Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #3641
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Urgent question - do you guys know if there are bike racks to lock to at Deerfoot City? Someone booked an event there tonight and I'm thinking of cycling from downtown.
I have not been there in quite a while but I've seen some racks by the food court area sort of in the middle of the development. If you have a chain lock they are lots of really tall light posts that could work.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #3642
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://goo.gl/maps/TmUzcasWN5Yb2kTDA

Yes. Streetview is your friend.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:29 PM   #3643
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Urgent question - do you guys know if there are bike racks to lock to at Deerfoot City? Someone booked an event there tonight and I'm thinking of cycling from downtown.
Hopefully you can return to your bike before someone takes it for themselves
Old 06-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #3644
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video at the link:
https://mashable.com/video/infinity-...tephen-henrich

Interesting concept, but lots of challenges to overcome. I always like seeing these types of out there ideas, even if they probably won't ever work properly.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #3645
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that looks insanely complicated.

Yesterday i had the air shock in my RM Altitude replaced with a coil shock. today after work will be the maiden voyage. I have an 800 lb psring in there, but i am thinking i may need a stronger one given i am "big boned" and am not adverse to eating fried chicken and cronuts
Old 06-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #3646
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m actually pretty stoked about the Bird/Neuron ebikes hitting the streets, chance to try out the mechanics outside of a sales pitch for any shop/maker, low commitment for giving ebikes a try.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #3647
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freaking geese, blocking both the pathways at the Baines (zoo) bridge this morning with their babies. I had to dismount, and hold my bike in front of me telling them to back off into the bush so I could ride by. One big one was hissing like crazy. Fun times at 5:40am.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #3648
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I was at the zoo a couple of weeks about and toddler (maybe 2?) was advancing on a goose. The goose was backing up but the kid just kept getting closer - as in nose to beak close. The goose was going bananas. It was hissing, bobbing and weaving and the kid just kept getting closer. I was on my way over to intervene but the kids mother got to the situation first and got him out of there.

I thought I was going to have to fight a goose - I didn’t want to have to fight a goose but would have if the situation called for it… it was close to a goose fighting kinda day. I reckon that kid got pretty lucky

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #3649
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Video at the link:
https://mashable.com/video/infinity-...tephen-henrich

Interesting concept, but lots of challenges to overcome. I always like seeing these types of out there ideas, even if they probably won't ever work properly.
But...why?
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #3650
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Came across the new Bird / Neuron bikes downtown, the homeless had already tried to strip one of them clean. Mental illness? You can't even use those wheels on either bikes they have an electric hub and they are completely different.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #3651
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Came across the new Bird / Neuron bikes downtown, the homeless had already tried to strip one of them clean. Mental illness? You can't even use those wheels on either bikes they have an electric hub and they are completely different.
Never under estimate the ingenuity of the homeless, not even joking. wouldn't be surprised if they have a completely separate use for those parts that isn't bike related.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #3652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I was at the zoo a couple of weeks about and toddler (maybe 2?) was advancing on a goose. The goose was backing up but the kid just kept getting closer - as in nose to beak close. The goose was going bananas. It was hissing, bobbing and weaving and the kid just kept getting closer. I was on my way over to intervene but the kids mother got to the situation first and got him out of there.

I thought I was going to have to fight a goose - I didn’t want to have to fight a goose but would have if the situation called for it… it was close to a goose fighting kinda day. I reckon that kid got pretty lucky

It’s no wolf, but it might still net you a tv interview.

Also, I think if you replace “goose” with “kid” in that last paragraph it could make for a pretty entertaining situation.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #3653
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
But...why?

I am guessing you get an extra workout trying to steer/pedal that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:13 AM   #3654
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last Friday and i a co-worker and i took on highway 1a. We wound up riding from fenlands rec ctr in banff to the samson mall in lake louise - 115km with a moving time of a little under 5 hrs. the wind was stronger than i would have liked. We rode into it along vermillion lakes and then it was a sideways wind along 1A - so we were sort of against it on the way to LL, and it was somewhat helpful on the way back - whihch is the way i want it

my observations were:
- kms 40 to 50 were really tough for me. At one point my chain jumped off my cassette, thought i had it fixed, only to then have a slow speed tip over as the chain was not sitting on the jockey wheel. i felt like a donkey as an oncoming motorist stopped to ask if i was ok
- we saw three bears, include two that were right beside the highway at the 1A overhead sign at the LL end
- going over those texas gates near LL (on the road from the ski hill) on a gravel bike is terryfying
- kms 85 to 96 were also real difficult for me - i think mostly because i had not done a century in a long time as most of my long rides on my GG are in the 60km range
- my coworker (a runner) would do some jackrabbit takeoffs, and i would then reel him back in. it was also funny in that i would always catch him on a lot of the downhills. i attributed that to me being a heavier guy and having a better bike with less rolling resistance in the wheels

in the end i was glad we did it. We had initially planned to ride highwood pass, but i then kept seeing reprots of snow still; however, it is my understanding that it opened late last week as well
Old 06-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #3655
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
last Friday and i a co-worker and i took on highway 1a. We wound up riding from fenlands rec ctr in banff to the samson mall in lake louise - 115km with a moving time of a little under 5 hrs. the wind was stronger than i would have liked. We rode into it along vermillion lakes and then it was a sideways wind along 1A - so we were sort of against it on the way to LL, and it was somewhat helpful on the way back - whihch is the way i want it

my observations were:
- kms 40 to 50 were really tough for me. At one point my chain jumped off my cassette, thought i had it fixed, only to then have a slow speed tip over as the chain was not sitting on the jockey wheel. i felt like a donkey as an oncoming motorist stopped to ask if i was ok
- we saw three bears, include two that were right beside the highway at the 1A overhead sign at the LL end
- going over those texas gates near LL (on the road from the ski hill) on a gravel bike is terryfying
- kms 85 to 96 were also real difficult for me - i think mostly because i had not done a century in a long time as most of my long rides on my GG are in the 60km range
- my coworker (a runner) would do some jackrabbit takeoffs, and i would then reel him back in. it was also funny in that i would always catch him on a lot of the downhills. i attributed that to me being a heavier guy and having a better bike with less rolling resistance in the wheels

in the end i was glad we did it. We had initially planned to ride highwood pass, but i then kept seeing reprots of snow still; however, it is my understanding that it opened late last week as well
I'm a coward, so get off and walk(road bike). I'll do them on my mountain bike. It's a great ride with the right weather and good wind. I've done it in cool windy rain and it was a bit of misery.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:27 AM   #3656
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually booked today and tomorrow off to do the Highwood pass, but at the top it’s showing a high of 1 and 20 mm of precipitation, and you’d be lucky if it was rain and not snow. Really sucks, I was looking forward to it.

A friend of mine was able to do it yesterday morning though (I was working) and looked like a really nice day.

As for the 1A, and word on Louise doing the parkway to pint thing again? It was a great excuse to do an awesome ride and then have some food and a beer at the end.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #3657
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did Highwood on Friday -- checked the full gate to gate to gate experience off the bucket list.
Went again on Saturday from the south side but we turned around at Lipsett due to cold and rain at the top.
Was hoping to go one last time today but sounds like a raft would be more appropriate than a bike.

As for Parkway to Pint, it looks like they are doing it again! This year they're giving out a can of beer and a hat, plus $6 pints / $15 menu items:
https://www.skilouise.com/things-to-...way-to-pint22/

Sounds like they're even planning on renting out e-bikes for folks who want to do Louise > Castle Junction > Back to Louise.
Also sounds like they have actual bike parking at the gondola this time too lol.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-13-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #3658
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ going gate to gate to gate on highwood is impressive - doing it two days in a would be a real achievement
Old 06-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #3659
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ going gate to gate to gate on highwood is impressive - doing it two days in a would be a real achievement
The second ride was a different friend group where we were just aiming for the summit. South route so it ended up being 64km with the early turnaround.

Gotta build up the endurance for the Badlands fondo!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #3660
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That’s great to hear about Parkway to Pint! I actually prefer to drive to Louise, then go from there to highway 1 intersection and back, gets you just over 100km. Or just go to Castle junction and back for around 50. Then the ride is done and you can kick back with a beer and some food.

As opposed to it being the halfway point, and trying to ride 50k back to Banff after a big meal and a couple beers, not so awesome.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: