Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #41
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Is hana pretty boring for the kids? Any comments since I have never been to hawaii at all.

Luau a good thing to do for the kids birth day? Molokini worth it?
Hana is not developed on purpose at all so if you like pristine nature that might be it for you. It probably doesn't have internet access in a lot of places.

The best Luau is the Old Lahaina but it's expensive especially for kids who don't eat or drink much. I wouldn't say Luau is great for kid's birthday as it's basically a buffet with the famed roasted pork, free drinks and a show.

Look around for coupons for Royal Lahaina if you have kids. It's half the price as Old Lahaina but not as good.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In regards to Hana: Most people go just for the drive, but I wouldn't take kids on that road. Even passengers in the front seat get a bit green on that drive, and once you get there you have to turn around and come back. There's a really nice park with a waterfall hike around Hana, but other than some quiet beaches and a sleepy town, there's not much else.

Rather than taking the Hana Road, you might also want to consider taking the north road between Lahania and the airport. It's also a very pretty drive, but is shorter and can be taken one way. You can also stop at the Maui Blowhole and hike around a bit there.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trew View Post

Rather than taking the Hana Road, you might also want to consider taking the north road between Lahania and the airport. It's also a very pretty drive, but is shorter and can be taken one way. You can also stop at the Maui Blowhole and hike around a bit there.
I highly recomend not taking that road! Agree it is beautiful, but it is a one lane road over a cliff without a baracade, and the locals drive it like they are late for work. If you go north from Lahania, you can drive it for a while until it turns into the one lane road (a few hundred meters after you pass the makeshift dump), but trust me you don't want to drive all the way to and from from the airport. This is way worse than a few turns on the way to Hana. The first time I was in Maui I looked at a map and thought why not try this way to Lahania...big mistake.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #44
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is the drive up to Haleakala? Not at sunrise because my wife would sooner give the kids 400 lbs of sugar than have them miss a minute of sleep. Looking at google maps it looks like there are 4 parking spots up there. I assume its more busy than that? Is that a puky road?
I don't get carsick but it is about 17 or so hairpin switch backs up to the top. Very similar to driving up Mount Revelstoke in BC if you have ever done that. Lots of Parking up there if you arrive 1 hour or so before sunrise. There are 3 levels of parking all with good views of sunrise and they have good crowd control. Its cold up there so bring a jacket. I would say it felt the same up there as it did today at lunch.

No one including kids 2 and 4 got car sick when I went on either Haleakala or Hanna. At Hanna there are a few nice beaches but you have to hike down to them and they are pretty big waves and surf compared with the beeches on the other side of Maui so not quite as good for kids.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How is the drive up to Haleakala?
The road to Haleakala is much better and shorter that that to Hana. Only about an hour from central Maui and it's divided pretty much all the way with guard rails as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #46
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Good choice with Honua Kai, as I'm there right now. Great for families. Lots of pools and the deepest any of them get is 5ft, most are around 3.5ft. The room we have is huge, a lot bigger then the pictures looked.

Can't really help you out on the other places but any questions on this area or resort I can do my best.
Any tips on restaurants or good spots nearby on the Honua Kai? I'll be there in just over 2 weeks. Staying in one of the 3 bedroom ones right on the water.

I cannot wait to BBQ on this lanai. I've promised to cook every meal out there.

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #47
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Any tips on restaurants or good spots nearby on the Honua Kai? I'll be there in just over 2 weeks. Staying in one of the 3 bedroom ones right on the water.

I cannot wait to BBQ on this lanai. I've promised to cook every meal out there.

Great condo, how much a night? Near Honua Kai, I like the Pizza Paradiso which is inexpensive. If you got the the Whaler village, you can try Maui Fish and Pasta. Avoid Star Noodle which isn't very good and expensive as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #48
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well its just like Calgary in that it depends where you shop. Costco is cheap and right by the airport(pick up gas there as well). Beer is pretty cheap everywhere(compared to Canada) but the Foodland in Lahaina usually has sales on a few brands. You can also check out the Cannery mall in Lahaina if you are staying at Honua Kai.

There are many reasonable places to eat in Lahaina, grab the Maui Revealed book. We usually make at pitstop at Costco (btw cheapest place to buy Maui Jim sunglasses) when we arrive and then go with the grocery stores after that.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here's a couple of my favorites:

http://cilantrogrill.com/

This is casual dining + takeout Mexican food place on a Lahaina side street. Their rotisserie chicken is very good.

http://www.leodas.com/

This is a roadside diner + pie shop with excellent baking and comfort food offerings. They are located a few miles SE on the highway from Lahaina.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice work moneybags. We only got a cheapass 2 bdrm. That looks to be ~790/night. Looks like we'll be at the resort soon after you.

