Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #61
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
How did you finish them off?
Used my searz all...

https://www.amazon.ca/Searzall-Torch...ords=searz+all

The issue wasn't the crust it was the inside of the rib being a bit too wet. Basically raw texture. Although safe was just weird to eat as the whole time I was thinking "gonna get sick, gonna get sick, this is really good, but gonna get sick"

and I didn't but I think beef is much better as I am used to a rare steak.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #62
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Of course you could just not overcook your chicken using any of the old fashioned methods, an instant read thermometer does the job fine and gets you a nice crust flavoured with garlic, herbs and a little butter.
My apologies if it feels like we're piling on here, but this is a very common argument I've heard friends use (before they try it, of course).

The issue with "just not overcooking your chicken", is that it's quite hard to keep a chicken breast at 140 degrees for the length of time needed for it to be safe. You can do it, but the difficulty in keeping it there without overheating is far too high. A chicken breast cooked to 140 will destroy traditional chicken breast for you forever.

Like kunkstyle, I've been doing this for a year as well. We've been using it about 3x per week that entire time, and the only thing we've gotten was the best damn meat we've ever had. It's not difficult in any way as long as you can read a chart and take it as gospel. It's no different than following other health guidelines in the kitchen... there are rules and you follow them.

This year I'm doing an entire turkey sous vide. The main benefit here is that dark meat and white meat require differing temperatures because the dark meat needs to get to 165 to break down, while the white meat will be destroyed at that heat. You can spatchcock your turkey to allow for a more even surface area, but it still doesn't fix the problem completely. The turkey can go 24 hours, so I'm going to butcher the turkey first, cook the dark sections for 12 hours at 165, then drop the water temperature down and do the white sections for 12 hours (with the dark thrown in to keep them warm). To top it off, you end up with an empty oven for whatever else you need.

Last edited by Russic; 11-24-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #63
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Used my searz all...

https://www.amazon.ca/Searzall-Torch...ords=searz+all

The issue wasn't the crust it was the inside of the rib being a bit too wet. Basically raw texture. Although safe was just weird to eat as the whole time I was thinking "gonna get sick, gonna get sick, this is really good, but gonna get sick"

and I didn't but I think beef is much better as I am used to a rare steak.

My guess is you cooked it for too long causing the connective tissues in the meat to break down. Also, did you use any marinades or rubs on your ribs? I've read that using lots of salt for longer cooks can turn the meat into a weird texture.

Try a higher temperature and shorter cook time. Serious eats has a good rib recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #64
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of sous vide, though thus far I've only used it for steak.

I'm a terrible griller, ending up with either blue rare or ultra well-done and nothing in between, but here's a ribeye I did last summer sous vide then seared on a grill:

Spoiler!
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #65
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This year I'm doing an entire turkey sous vide.
Nice. I've contemplated a whole turkey or chicken. Post up how it turns out!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #66
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I'm a big fan of sous vide, though thus far I've only used it for steak.

I'm a terrible griller, ending up with either blue rare or ultra well-done and nothing in between, but here's a ribeye I did last summer sous vide then seared on a grill:

Spoiler!
Salmon was my white whale. I'm a fairly competent cook, but as much as I tried I always found new and unique ways to botch a $30 salmon. It infuriated me every time and was my gateway drug to sous vide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #67
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

I too started cooking Sous Vide because of this thread (or another cooking-related thread on CP) and I rarely use my propane BBQ any more as a result (mostly just for the rotisserie).

I bought a square polycarbonate vessel and an Anova but if I were to do it over again (and had a little more counter space) I would have spent more money and gone full water oven.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sous-Vide-Supr...rds=water+oven
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #68
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Salmon was my white whale. I'm a fairly competent cook, but as much as I tried I always found new and unique ways to botch a $30 salmon. It infuriated me every time and was my gateway drug to sous vide.
I bake my salmon. Usually I can figure out if it's done when the white fats start to begin congealing on the surface of the meat. I do it with lemon, salt, pepper, celery leaves and syrup.

I guess I can experiment with sous vide~ing it and then tossing it into the oven...

Dang, now I'm excited and impatient to receive my Anova.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #69
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there hasn't been a real discussion of what people do in terms of shrink wrapping (or just using ziplocs). Interested to hear if people think the shrink wrap thing is a "must", "should" or "meh".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #70
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So there hasn't been a real discussion of what people do in terms of shrink wrapping (or just using ziplocs). Interested to hear if people think the shrink wrap thing is a "must", "should" or "meh".

I posted something in the Black Friday thread. From everything that I've read, for most meats (steak, pork chops, fish, chicken) for cook times at around 1 -3 hrs, at temperatures less than 175F, a ziploc freezer bag that uses polyethylene, using the water displacement method, should be good enough. Be sure to clip the bag to the pot/container to prevent floating around. I've also read putting a spoon at the bottom of the bag will help from floating, but I haven't tried this.

Vacuum bags would help with longer cook times at higher temps.

At temps higher than 175F, non freezer ziploc bags will start to fail at the seams. You could always just buy the vacuum bags and skip the vacuum sealing and just do the water displacement method if you're worried about the safety of cooking plastics at higher temps because these bags have a polyethylene mesh on the inside of the bag so you won't have to worry about any plastics leeching onto the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #71
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Weston-30-101-...de%2Bbags&th=1

Would something like this plus clips work for most typical sous vide~ing? I was also thinking I'd put the freezer bag inside one of these (reused) typically as a back up for seam failure. The water pushes out the air, so it's really just double bagging.

$35 seems a bit pricey though, but those are good sized bags.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #72
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
I bought a square polycarbonate vessel and an Anova but if I were to do it over again (and had a little more counter space) I would have spent more money and gone full water oven.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sous-Vide-Supr...rds=water+oven
How does that compare to something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gourmia-S...uart/187926306

Better to buy the Anova dildo/rectal probe?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #73
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

fyi: the Anova is on sale for 129cdn - 135 with tax. over $70 off.

nice sale!

https://ca.anovaculinary.com/

Last edited by csnarpy; 11-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #74
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
fyi: the Anova is on sale for 129cdn - 135 with tax. over $70 off.

nice sale!

https://ca.anovaculinary.com/
I'm fairly certain almost everyone on CP already bought one. Does the code ANOVALOVE still work?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #75
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm fairly certain almost everyone on CP already bought one. Does the code ANOVALOVE still work?
No, but CPLOVE has replaced it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #76
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My research shows the following pieces excellent for a sous vide set up:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's around $50 ish combined.

Thoughts on this set up?
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #77
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Vacu-seal is ideal, but I generally get by by putting a steak in a sturdy ziplock bag, sealing it 80% of the way, submerging the steak & bag into the pot of water until only the unsealed opening is above the water (the water pressure against the outside of the bag will force the air out), then sealing the bag the rest of the way.

You end up with an effectively vacu-sealed end product, as long as you're careful.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #78
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is the organizer for in the tub while submersion is happening? I never thought of that!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #79
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've just used sturdy ziplock freezer bags and have never had a problem. For clips I just use regular old alligator clips from Staples.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #80
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How does that compare to something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gourmia-S...uart/187926306

Better to buy the Anova dildo/rectal probe?
Hard to say. No customer reviews that I could see. It's dirt cheap (less than a tank and Anova combination) so you could try it without much risk but it's probably a get what you pay for purchase at the end of the day. The Sous Vide Supreme products have really good reviews and they look like they have high build quality. The Anova has good build quality too and has the feel of something that will last for several years. Plus it has an app and you can control it with your phone or tablet, look up recipes and cook times, etc. Probably aren't getting that with the water ovens regardless of brand.

Didn't know that Anova also made a rectal probe but if you wanted to warm things up and swish them around up there you could try that. It would probably be easier than with the water oven.

EDIT: Hilariously, the Gourmia rig is on Amazon.ca for $341! Go Walmart!

Last edited by PostandIn; 11-25-2016 at 02:08 PM.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote