Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #4961
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Anybody know why Vancouver is so expensive hotel wise the week of Sept 18? Staying downtown in a decent four star is showing crazy prices of $700 plus a night.
Lavar Cup is also happening that week.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #4962
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
How long do you have to wait for a passport these days?
My wife got hers in less than two weeks, that was about a month ago.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #4963
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just reading through the US Sim card posts in this thread, wondering about a few things.

Is there anywhere here in Calgary I can buy a physical US Sim card to use on my trip next week?

Can I just hit up a cell provider in Montana on the way and buy one?

I got an extra $75 on my bill during my Hawaii trip this spring and that was with barely using it. Want to avoid that again.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #4964
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone stayed in Montreal lately? Heading down for a week in October and have no idea where is a good place to stay that won't cost a small fortune.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:51 PM   #4965
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems too good to be true. HelloVacay has a service where for $39/year if your flight is delayed by at least 60 minutes you get a voucher for the lounge in hundreds of airports. If this is legit, with all of the travel we do it’d be terrific.

Quote:
Imagine this. You've just landed after a long flight, and your connecting flight is delayed.

You're tired, hungry, and just want a quiet place to rest.

But the terminal is crowded and noisy.

Then you remember - you activated VacayDelay so you can access up to 1,300+ airport lounges around the world, when you face a travel delay.

Now you can find a lounge where you get easy & quick access, and within minutes, you're sinking into a comfortable seat in a peaceful lounge, a complimentary drink in your hand.

This could be your reality!

Our VacayDelay demystifies airport lounge access, showing you how it's possible even without elite status or a first-class ticket.

Activate VacayDelay now and start making your travel experience more enjoyable today!

For just $39 per year, you and up to 4 guests can access over 1,300+ airport lounges around the world each time your flight is delayed...for the entire year.

Click to learn more
https://hellovacay.com/vacaydelay39
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2023, 05:00 PM   #4966
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Seems too good to be true. HelloVacay has a service where for $39/year if your flight is delayed by at least 60 minutes you get a voucher for the lounge in hundreds of airports. If this is legit, with all of the travel we do it’d be terrific.
$39? yeah that's too good to be true and if it is true, prepare to be in the lounge with 1000s of people...

Maybe if it was $390.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:03 PM   #4967
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume it will be essentially useless for any serious event, because typically delays mean multiple flights cancelled, which means those lounges start restricting access as they fill, and if you think your $39 pass provides you any priority, well...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:23 PM   #4968
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1700876421126623285
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:31 PM   #4969
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with that is that airport lounges are getting increasingly busy and they do have limited capacity. I have a bank account that has a perk that I get four ‘free’ lounge visits per annum.

On more than one occasion it has been impossible to get entry to the lounge unless you’ve pre booked because it’s full. That is bound to happen to those carrying insurance for entry related to delays, because how do you prebook for a delay?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #4970
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're partnered with Priority Pass, which means you'll get a priority pass lounge voucher. Potential issues include priority pass not being available everywhere, but the bigger one is that it's the lowest priority. Eg. I have a full priority pass membership, which theoretically includes access to the Westjet Elevation lounge. Only once out of my last 3 trips has it been available for Priority Pass guests when I walked up, because they save space for Westjet business class customers/elites. They're even less likely than normal to have space during times with delays because the people who are higher priority will stay longer.

In terms of pricing, they're probably expecting to sell this mostly to occasional travellers who end up using it 0-1 times per year. In the US priority pass comes with most travel credit cards, so any reasonably serious traveller already has it. The fine print says you don't get the pass until it's actually delayed the hour, so even if a 90 minute delay is published you probably don't actually use it, because you don't get the code until 60 minutes past scheduled departure and by then you'll want to be at the gate for the new departure not heading for a lounge somewhere else.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:27 PM   #4971
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
They're partnered with Priority Pass, which means you'll get a priority pass lounge voucher. Potential issues include priority pass not being available everywhere, but the bigger one is that it's the lowest priority. Eg. I have a full priority pass membership, which theoretically includes access to the Westjet Elevation lounge. Only once out of my last 3 trips has it been available for Priority Pass guests when I walked up, because they save space for Westjet business class customers/elites. They're even less likely than normal to have space during times with delays because the people who are higher priority will stay longer.

In terms of pricing, they're probably expecting to sell this mostly to occasional travellers who end up using it 0-1 times per year. In the US priority pass comes with most travel credit cards, so any reasonably serious traveller already has it. The fine print says you don't get the pass until it's actually delayed the hour, so even if a 90 minute delay is published you probably don't actually use it, because you don't get the code until 60 minutes past scheduled departure and by then you'll want to be at the gate for the new departure not heading for a lounge somewhere else.
There were significant changes to Priority Pass about a year ago as well where they lost a significant amount of lounges due to a contract change.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:27 PM   #4972
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for this. I've never heard about VacayDelay until now.

There is a $29 promo currently https://hellovacay.com/vacaydelay-get-started/ I'd probably give it a try at least for a year since I fly Flair and more often than not, I will experience a lengthy delay
Old 09-11-2023, 10:23 PM   #4973
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't seem like a particularly useful scheme. Delay rates are about 20% and are defined as anything 15+ minutes. I couldn't find data for delay severity.

A portion of these delays occur after the passengers have already been boarded, rendering the benefit useless. It also seems like you have to register every flight with them and likely update it if you switch flights or standby. I'd rather put the $29 toward paying for a lounge when I actually want to use it.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:24 AM   #4974
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Has anyone stayed in Montreal lately? Heading down for a week in October and have no idea where is a good place to stay that won't cost a small fortune.
We were there late August and stayed at the Delta Montreal. Older hotel now but decent not too far from anything.

Was able to get a decent rate using a McGill code for visiting parents. We were there to do a McGill tour with our daughter. They didn't ask for anything on check in code is on the Mcgill website somewhere.

I think we were around $220 a night not cheap but not terrible. We moved up to a Residence inn in Laval later in the week for Baseball Nationals for my son and it was $199.

My personal favorite to stay in Montreal is the Place d'Armes but it is expensive as hell now.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:36 AM   #4975
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
There were significant changes to Priority Pass about a year ago as well where they lost a significant amount of lounges due to a contract change.
Yeah, I have Priority Pass and it's rare that I even have a lounge in the specific airport and terminal that I'm in. Maybe once a year. Maybe.

Priority Pass really got way worse about 5-6 years ago when they lost the United Club contract. After that, it became largely useless.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:47 AM   #4976
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:

Just checked out of Travelodge by Wyndham Montreal Centre. It's a decent location and seems to be in the lower end for that area. But that's all you get, don't expect anything to work, or friendly service.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:18 AM   #4977
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone with a suggestion for passport photos downtown?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #4978
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone with a suggestion for passport photos downtown?

London Drugs.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:12 AM   #4979
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on Seattle? My buddy and I are planning on going for a weekend in December for a Kraken and Seahawks game. Any places we should or shouldn't stay? Flight advice?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:28 AM   #4980
tipenmat
Draft Pick

Quote:
If you are okay staying at a B&B, this place is quite decent and affordable. You get a private room and bathroom, also free homemade breakfast is included. I stayed there this summer. The nice thing is that, unlike other B&Bs the room is separate from the owners living area so you just go through a set of stairs to get to your room:
https://gitedezery.com/home-en/
tipenmat is offline   Reply With Quote