No Hana for us since both my kids are very pukey and my wife is very backseat driver.

Everyone says groceries are expensive in Hawaii but I have looked at the grocery sites and they seem cheaper than super expensive Calgary. $19 for 24 beers, yes please.
Fresh fruit and vegatables are double what they cost except for in season Pineapples and Mangos which are cheap. There, meat about the same, fish very expensive, cereal is like ours not on sale, Peanut butter was double, Bread about the same. Overall it would be like shopping at safeway with no sales. Just becareful with fresh produce or you will end up with a $12 Cauliflower

Beer s cheap and both Kona brewing company and maui brewing company are excellent. Maui makes a pinapple beer Mana Wheat that is pretty good and the Kona Pipeline Porter is fantastic porter with a mild coffee flavour. Only Drink Hawaiian craft beer while you are there.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #51
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fresh Fresh fruit and vegetables were expensive; get what you can at Costco. Everything else was a bit more except for booze, but most places have the usual sales with brings it down to a reasonable level. There is supermarket (Times) across the main road from the Honua Kai Konea building.

We actually went to Star Noodle twice since it was so good and we found it cheap (two appetizers and two mains for under $40). The Vietnamese crepes were a meal in itself, but you have to go early as it is really busy. Burger in Paradise was a good burger but great location and view. CJ’s dinner was good and bad, fish tacos were over cooked but the tamales were excellent. Dukes is right on site and was good, the macadamia nut crusted fish sandwich was really good.

If you like sushi that you need to go the Foodland grocery store and pick up some Poke, its marinated cubes of raw tuna (or salmon, marlin etc). They usually have around eight different flavors; you can have a meal just tasting them all. And at $10-15 pound, was a good deal and probably half my dinners. Also try the Mochi ice cream there.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #52
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Heading to Maui in a couple days. Any dining recommendations for Kihei? We plan on hitting up Costco and cooking a fair bit, but are there any must hit places?
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
Heading to Maui in a couple days. Any dining recommendations for Kihei? We plan on hitting up Costco and cooking a fair bit, but are there any must hit places?
Kihei Caffe for breakfast is quite good.
If you're looking for a fancy dinner, Capiche in Wailea is spectacular
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So...

Quite a few shark encounters in Maui for 2013.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...235468811.html

Seems a lot in the fall / early winter period. Was reading a National Geographic article that mentioned Sep - Nov period was when Tiger sharks might come to shallow water to give birth and result in more encounters.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #55
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
So...

Quite a few shark encounters in Maui for 2013.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...235468811.html

Seems a lot in the fall / early winter period. Was reading a National Geographic article that mentioned Sep - Nov period was when Tiger sharks might come to shallow water to give birth and result in more encounters.
sweet, going Dec 30 for 2 weeks. I'm not much of an ocean guy but my wife is
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #56
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
sweet, going Dec 30 for 2 weeks. I'm not much of an ocean guy but my wife is
Your wife is a guy?

Sigh... Sorry. Couldn't resist a bad joke.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #57
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Your wife is a guy?

Sigh... Sorry. Couldn't resist a bad joke.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #58
trubuilt
Draft Pick

I am a big fan of the pub restaurants in Whalers village think it was Hula grill was one pretty good happy hour, Lahaina is also a good place to hang out, great little breakfast place sunrise cafe cheap and good not too fancy though
trubuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #59
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Fish and Pasta place in the Whalers village is awesome. Just go during happy hours and you can save a bunch on drinks.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #60
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well we just got back from Hawaii and I really enjoyed it. We stayed in Kahana at the Valley Isle Resort (VRBO Rental) which is northwest and stayed beachfront. We have a 7 month old and it was perfect. Some tips for going:

If you are ocean front and in whale season stay on floor 4 or above. The whales are incredible to watch all day

Think about sharing meals as the portions in Hawaii are quite large

Stop at Da Kitchen either by the airport or in Kihei you will not be disappointed. The food is incredible and arrives 2-3 mins after ordering it.

Road to Hana is crazy. If your wife has anxiety problems it is best to avoid this road the narrowness and crazy local drivers will not make it easy on their anxiety.

Maui Brewing company has delicious onion rings

Poke at Safeway is the best thing ever invented. $12/lbs for sashimi type food is the best deal on the island. We ate 5 lbs in our 10 day stay
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Ace