Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2022, 09:07 AM   #3541
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm sure that removing any trees would require a significant and lengthy environment assessment.
I assessed it. It's cool. Lots more around. That particular patch is a fire hazard, considering it's called Fireside. Best to murder them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #3542
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I assessed it. It's cool. Lots more around. That particular patch is a fire hazard, considering it's called Fireside. Best to murder them.
If only Parks Canada was that logical.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #3543
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That lot usually fills up by 10:30 or so. Adding the extra vehicles will have people out of luck.
Apparently train station has a fair bit of capacity now.

HWY 546 west of Sandy McNabb will be closed to vehicles until May 14. IMO it's an even nicer ride than the Parkway (fairly recent paving until the big hill; good chance of seeing sheep). IIRC there is a nice viewpoint ~6-7kms in...a big down/up a bit beyond that isn't great for families, but good for getting your legs back!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #3544
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no need for parking or cutting down trees, Fenlands plus the train station is plenty of space.

If this is going to be semi-permanent, they just need to connect the trail to those lots better so that cyclists don't have to navigate all the traffic coming into and out of Banff and taking selfies at the damn sign.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #3545
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Apparently train station has a fair bit of capacity now.

HWY 546 west of Sandy McNabb will be closed to vehicles until May 14. IMO it's an even nicer ride than the Parkway (fairly recent paving until the big hill; good chance of seeing sheep). IIRC there is a nice viewpoint ~6-7kms in...a big down/up a bit beyond that isn't great for families, but good for getting your legs back!
Apparently there was bridge work going on that had that road closed a few km past the gate. Last I heard is it was still going on, and bikes couldn’t pass. Unless there has been a recent change that I haven’t heard about.

It is too bad, that is a good ride though (though the 1A is still better IMO).
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #3546
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any ideas how 12 mile coulee is running for mtb’ing?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #3547
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My bike now has a flames flag because playoffs.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 08:42 PM   #3548
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My bike now has a flames flag because playoffs.

Do those rails on the back hold beer bottles or cans (horizontally of course) best?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #3549
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Isn't that next to impossible during the summer? Johnson Canyon has always been overloaded when I've been.
Not until later June aside from Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. (Assuming your are getting their by 11)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:42 PM   #3550
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My friend Dave tracked 3 different modes of travel for his commute here in Victoria. This won’t shock many of us, but it’s a super interesting look at how fast driving can cycling can be wildly different. I had similar experiences driving on Deerfoot vs biking to Quarry Park.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1522330311857606656
Old 05-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #3551
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Do those rails on the back hold beer bottles or cans (horizontally of course) best?
Beer cans will absolutely nest in there nicely

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #3552
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Any ideas how 12 mile coulee is running for mtb’ing?
There is a calgary and are related trail report groups on the Facebook called Mountain Biking Trail Reprots for Calgary and Area

I feel like I read that Bowmont is good this week, but join and have a look thru the group
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #3553
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Apparently there was bridge work going on that had that road closed a few km past the gate. Last I heard is it was still going on, and bikes couldn’t pass. Unless there has been a recent change that I haven’t heard about.

It is too bad, that is a good ride though (though the 1A is still better IMO).
I know someone who rode down there last weekend and the bridge construction was about 10km in, still ongoing
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #3554
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The mountain biking trail reports on Facebook is very useful, it is actually the only thing I use Facebook for. And they do have some road reports for things like the sheep river road and the highwood as well.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #3555
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice day yesterday for bike commuting; however, that wind in the afternoon not fun. it added about 10 minutes to my commute and i had to ride into it on my long south stretch.

i was on rubber leg street by the time i got home. So far on each commute i find myself taking extra stuff into the office plus i am now toting my computer so likely an extra 5 lbs or so in the bag
Old 05-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #3556
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
nice day yesterday for bike commuting; however, that wind in the afternoon not fun. it added about 10 minutes to my commute and i had to ride into it on my long south stretch.

i was on rubber leg street by the time i got home. So far on each commute i find myself taking extra stuff into the office plus i am now toting my computer so likely an extra 5 lbs or so in the bag
I had 8 hard drives the other day, that was a weight on my back!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #3557
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

The ride home always sucks. I go west so it is always into the wind. I go up the hill beside 16th Ave from Shaganappi to the Foothills Hospital and despite that stretch heading east I am also somehow riding into the wind going up the hill.

Hauling the laptop and a few other things on my back is not ideal. I'm almost thinking about some sort of rack or side saddles to make things a bit easier.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #3558
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for an ebike but there are too many options. I need it for my bad knee and it’s for general riding around the city and camping so a hybrid style would be good. I looked at an Envo D35 and it’s really nicely featured but felt underpowered on steep hills.

Any recommendations on a sub $3K bike?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #3559
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Looking for an ebike but there are too many options. I need it for my bad knee and it’s for general riding around the city and camping so a hybrid style would be good. I looked at an Envo D35 and it’s really nicely featured but felt underpowered on steep hills.

Any recommendations on a sub $3K bike?
Looking at the D35 it has a geared hub rear motor. In general the way it feels up hill will be consistent on all the other geared hub e-bikes. The issue is that the low end torque is limited because it is directly trying to drive the wheel. The hub motors do have gears inside but if they get geared down more you’d sacrifice top speed. So the hill climbing limitations are a compromise for the hub motors.

The solution to this limitation is the mid-drive motor. The mid-drives provide torque to your pedals so take advantage of your gearing allowing you to climb hills easier. Unfortunately they generally don’t come in at the 3k or less price point.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #3560
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Some positive news regarding the canal pathway. This is the word from the Parks department:

“Parks inspected this pathway in summer 2021 and we did see a number of root heaves and other bumps. We are in the process of working with Mobility to get sections of the Western Irrigation Canal pathway replaced but we are limited by scheduling, logistics and costs. We are planning to start with sections closest to the city centre and moving outward from the Bow confluence toward the outer periphery, as there are many sections of this pathway that need repair/replacement. We won’t likely be at this section until at least 2023 but it is definitely on our radar for replacement in the future.”

My Councilor's office then added this:

"So although it’s on their radar, it is a ways out in their repair plans. I would continue to report the issues to 311 as they arise, and encourage others you know who ride this path to do the same."

So please be sure to submit 311 requests for pathway repair. Might be worth adding in your 311 request that you have confirmation from Transportation Minister Rajan Sawhney that this pathway is under the jurisdiction of the City of Calgary.

While this pathway has been in need of repair for several years, if it gets fixed by next year that will be great. However even better would be if we can put the pressure on to get it started sooner.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: