Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #3561
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

good news, i guess. the downside is that this section of path would be closed for weeks/months while they fix it.

wonder what the fix is for this? rip up the asphalt and cut back the roots or just build up the asphalt to give a smooth surface or other?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #3562
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
good news, i guess. the downside is that this section of path would be closed for weeks/months while they fix it.

wonder what the fix is for this? rip up the asphalt and cut back the roots or just build up the asphalt to give a smooth surface or other?
It seems most/all of the canal pathway is a little narrower (2.7-3.0m measured on google maps) than the current standard of 3.3-3.5m, so hopefully they can fix that.

The detour map is going to be hilariously bad. 50 Ave to 52 St (Mattamy Greenway) looks plausible at first glance, but embarrassingly bad on closer inspection. There might be better places to dedicate the resources, but it's also a chicken/egg thing where we gotta start somewhere. South side of 50 Ave (north of train tracks) could have nearly 3km of uninterrupted path connecting canal path and greenway path (the canal path currently intersects with 52 St 5km to the south). There is a short missing-link on the greenway path for about 60 meters south of 50 ave, too.

There are a few hilariously bad bus stops along that stretch, and this will actually be an important connector to the Lynnwood greenline station, and they really need to make some improvements if there is any hope of their ridiculous catchment area for the SE route to actually happen:

Spoiler!
#greenlinerant

Does it seem to anyone else that the Google Maps bike layer has gotten really screwed up since the satellite image update a couple months ago? Or maybe it's always been this bad? I've probably submitted 50+ edits in the last few months.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #3563
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Hopefully they do the repairs in the shoulder season like spring or fall. I have two main reasons for taking the canal path from downtown to Copperfield.

- Avoiding a lot of pedestrians on the pathways.
- Avoiding hills.

The latter is less of an issue now that the new path by Bonnybrook is open. Just leaves me with the Douglasdale hill. I just don't know how many people would "have to" take that pathway unless you work in the industrial area around 52nd.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #3564
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Hopefully they do the repairs in the shoulder season like spring or fall. I have two main reasons for taking the canal path from downtown to Copperfield.

- Avoiding a lot of pedestrians on the pathways.
- Avoiding hills.

The latter is less of an issue now that the new path by Bonnybrook is open. Just leaves me with the Douglasdale hill. I just don't know how many people would "have to" take that pathway unless you work in the industrial area around 52nd.
You can also ride up 50th to 52nd and then take the bike path beside 52nd all the way.
50th is in the industrial area but its two lanes each way and traffic isn't really significant in after 515
Old 05-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #3565
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

looked att he home outdoor temp this moring and it said it was 0 at 6.30. Put on the toe warmers, thicker gloves and ear covering and about 10minutes in i wish i did not have them on as with the sun it seemed warmer.

This morning i also lugged my 10 pound bike lock to work in addition to my usual clothes and laptop. it was a real relief to take off the back pack.

would be a real treat to have some helpful wind on the way home.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:57 PM   #3566
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
looked att he home outdoor temp this moring and it said it was 0 at 6.30. Put on the toe warmers, thicker gloves and ear covering and about 10minutes in i wish i did not have them on as with the sun it seemed warmer.

This morning i also lugged my 10 pound bike lock to work in addition to my usual clothes and laptop. it was a real relief to take off the back pack.

would be a real treat to have some helpful wind on the way home.

it's always a balance this time of year between being too warm or too cold... both inbound and outbound of work. Cos sometimes you'd rather wear something than try to stuff even more into your backpack. Thankfully a bike parking spot that allows you to leave your lock makes a huge difference... plus leaving shoes and sometimes other gear at work can lessen the load.
That southerly to SE wind today sure was a strong one. Hope it was in your favour? Always good to check wind direction before leaving and have a few favourable optional routes. Even with that strong tailwind today I passed some people who seemed to be struggling along at 15kph... meanwhile I was more than double that... (safely, or course, and only in wide open sections).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #3567
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Yeah- it’s funny that in September people often comment “aren’t you glad it’s getting cooler out?” They all seem shocked when I tell them to give me 32 degree summer days. At least then I know what to wear- just shorts and a tshirt.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:52 AM   #3568
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the folks that manage the building say you can't leave your bike lock there; however, i was chatting with a guy in the change room last week, and he said folks leave their locks there. I left mine thier discretely. I also leave a selection of shoes and a shave kit in my desk to aviod transporting this stuff daily.

Once again the wind last night was out of the south, which meant some extra work to get home. I am trying to think that it is just extra training, but it would be nice to have a tailwind soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
it's always a balance this time of year between being too warm or too cold... both inbound and outbound of work. Cos sometimes you'd rather wear something than try to stuff even more into your backpack. Thankfully a bike parking spot that allows you to leave your lock makes a huge difference... plus leaving shoes and sometimes other gear at work can lessen the load.
That southerly to SE wind today sure was a strong one. Hope it was in your favour? Always good to check wind direction before leaving and have a few favourable optional routes. Even with that strong tailwind today I passed some people who seemed to be struggling along at 15kph... meanwhile I was more than double that... (safely, or course, and only in wide open sections).
Old 05-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #3569
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

So say guy hasn’t owned a bike in 15+ years, but is interested in a basic commuter/city bike for getting to work and running basic errands.
  • Should I be renting first to determine a preferred style of bike?
  • Any recommend shops for a clueless bike Luddite?
  • For those who commute North of DT, what’s the best strategy for the massive hill into Crescent Heights/Renfrew area?

I’ve no interest in spandex or performance gear, just looking to expand my human powered radius.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #3570
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you give us your community and approximate work address I'm sure the North guys could give you a good route that hopefully won't discourage you to not commute by bike. That hill is a beast, but there are ways around it if you add a couple kms.

A mistake I see in people getting into riding again, is purchasing a bike with knobby tires because that's what the mountain bike had in their teens. Unless you're going on dirt and gravel paths, stick with smooth tires.

If you're just getting back into cycling, a hybrid bike is probably a good choice. Something where you're sitting a little more upright. Something like a Trek FX. Budget is typically a big factor when choosing the bike as each range will have different components.

Most bike shops should be fine. I would choose one that's closer to home or work so if you do need any service work done you're not travelling too far. The shops I'm not a fan of are Pedalhead Roadworks and Cactus. Stick with shops that are exclusively bike shops, not the ones that convert to a ski shop in the winter.

Renting or borrowing a bike for a commute isn't a terrible idea to see if it's something you'd like doing.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #3571
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The easiest way up the hill is this path(currently under repairs).

https://goo.gl/maps/7uRNzRrsLPQqQ3yYA

Note that it turns to gravel on the way up. Next easiest is this one, paved all the way:

https://goo.gl/maps/QhQFqXx2fa94vUkw5

If you are further west, the 10th st bike lane isn't to bad, it's what I usually use. Turn east once you pass SAIT onto 13th ave.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #3572
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would second Ktrain's advice not to be tempted by the knobby tires or suspension. If you start wanting to explore off pathway then you get to buy a new bike, N+1 baby!

A comfortable hybrid will give you great range for your dollar. I don't think you need to rent to see what you're getting into. A good bike shop should have a bike close to your size and preferred style that you can take for a test ride around the neighbourhood (might be harder with current supply chain issues though).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #3573
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are using it for errands, ALWAYS lock it, or it will get stolen. Get a good U lock.

And often the best bike shop is the one closest to you.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #3574
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regualr John - I would also say that a bike lock does not guarantee any level of security for your bike. If you cant see your bike, it is in danger of being stolen.

a bike lock just means it will wake someone with a battery powered tool 30 seconds to steal it instead of 10.

i would recommend getting to a bike shop today to look at bikes, as many shops do not have a lot of stock currently. For casual commutting and riding, a bike at sportchek may fit your needs - you might want to have a bike like this looked at by somone who knows bikes to be sure it is assembled properly and is safe
Old 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #3575
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post
So say guy hasn’t owned a bike in 15+ years, but is interested in a basic commuter/city bike for getting to work and running basic errands.
  • For those who commute North of DT, what’s the best strategy for the massive hill into Crescent Heights/Renfrew area?

I’ve no interest in spandex or performance gear, just looking to expand my human powered radius.
Fuzz's links are the best for Crescent Hts; 8 Ave is okay to get over to Renfrew (it could/should be a lot better) - the Edmonton Tr crossing looks particularly messy (maybe best to dismount onto the sidewalk to get across until you're more confident, though even then I'd probably do that at rush hour).

You could also consider taking the long way around and accessing Renfrew from the east (up 8 ave or a couple pathway options just north/south). I don't think the grade is any better/worse, but it might be a better on-road experience.

Unfortunately there aren't great N-S routes [at least for beginners] between Centre St and Nose Creek path; the Memorial Dr crossings aren't great in terms of how they interface on the north side, but you might eventually find a more direct path there.

It's good to explore around on a weekend, especially to familiarize with your on-road segments.

Lastly...you don't need to go full spandex, but once you try real bike shorts with a chamois (padding), you'll never want to ride without!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #3576
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular_John View Post

I live in Renfrew and there are several options you can take for the hill. I sort them by my personal preference:

1) Telus Spark switchback - essentially take a longer way home on the river pathway from downtown and then go up the switchback that dumps you at Tom Campbell's dog park. Probably the easiest climb of all the options and also pretty nice. It's about 4km longer ride though versus a more direct route.
2) Go up 9a St from Bridgeland up to Renfrew. it's a very long but much more gradual grade. I prefer riding down this road in the morning versus back up it again at the end of the day. I take this route most when I'm pressed for time.
3) Crescent Heights walking path - I basically never ride this one. Too many pedestrians and the grade is pretty steep. I also don't like riding across Centre St. and Edmonton trail.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #3577
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

About 5 years ago I started cycling. The most common theme I heard with regards to a bike was to get a decent one from a bike shop as opposed to Canadian Tire or Sport Chek. (Including lots of great advice here.)

I ended up getting hybrid bike- which is a great balance between being sturdy, and light weight. Able to handle a few bumps along the way, but light enough with 700c tires to provide less rolling resistance. I had been looking at a $200 bike to start with, but a friend explained it to me this way. If I buy the $600 bike and end up hating it- I would have no problem selling it for $450. However if I buy the $200 bike- at the time the used market for that bike would have gotten me less than $100. So in the end I would still be "risking" the same amount of money; however the big thing being that I would have a greater chance of sticking with it if I had a bike that was good for me.

5 years later I'm still riding all the time.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 02:09 AM   #3578
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

CP cyclists...if you want to experience something rare and insane, try night-biking through a sea of red with police blocking vehicle traffic for 10 blocks. Try taking your bike from the dome through the red mile and back after a game 7 victory.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-16-2022 at 02:13 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #3579
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
About 5 years ago I started cycling. The most common theme I heard with regards to a bike was to get a decent one from a bike shop as opposed to Canadian Tire or Sport Chek. (Including lots of great advice here.)

I ended up getting hybrid bike- which is a great balance between being sturdy, and light weight. Able to handle a few bumps along the way, but light enough with 700c tires to provide less rolling resistance. I had been looking at a $200 bike to start with, but a friend explained it to me this way. If I buy the $600 bike and end up hating it- I would have no problem selling it for $450. However if I buy the $200 bike- at the time the used market for that bike would have gotten me less than $100. So in the end I would still be "risking" the same amount of money; however the big thing being that I would have a greater chance of sticking with it if I had a bike that was good for me.

5 years later I'm still riding all the time.
This really is an excellent point, I don’t really have a hard budget in mind, looking at Mec they’ve got options from $650 up to $3,500

We’ll say somewhere the $1,000 range (+/- 20%) is a comfortable number for me.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #3580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a good price range to deal with. Should be able to find some options for a good bike(not Sport Chek).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: