Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I seem to remember Iraqs republican guard was supposed to be a formidable opponent as well but as soon as the bombs started dropping they ran as fast as possible, I suspect a couple of B-2 stealth bombing runs over their artillery batteries would have the same effect.
And how well did the Iraq conflict work out for the United States of America? (hint: not well). The Republican Guard threw down their uniforms and became an extremely effective and efficient guerrilla fighting force/insurgents. The last thing that they need is another Iraq, especially when still cleaning up the mess of the first one.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So basically if the US choose to act, they'd have to make their first strike count, otherwise the hostage (SK) gets it.

Doesn't seem worth it. But leaders like Trump and Jon-Un are incapable of shying away from dick wagging. It's in their DNA.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #23
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't everyone think Iraq Deuce would be over quick as well?
Old 09-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The level of indoctrination would leave the US fighting a population with Japanese WW2 level of resolve. These guys believe the Dear Leader is a near deity, just like the Japanese Emperor.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So basically if the US choose to act, they'd have to make their first strike count, otherwise the hostage (SK) gets it.

Doesn't seem worth it. But leaders like Trump and Jon-Un are incapable of shying away from dick wagging. It's in their DNA.
There's 0% chance the Americans will be able to destroy all of North Korea's launching points aimed at Seoul, so unfortunately for those that live there, the Americans are saying they're okay with using them as sacrifice to attack the North. Quite frightening for the citizens of Seoul.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #26
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that the US would send in highly-trained spec ops to sabotage electrical equipment with an EMP device, disrupting command chains.

The US would want to knock out communications infrastructure first. That would actually be the most logical way first, IMO.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I seem to remember Iraqs republican guard was supposed to be a formidable opponent as well but as soon as the bombs started dropping they ran as fast as possible, I suspect a couple of B-2 stealth bombing runs over their artillery batteries would have the same effect.
Way different scenario here, if the Iranians would have had any kind of deterrent in place its a different war, instead the American's pretty much knew that they could fight a war on their terms.

First and foremost they started with the air war, their opening move was to kill Iran's air defense network, then after that went down they took complete control of the skies over Iran who really didn't have much of an airforce compared to American air power.

Then once they had control over the skies, they basically stole a playbook from the Soviet Army doctrines guide and they basically zerg rushed the Iranian army and psychologically crushed them with brute force.

First and Foremost with North Korea that artillary belt is aimed at North Korea is massive its a prime definition of over fire, and its completely dug in and hardened so its unlikely that America would be able to prevent it from firing.

Also we're talking about a terrain difference as well. you're dealing less with a desert environment that actually supported armored warfare and your dealing with a lot of choke points, a lot of hills that are built for over watch and ambushes, a lot of swampy lands that would basically force your army onto the roads.

I'm not saying America wouldn't win, it would be a harder war then the Iranian one.

The North Korean Airforce is clearly no match for American Airpower.

They have about 30 mig 29's this is their premiere multi-role fighter, and it was a great fighter for its time with a lot of nifty features including a helmet based weapons firing system. However this is a airframe that hit its peak in the late 80's. Its no match for the F-35, the F-22, the Super Hornet and a bomber force lead by the B-2.

The NK air force also has a mix of Mig 21, Mig 23, J-5, J-7, J6, Su-25, SU-7 and IL-28's. These planes are all long obsolete 1960's and 1970's platforms. While it sounds impressive for North Korea to have between 4 and 5 hundred air craft, outside of the Mig-29's the rest of their airforce would die glorious deaths against a US Carrier Air Wing.

The North Koreans have about 4000 main battle tanks, but about half of those are really obsolete T-55's T-62s and Type 59's. I doubt that these tanks could do much damage to a M1A2 main battle tank at all, and most of these older tanks beyond having smaller main guns don't have advanced stabilized computer assisted aiming which means that they don't shoot well on the move. The most advanced tanks in the North Korean inventory are about 800 T-72's which in their day were really good tanks but again a poor counter to American Armor. The premiere North Korean tank is called the Chomna-ho which is a locally produced tank based around the design of a T-62 tank with a 115 mm smooth bore and reactive armor, and a decent fire control system, but I wouldn't bet against the American M1A1, plus the North Koreans would have to deal with a lot of American anti-armor air power and artillary like the JSOW. with North Korean airpower destroyed American air craft would probably tear apart North Korean armor in a few days.

The biggest threat from the North Koreans is in terms of their Special Operations Units, these guys are the lavishly trained and numbered units. Their job would be to infiltrate into the south and create terror, drop bridges, assassinations and generally drop troop moral. While The North Korean army itself is large, if America takes control of the air they're in for a tough fight, but if North Korean special ops heads into South Korea, that could be the nightmare.

Navy wise, they have about 6 of their new Sinpo class which is suspected of being a diesel electric missile boat capable of launching sea based ballistic missiles, its one of the larger Diesel boats ever built.

Their main offensive submarine weapon is based on the 1950's Romeo class diesel electric boat. They have a bunch of mini-subs designed to be used by special Forces groups to penetrate the South and to collect data on enemy naval formations.

They have maybe 2 to 5 frigates that are mainly designed for anti-submarine duty,

They have a bunch of small missile boats and torpedo boats, but the suitability and ability to fire off their weapons is doubtfull against a US Naval carrier centered battlegroup.

I doubt that this war would go as fast as people think nor that these soldiers will surrender like the Iraqi soldiers did, I expect there would be a lot of American Casualties due to the determination of the North Koreans to make Americans bleed for every inch of the land they take. I also believe that like the last Korean War is the American's get too rowdy the Chinese will step in to protect their interests.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
My guess is that the US would send in highly-trained spec ops to sabotage electrical equipment with an EMP device, disrupting command chains.

The US would want to knock out communications infrastructure first. That would actually be the most logical way first, IMO.
I would expect with American sniffer technology that's on their Airborne platforms that they already have most of these guys pin pointed.

If you can't get to the artillery, you get at the people that can issue the fire orders.

I doubt the American's would want to give away their intentions by going after electrical systems.

I would think that the American Special Forces would go in and look for the entire party leadership and try to designate them as targets of interest and take them out as the opening of a war.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #29
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I doubt that this war would go as fast as people think nor that these soldiers will surrender like the Iraqi soldiers did, I expect there would be a lot of American Casualties due to the determination of the North Koreans to make Americans bleed for every inch of the land they take. I also believe that like the last Korean War is the American's get too rowdy the Chinese will step in to protect their interests.
That's pretty much what I've read and heard many different guys in the military or with experience say. There's no doubt about the superiority, but given the terrain and the preparations and the size, it'd be a long and costly win.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The surprise in the Iraq war was how quickly the Republican guards went down. But the average gomer in the Iraqi army was more concerned with surviving then fighting.

In Korea, the indoctrination is heavy from both a civillian and military standpoint. You're going to end up killing a lot of woman and teenagers who are fighting for Kim.

For some reason when you fight Asian nations they are just far more determined then anything else.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #31
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

North Korea keep poking the bear. If they continue to do so they will be wiped out
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #32
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The surprise in the Iraq war was how quickly the Republican guards went down. But the average gomer in the Iraqi army was more concerned with surviving then fighting.

In Korea, the indoctrination is heavy from both a civillian and military standpoint. You're going to end up killing a lot of woman and teenagers who are fighting for Kim.

For some reason when you fight Asian nations they are just far more determined then anything else.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #34
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would expect with American sniffer technology that's on their Airborne platforms that they already have most of these guys pin pointed.

If you can't get to the artillery, you get at the people that can issue the fire orders.

I doubt the American's would want to give away their intentions by going after electrical systems.

I would think that the American Special Forces would go in and look for the entire party leadership and try to designate them as targets of interest and take them out as the opening of a war.
You would have to think they would know exactly where every artillery batteries are though, the B-2 can carry 80 500lb GPS bombs that each one can strike within 1 meter of it's target, after as you said "take out their communications" sneak 5 B-2's in to pop the artillery and radar with 400 bombs and they'll think the world is ending and will likely run for the hills.

The war machine the USA has is absolutely ridiculous.

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
You would have to think they would know exactly where every artillery batteries are though, the B-2 can carry 80 500lb GPS bombs that each one can strike within 1 meter of it's target, after as you said "take out their communications" sneak 5 B-2's in to pop the artillery and radar with 400 bombs and they'll think the world is ending and will likely run for the hills.

The USA is still in Afghanistan - the longest war in their history. Iraq was a mess. These are both wars they started in the last 15 years against poorly armed and totally disorganized foes.

NK would so obviously be a disaster to anybody with half a brain. You have to be naive or stupid to think anything positive can come from a war with NK. And it certainly wouldn't be a cakewalk. And the tools the Americans have are way less precise than you think. And it's absurd to think they could simultaneously bomb every offensive position the North Koreans have before the North Koreans unleashed all they have onto South Korea. And if they won the war, what do you do with all the starving North Koreans? As crappy as it is, nobody wants that problem and no country is capable of handling it.

There's a reason Bannon said there is no military option for North Korea. There isn't.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Provided you care about non American lives.

The Americans could easily accomplish the goal of denuclearizing NK.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #37
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It's all words and show from North Korea. I can't believe they are stupid enough to think they have anything to gain from actually attacking the US. They'd get massacred.
Would they? When you're fighting a bully you don't have to win the fight to win the fight. If you can land a few shots that stun or bloody the bully, and make him look weaker than he is, you ultimately come out on top in the eyes of observers. NK just has to land a few week placed shots and then let America do what America does.

After abysmal failures in Iraq and Afghanistan the Americans are unsure of how to fight a war and win. NK may be bombed extensively, but the United States will never win a war there. The people are brainwashed to believe in Un's deification, so if the US bombs the #### out of the country and Un emerges from his bunker unscathed, they will just become more entrenched in this belief. The US can try and bomb NK back to the Stone Age, but news flash for Trump, most people in NK are already there.

This is a no win for the US. But I'm sure President Comacho will still give it the ole college try to distract the people from his raiding of the federal coffers.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #38
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:

They think Kim is a pretty much a god, they're raised to believe it from birth. If a famine with a million North Koreans dying doesn't upset the population against the government, bombing won't.

20 B-2's (only half of which are operational at any given time), 6 hour sortie length, 15,000 targets, you'd be able to bomb all of NK's artillery and missiles in, oh, a few months.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #39
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No one is really talking about the effect on terrorism if the U.S. start a war with North Korea. It is just going to fuel the terror attacks on U.S. and anyone helping. They will use it as propaganda about the big U.S. bully, look what they are doing to little North Korea. Just a never ending circle of ####.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
No one is really talking about the effect on terrorism if the U.S. start a war with North Korea. It is just going to fuel the terror attacks on U.S. and anyone helping. They will use it as propaganda about the big U.S. bully, look what they are doing to little North Korea. Just a never ending circle of ####.
That doesn't seem like something to be concerned about to me. It's the slaughter of South Koreans (and North Koreans) that is the real concern. I've not heard of a Korean terrorist attacking the USA ever, and every other type of terrorist already has a lot to be mad at the States for.

Even if terrorists use this as a rallying cry somehow, maybe we're talking about a subway bomb or something killing like six guys. A war will see hundreds of thousands or millions die. Terrorism isn't even a blip on the radar (unless I'm missing what you mean).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote