Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #21
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
As I mentioned in the gear-grinder thread, my issue is that there are so many projects going on at once in my part of the city (SW) that it's impossible to take alternate routes to avoid lane closures. You'd think there would be coordination at some level to avoid boxing in whole parts of the city with reduced access.

Also, that map doesn't seem to include private projects, like the ATCO work on 14th street.
They really do need to coordinate better - it's very common for them to close two parallel streets downtown to do work at the same time.

There was one weekend they closed down Macleod Trail, 1st St SW, and 4th St SW northbound into downtown. The worst part was the Macleod Trail closure detour was to to take 10th Ave to 1st.....
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As I mentioned in the gear-grinder thread, my issue is that there are so many projects going on at once in my part of the city (SW) that it's impossible to take alternate routes to avoid lane closures. You'd think there would be coordination at some level to avoid boxing in whole parts of the city with reduced access.

Also, that map doesn't seem to include private projects, like the ATCO work on 14th street.
My favourite part right now are the signs advising drivers to take an alternate route to avoid major delays at Macleod and Southland. What alternate route? 14th? Endlessly under construction. Elbow? Enjoy playground zones. Deerfoot? Yeah, that's fun in rush hour...

I can't wait for the snow to hit to see all these projects abandoned for 6 months like they do every winter. Why are they starting so much work in the fall anyway?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #23
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
"Yup, it should only take me 15 minutes to get to downtown."
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree. I live in Woodpark area. If I wanted to go downtown everywhere I go I hit construction. Take 14th Street then Glenmore, nope construction on 90th so that even eliminates taking Heritage to Elbow or Macleod. Can't even turn to Southland from 14th then Macleod. Only choice is 14th then Southland then Elbow. Take Anderson going east?? Construction on Anderson and Elbow. You figured city wait until 14th St construction is done before they start construction on Anderson-Elbow.

Wow that map posted by Iggy City is pretty scary.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
North:

Ramp on 17th Ave SE(Blackfoot Trail) to or from Deerfoot Trail. Heavy constructions there but I can't figure out if they are adding another lane on Deerfoot or what?
LOL what about that construction in the north on 17th ave South East.

I was pretty disappointed to find out its the bus way.

I had thought they were adding an extra lane to Blackfoot and fixing the merges between Blackfoot and Memorial. For the north half of deerfoot if they could do something about the merges between Memorial/Blackfoot and Mcknight/64th, the road would move pretty good most of the time.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you only have 4 months to do construction, you're going to have a bad time.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That map is honestly hilarious
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #28
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
When you only have 4 months to do construction, you're going to have a bad time.

Ya....and of course it means we are actually making attempts to improve the roads. Sure...short term pain for long term gain. Just think of the cluster-f%#k its going to be when they tackle Crowchild trail over the bow.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
LOL what about that construction in the north on 17th ave South East.

I was pretty disappointed to find out its the bus way.

I had thought they were adding an extra lane to Blackfoot and fixing the merges between Blackfoot and Memorial. For the north half of deerfoot if they could do something about the merges between Memorial/Blackfoot and Mcknight/64th, the road would move pretty good most of the time.
Ramp metering would be an inexpensive solution and greatly improve flow.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Expect delays in NW today around 16th - Mcmahon to Sarcee. Construction everywhere at once around Montgomery and Bowness.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #31
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Calgary proposes 2 solutions for the city's 'worst intersection' - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rail-1.4610604

This is Macleod & 25th Ave

Am I right in thinking that in the second option, there's no left turn onto southbound Macleod from 25th?

Also, not sure I grasp the concept of slower traffic means more cars get through an intersection...

Quote:
Carra said in the meantime, there will be short-term fixes like improving traffic lights, introducing a new turn lane and lowering the speed limit on Macleod Trail to 50 km/h.

"In the short term, there's a package of fixes that we can sort of undertake which are [to] put in a better computer organizing the light, because I've sat there and missed like a couple of light cycles and I understand the frustration," he said.

It might seem counterintuitive, Carra said, to slow speed limits to improve wait times at the traffic light, but it actually works.

"When cars move slower you get more cars through intersections. Roads that have a slower speed actually carry more traffic, and the reason is that the traffic can actually go more close bumper-to-bumper and if everyone slows down more people move and it's better," he said.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So from the artists rendition, it looks like the the solution for it appears to be removing it altogether?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #33
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So from the artists rendition, it looks like the the solution for it appears to be removing it altogether?
Looks like the flyover gets rid of it, but the elevated track shifts it north.

Personally, I prefer the look of the elevated track proposal. Will cost more, but I don’t like the looks of flyovers and elevating the track will remove any train/pedestrian conflicts completely
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #34
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Calgary proposes 2 solutions for the city's 'worst intersection' - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rail-1.4610604

This is Macleod & 25th Ave

Am I right in thinking that in the second option, there's no left turn onto southbound Macleod from 25th?

Also, not sure I grasp the concept of slower traffic means more cars get through an intersection...
Yes and no.
Short answer is 'yes' the left turn onto SB McLeod from WB 25th will be elimianted. However the U Turn that currently exists from SB McLeod to NB McLeod just south of the Elbow River would be reversed in order to facilitate this type of movement.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is that the city's worst intersection? I've never really had much of an issue with it. Granted, I rarely drive it in rush hour, but there are much worse spots I can think of. The Kensington Rd / 10th St NW / Memorial Drive trifecta of awfulness springs to mind.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like the flyover gets rid of it, but the elevated track shifts it north.

Personally, I prefer the look of the elevated track proposal. Will cost more, but I don’t like the looks of flyovers and elevating the track will remove any train/pedestrian conflicts completely
I don't think so.

The total cost of the elevated station was estimated at $129.5 million and the total cost of the flyover at $25.2 million.

The first option has an elevated station. The second one is the flyover, so it is substantially cheaper.

This is the wtf part...

Both plans would take more than 20 years to implement and funding has yet to be allocated to either option.

Entire megalopolis's are built in China in less time than that!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Why is that the city's worst intersection? I've never really had much of an issue with it. Granted, I rarely drive it in rush hour, but there are much worse spots I can think of. The Kensington Rd / 10th St NW / Memorial Drive trifecta of awfulness springs to mind.
Agreed. That intersection is terrible. I have no idea how to fix it, but it’s bad.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #38
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah it can be bad. The train seems to mess with the traffic light cycle or something. It almost seems like the train resets the light cycle (no idea, just guessing). So if you are going certain directions in rush hour and the trains going north and south are staggered you won't get a light for long ass time.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ What? The train doesn't affect that intersection, it's not even on the ground by the time it gets near there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Agreed. That intersection is terrible. I have no idea how to fix it, but it’s bad.
Pretty much have to make Kensington Road to 14th street turn one way heading west during rush hour times, or close it off at 10th St. with retractable bollards during peak hours, I think. Everyone has to use 10th St. if they want to get over the Louise bridge, and everyone coming off the bridge has to go straight through.

Then, you eliminate all street parking along 10th St for a few hours in the morning / evening so it's four lanes all the way back up to 16th ave. It wouldn't suddenly eliminate congestion but the whole thing would work a lot more smoothly, and some people would probably end up taking different routes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think so.

The total cost of the elevated station was estimated at $129.5 million and the total cost of the flyover at $25.2 million.

The first option has an elevated station. The second one is the flyover, so it is substantially cheaper.

This is the wtf part...

Both plans would take more than 20 years to implement and funding has yet to be allocated to either option.

Entire megalopolis's are built in China in less time than that!
I might have missed a comma, but was referring to the elevated portion costing more
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote