Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #161
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is she part Basenji?
The shelter thought she is Shiba Inu and Aussie Cattle Dog, but I can definitely see the possibility of Basenji.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #162
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Moe View Post
The shelter thought she is Shiba Inu and Aussie Cattle Dog, but I can definitely see the possibility of Basenji.
The pointy ears and body point to Basenji. Does the tail curl? I have a Basenji so as soon as I saw your picture I could see Basenji in that dog.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-10-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #163
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

This is our newest addition to our home Chance. He had a cancerous tumor removed from his leg and radiation as well as they did not remove it all. He is doing great so far we have had him for about 7 months. He cracks me up but holy crap can bulldogs be stubborn
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #164
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Recently added a puppy to the family. My 6 year old border collie is getting use to having a new shadow!

fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #165
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The pointy ears and body point to Basenji. Does the tail curl? I have a Basenji so as soon as I saw your picture I could see Basenji in that dog.
No curly tail. I'm telling everyone that she's half Dingo.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Moe View Post
No curly tail. I'm telling everyone that she's half Dingo.
..and to not ask about your baby.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #167
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
..and to not ask about your baby.
Does thanking this post date you badly? I thought about posting something similar but wasn't sure if it would fly over a lot of heads.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #168
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooo old.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #169
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry, if this does not go here.

I would like to get insurance for a cat we just adopted from the shelter and would appreciate your experiences/recommendations.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #170
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Sorry, if this does not go here.

I would like to get insurance for a cat we just adopted from the shelter and would appreciate your experiences/recommendations.
I'm no expert on pet insurance but if your cat is strictly indoor I don't know if insurance is a must have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #171
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I'm no expert on pet insurance but if your cat is strictly indoor I don't know if insurance is a must have.
I would tend to agree. Yes you can get unlucky and have your cat swallow something that requires surgery or get sick and need xrays etc but in my experience it is not usually good value for the service you get. This is in largepart due to the horror stories I've heard from people who found out their coverage had a million exclusions (think even more of a rip off than travel insurance).

I would either a) just prepare to have to pay for it out of your own resources or b) set up a specific pet savings account and put $50/month (or whatever) in there for the inevitable vet bills.

Since I first got my cat 3 years ago, I've spent exactly $0 on vet visits other than her initial mandated shots. I haven't set up a separate savings account for vet expenses but I have budgeted as part of my regular rainy day fund just in case.

My sister's cat hadn't been to the vet in 13 years. But in the last year she's spent about $1200 in various procedures because the cat is getting older and has had some minor health problems.

One thing in favor of pet insurance is that everything is crazy expensive when it comes to a vet. Something as simple as a blood test or teeth cleaning can cost like $500 each.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #172
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks to both.
Although he is an older cat (5) he is strictly indoor, and besides (according to the shelter) having had in the past some issues with crystals in his urine which require him to have wet food (with lots of water) there was nothing else in his medical history.

Appreciate the advice, and will just stash away 50 a month just in case.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #173
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I can gather, you should always have insurance for the first year of ownership, to determine whether the pet is prone to illness or has any health conditions that will require ongoing treatment and costs. From there, take the advice of the vet as to whether there are any significant concerns to be worried about down the road.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #174
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

My little girl Sierra.

wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #175
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Sierra a golden retriever?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #176
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Is Sierra a golden retriever?
Yes, she is a purebred Golden. She is often mistaken for an Irish Setter due to her dark colour.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #177
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pics of dogs sleeping > all other dog pics.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #178
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I started this thread it was the beginning of our life with the little dog that was pictured in the initial post of this topic. Photobucket is no longer showing the picture.

We are devastated. Yesterday afternoon at 3pm my wife and dog were struck by a truck while crossing a crosswalk in a school zone at a 4 way stop. My wife was taken to emergency and she has an injured leg. It's not broken, badly sprained and possible torn ligaments around her knee. We have a followup in a week.

Our beautiful little dog Maggie didn't make it. I can't even begin to express how I feel. I feel empty and numb. I was there when it happened but I was in my car.

Every day we park in the same spot to get my son from school. My wife takes Maggie out for a short walk. I was on my phone then looked up and I saw commotion at the crosswalk. Right then I knew something bad happened.

When I ran over my wife was on the ground. She was OK but in pain from her leg. My dog was dead. I just can't believe this happened. I don't know how this happened at a cross walk, 4 way stop in a 30k zone. There's no reason for it. None. My wife is always super careful when crossing the street. I just don't know what to do. It sounds cliche but that little dog was like our child. She was extremely intelligent, and very affectionate. I couldn't sleep at all last night. My dreams were filled with images of our little dog.

Rest in peace Maggie, we love you. It's just so damned hard.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #179
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
When I started this thread it was the beginning of our life with the little dog that was pictured in the initial post of this topic. Photobucket is no longer showing the picture.

We are devastated. Yesterday afternoon at 3pm my wife and dog were struck by a truck while crossing a crosswalk in a school zone at a 4 way stop. My wife was taken to emergency and she has an injured leg. It's not broken, badly sprained and possible torn ligaments around her knee. We have a followup in a week.

Our beautiful little dog Maggie didn't make it. I can't even begin to express how I feel. I feel empty and numb. I was there when it happened but I was in my car.

Every day we park in the same spot to get my son from school. My wife takes Maggie out for a short walk. I was on my phone then looked up and I saw commotion at the crosswalk. Right then I knew something bad happened.

When I ran over my wife was on the ground. She was OK but in pain from her leg. My dog was dead. I just can't believe this happened. I don't know how this happened at a cross walk, 4 way stop in a 30k zone. There's no reason for it. None. My wife is always super careful when crossing the street. I just don't know what to do. It sounds cliche but that little dog was like our child. She was extremely intelligent, and very affectionate. I couldn't sleep at all last night. My dreams were filled with images of our little dog.

Rest in peace Maggie, we love you. It's just so damned hard.
Oh my gosh, I'm so very sorry to hear this. What awful news. I'm so glad your wife is going to be okay, but just heartbroken to hear about your Maggie.

My condolences to all of you.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #180
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awful awful news Drak. So sorry to hear. Glad your wife is okay, but I can't imagine that happening to my guy. Especially in front of my eyes. One of my worst fears.

I assume an altercation with the driver ensued. What happened there?