Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #21
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Aside from the flag, was there anything else to corroborate that it was an ISIS terror attack, and not some anti-Muslim s*** disturbers?
Is that really your first thought after something like this?

Edit: Apparently it's at least 3 peoples first thought after something like this...

Last edited by Zoller; 10-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #22
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Aside from the flag, was there anything else to corroborate that it was an ISIS terror attack, and not some anti-Muslim s*** disturbers?
Aabid much as it sucks this was a terror attack. It sucks for everyone out there, I feel so bad for the officer and Edmontonians who will have to watch their backs now.

I also fear the repercussions for myself as a brown male.

#### these terrorist losers.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT14 View Post
Up until today I've always at least been able to pretend or convince myself this kind of #### isn't anything to be concerned about in Alberta, now that feeling of security in my home province is gone, or at least waning. I'd say he was quite successful at being a terrorist.
Fair point I suppose, but I wonder how many people were persisting in this misapprehension. It can and will continue to happen everywhere, now. It's a new reality of life.

What I meant was that generally, the ISIS-inspired attacker's goals are twofold. First, kill as many infidels as possible. Second, martyr yourself. Here, he somehow managed to avoid inflicting any fatalities at all, and didn't end up as a suicide by cop. Moreover, he's in a place that doesn't execute people. Finally, he perpetrated the attack it in a jurisdiction where (since 2011) you can get consecutively applied parole ineligibilities, with the result that - and some criminal lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong here - it's possible his sentence could be, "you die in prison". meaning he's probably going to have to wait for those 72 virgins. Or rather, deal with a hopefully ever-increasing angst at the possibility that they aren't waiting for him over a span of several decades.

In short,

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #24
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first Islamic State "van attack" approach used on Canadian soil?

Closest we've had is the Al Qaeda goofs in the Toronto-7 IIRC
There was this guy in Quebec - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/who-is...leau-1.2807285 Not a van but he rammed some military people in 2014 - killing one.

Not sure about Alberta, but there's been a lot of pro-active defenses set-up for these types of attacks for big events (big trucks blocking closed roads, cement medians set-up) that help prevent mass casualties.

Very hard to stop something like this though.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #25
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terror is terror - it doesn't really matter who is driving the bus.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Up until today I've always at least been able to pretend or convince myself this kind of #### isn't anything to be concerned about in Alberta, now that feeling of security in my home province is gone, or at least waning. I'd say he was quite successful at being a terrorist.
That’s entirely up to you, though. I feel just as secure and safe from terrorism as I did yesterday, and I’ll feel the same if it happens in Calgary. Of course this comes from the knowledge that I’ve had for some time hay it could happen anywhere, at any time.

The thing is, it’s still incredibly rare. Do you fear getting murdered or robbed every time you go outside? Because your chances are infinitely higher.

Don’t give terrorists the satisfaction. If this made you aware of what’s going on in the world, and shook you out of some false bubble of protection, then that’s good. But if it made you afraid? Then I’d say give yourself a couple days and you’ll be fine.

Be aware of the world, not afraid of it. Ignorance and fear lead to a hate. We’ve seen it again and again.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #27
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that video is frightening. He is tossed in the air, is then attacked and stabbed, and somehow fights him off and gets up while the guy runs away. Stunning video.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s entirely up to you, though. I feel just as secure and safe from terrorism as I did yesterday, and I’ll feel the same if it happens in Calgary. Of course this comes from the knowledge that I’ve had for some time hay it could happen anywhere, at any time.

The thing is, it’s still incredibly rare. Do you fear getting murdered or robbed every time you go outside? Because your chances are infinitely higher.

Don’t give terrorists the satisfaction. If this made you aware of what’s going on in the world, and shook you out of some false bubble of protection, then that’s good. But if it made you afraid? Then I’d say give yourself a couple days and you’ll be fine.

Be aware of the world, not afraid of it. Ignorance and fear lead to a hate. We’ve seen it again and again.
I agree with what you're saying but I never said I was more "afraid", just that it might be more of a concern going forward, thinking of my kids mainly. Meaning it could be more likely to have the possibility of someone driving a vehicle into a crowded area and I may be more likely to avoid such a situation. I've always known it's possible, but wouldn't have had any concern over being in such a situation before and maybe now I will. You're right that that's where we are today but that kind of sucks.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying but I never said I was more "afraid", just that it might be more of a concern going forward, thinking of my kids mainly. Meaning it could be more likely to have the possibility of someone driving a vehicle into a crowded area and I may be more likely to avoid such a situation. I've always known it's possible, but wouldn't have had any concern over being in such a situation before and maybe now I will. You're right that that's where we are today but that kind of sucks.
The likelihood of your children being injured in an automobile accident is several orders of magnitude more likely than the likelihood of them being harmed in a terrorist attack, but you probably never give it a second thought when you drive somewhere with your kids.

PepsiFree is right -- nobody should let this incident impact their lives or affect their behaviour in any way whatsoever.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First of all with no deaths even with anti-terror laws, its unlikely that this guy dies in prison or really serves a ton of time relative.

I would expect that his actions inspire others to do it better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #31
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The likelihood of your children being injured in an automobile accident is several orders of magnitude more likely than the likelihood of them being harmed in a terrorist attack, but you probably never give it a second thought when you drive somewhere with your kids.

PepsiFree is right -- nobody should let this incident impact their lives or affect their behaviour in any way whatsoever.
Automobile accidents is what worries me most about a parent. I make sure my girls are extra secure when driving, but it's vehicle versus pedestrian that really keeps me up. I see way too many drives ignoring crosswalks and swerving around cars turning left to shave a few seconds off their drive without being situationally aware of the intersection.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #32
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Youre living in denial. You dont have to live in fear but not admitting that we are less safe from terrorist attack than we were in the past isnt helping anyone. At what point do you get concerned? When we're like the middle east and car bombs and suicide bombers are common place?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #33
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is so strange now in the world of terrorism and ISIS in Canada. I was at the Coldplay concert in Vancouver @ BC Place and was thinking.... what a perfect place this would be to take out a lot of people. The thought would have never crossed my mind a decade ago and it's truly sad a random thought pops up about perfect terrorist locations. The security getting into the concert was extremely lax, and 50,000 people...

God speed to the police officer and victims in this incident. I hope they fry the ISIS flag lover.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #34
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Youre living in denial. You dont have to live in fear but not admitting that we are less safe from terrorist attack than we were in the past isnt helping anyone. At what point do you get concerned? When we're like the middle east and car bombs and suicide bombers are common place?
Probably about the time that it's statistically more likely to be killed by terrorists than it is to die slipping in the shower or falling down the stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
It is so strange now in the world of terrorism and ISIS in Canada.
I find it much more predictable than strange. It will get worse sadly. To those that say this terrorist was incompetent, maybe but if you were one of the people that got run over or even stabbed you wouldn't think so.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #36
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost as if people would rather chalk up low body counts due to terrorism to incompetence, rather than the myriad of successful government programs set up to counter people's ability to gain dangerous firearms and explosive materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
First of all with no deaths even with anti-terror laws, its unlikely that this guy dies in prison or really serves a ton of time relative.

I would expect that his actions inspire others to do it better.
5 attempted murder charges served consecutively could insure he dies in prison couldn't It?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you worry about the flu killing you? About 40 per year and 5 or so kill non-old people.

It's not about denial. It's about recognizing the relative level of risk in the things we do and putting the appropriate mental energy into them.

Terrorism does not make the list.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #39
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do you blame Trudeau for that as well?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #40
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Do you blame Trudeau for that as well?
Without doubt, I blame Mr. Sunny for everything. I hope it's only one term.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote