Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM   #1
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default YYC Ball Hockey

Not sure how popular this thread will be but just curious if there is a lot of ball hockey players here on CP. I'm sure most of you play or have played ice hockey growing up but as a kid of immigrant (and poor) parents, I never played any organized sports growing up

It was street hockey, football, baseball, tag, etc. I wish we had organized ball hockey leagues for kids like they do now. I have four boys and I have put the three oldest in ball hockey (and parkour, soccer, T-ball, etc) and coached them all. My four year old will start in the fall. These boys will be much better (which isn't hard) than I am now as they will have the structure, coaching and organized games growing up

Personally, I play on two Superleague teams, I help run a semi competitive and small league on Monday nights and just completed a coed season in WBHL playing with my wife.

I've played with and against some posters on here (Scorpion, AC and Slava are the main ones). My SL teams are currently in the playoffs. My Div 4 team lost to AC's team and my Div 5 team lost game 1 of the semi finals last night.

Anyone else here play a lot of ball hockey?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:59 AM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, as mentioned above, I love playing! I play in that league with albertgq mostly as a sub these days (and current reigning champion as a super sub!). I also play in a league with some guys from now through June. It's more about the camaraderie and a beer or two after the games at this point as opposed to hard running, really good hockey!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:16 PM   #3
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Not YYC, but the BC Ball Hockey Association just got booted from Canadian Ball Hockey Association for an absolute laundry list of accusations that include, but are not limited to: Having a convicted sex offender on the BoG, using their office to enact vendettas and punish people, misuse of funds and lying about connections and accreditation to government related bodies.

Anyone connected to BC Ball Hockey is not shocked by any of this. The former head of BCBHA, and guy who ran the single largest ball hockey league, and only lower mainland league that had accreditation to send teams to National level events, was well known for using his position in the BCBHA to stop other leagues in the lower mainland from getting BCBHA accreditation, and thus CBHA accreditation. He has also been accused of rape and date rape multiple times, finally accepting a guilty plea for a charge in 2021.

While he sold the league and stepped down from his position, he is still connected to the BCBHA board and because of his guilty plea while still on the board has now seen BCBHA lose its status.

Locally it will be interesting to watch this as the head referee for the BCBHA is also the head referee of the CBHA. The sad part is, anyone in BC, whether Adult or Minor, will likely lose any chance to play at a national or inter-provincial level.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:47 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember years ago CP used to have a gathering of members to just play some casual ball hockey outdoors, it was great to meet the members that I did. It was too bad that I sucked as much as I did back then.

But it was fun.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:52 PM   #5
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Not YYC, but the BC Ball Hockey Association just got booted from Canadian Ball Hockey Association for an absolute laundry list of accusations that include, but are not limited to: Having a convicted sex offender on the BoG, using their office to enact vendettas and punish people, misuse of funds and lying about connections and accreditation to government related bodies.

Anyone connected to BC Ball Hockey is not shocked by any of this. The former head of BCBHA, and guy who ran the single largest ball hockey league, and only lower mainland league that had accreditation to send teams to National level events, was well known for using his position in the BCBHA to stop other leagues in the lower mainland from getting BCBHA accreditation, and thus CBHA accreditation. He has also been accused of rape and date rape multiple times, finally accepting a guilty plea for a charge in 2021.

While he sold the league and stepped down from his position, he is still connected to the BCBHA board and because of his guilty plea while still on the board has now seen BCBHA lose its status.

Locally it will be interesting to watch this as the head referee for the BCBHA is also the head referee of the CBHA. The sad part is, anyone in BC, whether Adult or Minor, will likely lose any chance to play at a national or inter-provincial level.
Oh wow. That's crazy. I like to think I'm well informed with ball hockey news but I haven't heard about this at all. I'll definitely be chatting with some buddies to see if they've heard of this. That's wild.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I remember years ago CP used to have a gathering of members to just play some casual ball hockey outdoors, it was great to meet the members that I did. It was too bad that I sucked as much as I did back then.

But it was fun.
You should make a comeback!
Old 04-12-2024, 03:02 PM   #7
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Oh wow. That's crazy. I like to think I'm well informed with ball hockey news but I haven't heard about this at all. I'll definitely be chatting with some buddies to see if they've heard of this. That's wild.

It just happened today.

I am currently on a call with one of the people who pushed the complaints to CBHA and then I play with one of the heads of one of the local minor organizations.

It's been a long time coming.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:15 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
You should make a comeback!

Way too old and too slow to keep up with you whippersnappers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 05:16 PM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played for many years, but like Crunch above, I'm done. Knees are shot

Last edited by Cheese; 04-12-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: