rugby game...so jacked.

Did you have fun?

I didn't see the game, sounded like a shoot out.

Got to see the SA v Irish game.

Sadly, SA won, but played less rugby than the Irish.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #163
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Did you have fun?

I didn't see the game, sounded like a shoot out.

Got to see the SA v Irish game.

Sadly, SA won, but played less rugby than the Irish.
Game isn't until Sept 10 in Brisbane...but rest assured it'll be a frikken blast.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #164
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Game isn't until Sept 10 in Brisbane...but rest assured it'll be a frikken blast.

Sorry, half reading.

Make sure you pick a good theme for your fancy dress.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #165
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super Rugby playoffs start this weekend:

#5 Highlanders @ #4 Brumbies
#8 Sharks @ #1 Hurricanes
#7 Crusaders @ #2 Lions
#6 Chiefs @ #3 Stormers

There was some controversy over the new playoff format but it worked out pretty good this season with the top 8 teams making the playoffs. The New Zealand teams completely dominated and feature in each quarter final. Even their last place team, the Blues, finished with a respectable 8-6-1 record. Also, the 6 time last place Lions were a surprise finishing 2nd overall.

My pick is the Hurricanes win. They were red hot to end the season and home advantage will be a major factor with the ridiculous travel involved.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #166
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damnit crusaders! We were so close to having all NZ semi finals but 3 out of 4 still ain't bad. My only hope of attending a playoff game now is if it's highlanders-chiefs final but I'm backing the hurricanes to win their semifinal.

Can you believe that the Hurricanes 41-0 win was the first playoff shutout in super rugby history, and it was followed up a few hours later by the second with the Chiefs winning 60-0 in Cape Town?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #167
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Damnit crusaders! We were so close to having all NZ semi finals but 3 out of 4 still ain't bad. My only hope of attending a playoff game now is if it's highlanders-chiefs final but I'm backing the hurricanes to win their semifinal.
The NZ teams were so good this season. In a year with ridiculous travel their insane depth really paid of. By contrast it was a horrible year for Australian rugby going 0-3 hosting England and then only having one Super Rugby playoff team.

Quote:
Can you believe that the Hurricanes 41-0 win was the first playoff shutout in super rugby history, and it was followed up a few hours later by the second with the Chiefs winning 60-0 in Cape Town?
Where are you getting 60-0 from? It was 60-21. Still a blowout but not a shutout.

I wasn't surprised the Hurricanes won a blowout shutout. With the new playoff format of 8 team the Sharks were the pretty much the worst playoff team in history. I was surprised a playoff shutout had never happened before though.

My pick is a Canes vs Lions final.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #168
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The NZ teams were so good this season. In a year with ridiculous travel their insane depth really paid of. By contrast it was a horrible year for Australian rugby going 0-3 hosting England and then only having one Super Rugby playoff team.

Where are you getting 60-0 from? It was 60-21. Still a blowout but not a shutout.

I wasn't surprised the Hurricanes won a blowout shutout. With the new playoff format of 8 team the Sharks were the pretty much the worst playoff team in history. I was surprised a playoff shutout had never happened before though.

My pick is a Canes vs Lions final.
Yeah I think I was half asleep when I read the score of that game
Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 AM   #169
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The final is set: Lions at Hurricanes August 6th 7:35pm Wellington time. A few facts:

-Both teams had great seasons finishing 1st and 2nd overall while outscoring their playoff opponents 66-9 for the Hurricanes and 84-55 for the Lions.
-It is the 2nd year in a row the final is in Wellington. The Canes lost last season to the Highlanders.
-The Hurricanes beat the Lions 50-17 in Johannesburg in their one match this season
-Both teams are looking for their first Super Ruby Championship. The Hurricanes are the only New Zealand team without a title win while the Lions are the trying to become the 2nd South African team to win.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #170
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go Canes! My first live rugby game was Canes/Chiefs in Wellington a few years back. It's a great stadium that gets really loud when there's a good crowd as the roof keeps a lot of noise in. The winds in Wellington can play havoc on the kicking game if it's a stormy night. Also have to respect what the Lions have done this year, going from bottom feeder to legitimate contender. I still believe the South African teams benefitted from playing more games against trash teams this year, but the Lions have won two playoff games against very good NZ teams so there's no doubting their status as a top team.

Should be a hell of a final!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #171
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aviva Premiership on TV:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/201...ership-canada/

Quote:
Old 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #172
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if anyone else is planning on watching some of the Premiership, but the Leicester/Gloucester match yesterday was excellent. Worcester/Saracens are closing in on kickoff right now on SN West.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #173
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know if anyone else is planning on watching some of the Premiership, but the Leicester/Gloucester match yesterday was excellent. Worcester/Saracens are closing in on kickoff right now on SN West.
I missed the game(s), but plan to catch some. Can't decide if I will get SNW, depends on the time for games.

At this point in the season the Premiership plays good rugby, but I find that when the dog days of winter arrive, it gets a little tough to watch at times.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #174
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have fun! You've got great seats at the best rugby stadium in Australia (also 4th best in the world according to this article: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...world-11366548)

Also, good call not going for row 1. The views are better higher up and you will be under cover in case it rains.
Hey FireGilbert, are you doing any fancy dress for the game?

Quote:
Old 09-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #175
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hey FireGilbert, are you doing any fancy dress for the game?
I'm not going to the game, FLAMESRULE is.

I haven't been to as much rugby as I'd like in the past year. Just one sevens, one league and one union game.

I'm very glad I didn't go to the Bledisloe the other week though, what a bloodbath. It has been a horrible year for Australian Rugby.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #176
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I should note here that Rugby Championship is on TV in the middle of the night. New Zealand plays Argentina and then South Africa plays Australia and the games are on TSN. Should be excellent games.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #177
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, surely late to the party but holy crapsauce I just watched the New Zealand/Argentina game from a while ago and that was pure, unadulterated madness. What a match!

The All Blacks were rocking on their heels for quite a while and the start of the second half was some of the best Rugby I've seen for a long time from both sides.

But the culmination of it all was watching the All Blacks pick themselves up, dust themselves off and then just absolutely ruin their opponents.

Dont take me wrong, the Pumas put in a hell of an effort and at times really put their backs to the wall, but watching the ABs just get it together and then relentlessly punish their opponents was a thing of beauty.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #178
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, surely late to the party but holy crapsauce I just watched the New Zealand/Argentina game from a while ago and that was pure, unadulterated madness. What a match!

The All Blacks were rocking on their heels for quite a while and the start of the second half was some of the best Rugby I've seen for a long time from both sides.

But the culmination of it all was watching the All Blacks pick themselves up, dust themselves off and then just absolutely ruin their opponents.

Dont take me wrong, the Pumas put in a hell of an effort and at times really put their backs to the wall, but watching the ABs just get it together and then relentlessly punish their opponents was a thing of beauty.
You are so late to the party that you are early for the next one. The two teams play again this Saturday in Buenos Aires which means it will be on at a good time for Canadian viewers.

Yes it was a great game that was closer than the final score. The ABs are dominating with superior depth. Other teams can be even with them for 40 minutes but lack the bench to compete once the subs start playing in the 2nd half.

I have been very impressed with the Pumas this season however. I'd say they are now on par with South Africa and Australia.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #179
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are so late to the party that you are early for the next one. The two teams play again this Saturday in Buenos Aires which means it will be on at a good time for Canadian viewers.

Yes it was a great game that was closer than the final score. The ABs are dominating with superior depth. Other teams can be even with them for 40 minutes but lack the bench to compete once the subs start playing in the 2nd half.

I have been very impressed with the Pumas this season however. I'd say they are now on par with South Africa and Australia.
1. Yes.

2. Also Yes.

3. You have to admit though, a hell of a game. The bench is going to be HUGE in Rugby in the near future, NZ can launch waves of 1st team players at you and just grind you into the earth.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 AM   #180
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Pocock's hand after surgery. Do not click on this link if you are squeamish.

NSFW!