Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #41
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually like it, it's well executed. The controversy it's generating is a good thing.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #42
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unrelated to the Bowfort Road interchange, but the public art portion of the Ogden interchange is a nice tile mosaic on the bridge pillars. Only one of the pillars was being worked on when I went by, but I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not sure if serious. But I'll clarify because of the day and age we live in.

Make an awesome looking equestrian statue of a Blackfoot warrior. It would be extra cool if the horse was rearing up and you could see the silhouette of the figure against the backdrop of the Rockies as the sun sets in the west.
If in doubt, I'm usually not serious.

Good idea though, that would look great!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #44
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I actually like it, it's well executed. The controversy it's generating is a good thing.
Not being an art guy, what makes it "well executed"? How would I inherently know this without all the written backstory and context? And why is generating controversy important for a highway-side art installation? It might just be me, but I'd rather say "wow, that is really cool / beautiful / relevant / powerful ... " than "WTF?"
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
For some of the bad ones by the City, there are some good ones too:

Where is this?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #46
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
It looks like rubble.

Spoiler!

How this has anything to do with native or indigenous culture or design is beyond me.

It is so ugly. Looks like construction leftovers that a welder put together during his lunch break and couldn't be bothered to measure or cut anything. Just took pieces form a junk pile and welded them willy nilly, then went back to work on the bridge.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #47
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like the piece. Looks interesting to me. Art is only art if it's challenging. Otherwise it's just decoration.

I know people are going to disagree with me. That's fine. Actually, that's the point of art.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #48
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha! We drove by that yesterday on our way to Banff and i thought it was unfinished construction! What they were making i had no idea, but i also had no idea this was art either.

I have to agree with Chu on this one as well. If you want a Blackfoot cultural piece, then commission a Blackfoot artist or artists. They could've taken that stupid Teletubby ring in the NE and turned into a nice Hoop Dancing piece.

I am all for public art, but i believe it needs to be local. If you can't find it locally, then provincially (Edmonton excluded of course E=NG). Failing that, Canadian. But I don't think we need to go any further than that.

I am guessing it's a prestige thing, "Look at this piece it's from New York, New Yorkers know art. It really symbolizes the struggle of the Blackfoot nation...or the four seasons...or their struggle with the seasons or something. New Yorkers really understand the Blackfoot culture!"

Last edited by Radio; 08-04-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #49
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Where is this?
That's on the north side of the bow river in the Parkdale area. Not far from edworthy park.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the most part I like the art installations and the look it brings to the city. I think there have been some very few but very glaring miss-steps, but on the whole I would say it is more good than bad.
I'll hold judgement on this one until I see it in person.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #51
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Haha! We drove by that yesterday on our way to Banff and i thought it was unfinished construction! What they were making i had no idea, but i also had no idea this was art either.

I have to agree with Chu on this one as well. If you want a Blackfoot cultural piece, then commission a Blackfoot artist or artists. They could've taken that stupid Teletubby ring in the NE and turned into a nice Hoop Dancing piece.

I am all for public art, but i believe it needs to be local. If you can't find it locally, then provincially (Edmonton excluded of course E=NG). Failing that, Canadian. But I don't think we need to go any further than that.

I am guessing it's a prestige thing, "Look at this piece it's from New York, New Yorkers know art. It really symbolizes the struggle of the Blackfoot nation...or the four seasons...or their struggle with the seasons or something. New Yorkers really understand the Blackfoot culture!"
I actually agree with the reasoning behind opening this up to international competition, it makes sense and elevates the competition:

Quote:
There was an open competition among artists, instead of specifically choosing a Calgary-based one because of international trade agreements, said Iley.

“We want our artists here to have the same opportunity to compete for jobs elsewhere as others do to compete for jobs here,” said Iley. “The selection panel is made up of members of the community (who) decided this was the most interesting approach they could see.”
I do agree with your point on the Blackfoot stuff. It's probably just a case of the artists post-rationalizing their design with some local cultural BS they made up to feed the jury, as is normally the case.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #52
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is this?
Parkdale. It's really interesting.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #53
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At the same time though, would you want New York to be closed for Calgary artists to be able to work on public art commissions?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #54
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Not being an art guy, what makes it "well executed"? How would I inherently know this without all the written backstory and context? And why is generating controversy important for a highway-side art installation? It might just be me, but I'd rather say "wow, that is really cool / beautiful / relevant / powerful ... " than "WTF?"
I'm not really an art guy either - I like art, but I'm not educated in it at all. By well executed, I mean it's proportioned well and I really like the incorporation of Rundle stone. I don't care about the concepts or backstory behind most art pieces, usually those are just contrived nonsense.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #55
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree that it needs to be local. The bow head is really cool. Hire the best not the closest. I do agree though if you are making something culturally representative hiring a person of that culture is important.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #56
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It is interesting to see the kinds of things people actually read 100 years ago. I think it's actually pretty clever, interesting and has historical value.
I just wish it was displaying dark times font on a newspaperish background, than the modern white font on a black background. It would be cooler to look like actual clips scrolling.

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #57
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not sure if serious. But I'll clarify because of the day and age we live in.

Make an awesome looking equestrian statue of a Blackfoot warrior. It would be extra cool if the horse was rearing up and you could see the silhouette of the figure against the backdrop of the Rockies as the sun sets in the west.
No more horses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #58
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is this?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05662.../data=!3m1!1e3
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #59
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I drove down this a long while back. Some poor sod made some horrible noises and likely demolished the side of this car against those rails they installed near the walls.

I certainly avoid that road for sure now and have never seen it again.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #60
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I just wish it was displaying dark times font on a newspaperish background, than the modern white font on a black background. It would be cooler to look like actual clips scrolling.

It's a cool installation, but that Copperplate font is awful. Almost as bad as comic sans.