Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #301
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are hard to please. I enjoyed the finale immensely. Great series.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #302
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind it at all. Nice little standalone, creaking some doors open while not actually making any big changes. Other than Vision being back in some form, and Wanda actually being the Scarlet Witch now, but it was a story about them, so that's all fine. Fleshed out characters that otherwise would not be getting enough screentime in the movies. I'm all for more depth in a shared universe.

First end credit setting up Captain Marvel 2, the most poorly conceived character in the MCU. Whatever.

Second end credit was kind of unnecessary simply because the existence of pretend Wanda making tea when no one around is confusing. It seemed almost like a lead to a second season, but we all know these little series are all one-offs.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #303
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m a little disappointed how Agatha was resolved. I mean she killed Sparky and everyone has seemed to forgotten about it
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #304
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I’m a little disappointed how Agatha was resolved. I mean she killed Sparky and everyone has seemed to forgotten about it
Was Sparky even real?
Old 03-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #305
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Was Sparky even real?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #306
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was a pretty good wrap up for the series and most of the plot points. Sure we didn't get answers for everything that was brought up, but that's okay. The emotional scenes and acting with Vision and Wanda were top notch as was OG Vision and White Vision scenes. Vision breaking himself with a logic was pretty fitting for the character.

Little bit disappointed we don't know who the missing informant that Jimmy Woo was checking up on and you'd think OG Vision would have at least talked to Wanda about White Vision near the end after the fight
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #307
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Was Sparky even real?
If real, was Sparky even a dog?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #308
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I didn't mind it at all. Nice little standalone, creaking some doors open while not actually making any big changes. Other than Vision being back in some form, and Wanda actually being the Scarlet Witch now, but it was a story about them, so that's all fine. Fleshed out characters that otherwise would not be getting enough screentime in the movies. I'm all for more depth in a shared universe.

First end credit setting up Captain Marvel 2, the most poorly conceived character in the MCU. Whatever.

Second end credit was kind of unnecessary simply because the existence of pretend Wanda making tea when no one around is confusing. It seemed almost like a lead to a second season, but we all know these little series are all one-offs.
Oh I took it as physical Wanda was making tea while Astral Wanda was studying the Darkhold. I saw it as she is so much more powerful than Dr Strange that she can exist in both forms at once, unlike the Sorcerers whose physical body sleeps while in Astral form.

I got caught up in the mystery that the hype created and trying to find all these super serious secret reveals that basically never came to be. At the end I was actually much more satisfied in the story without the big distractions and not having/revealing a "big bad".

Even knowing it was going to happen, having to say goodbye to her kids was a hard scene that I thought the actors did a good job of. And knowing they are coming back made the final scene a little more satisfying. I could totally see Wanda now ripping through the multiverse to find them again as the Multiverse of Madness set-up.

I'm really curious about why Dr Strange didn't get involved and what he was actually doing. If the magic was powerful enough to draw Agatha, I would think he would have sensed it when he can tell that Loki is just visiting NY.

I'm happy with the series as a whole and can't wait to watch it in one sitting.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #309
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was okay. I was expecting more twists but we got a standard by the numbers MCU conclusion. Once again the climax is characters with the same powers battling it out. I did really enjoy the Vision battle turning philosophical and the big Scarlet Witch transition and reveal felt like an epic cinematic moment.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #310
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the people who expected big reveals like Fietro being an X-man haven’t really followed along in how the interconnected universe in Marvel has been set up. It hasn’t been really through dramatic reveals with the exception of Winter Solider. It’s been telling stand alone stories with little threads and then end credit previews. This held to that approach it gave Wanda the Darkhold, showed her power relative to Strange and set her up as a future villain with motivations. It added a new hero for Captain Marvel / Secret Wars. Put Vision / Ultron back in the playing field. And Agatha is still around as needed.

I loved that they didn’t feel the need to expand. This was a great Comic book mini series.

I loved the Android logic trap being the resolution to the Vision white vision rather than their powers. Bettany’s monologues were fantastic and the Ship of Theseus was such a great reflection on what is real in a universe in a universe.

I hope they can resist turning these into annual series and instead keep them true to the comic book special events they represent.

My only criticism would be they didn’t lean into the TV show thing more and spend more time in the Hex. An enjoyable 4hrs of TV. Having a Marvel show and A Star Wars show effectively running continuously year over year is going to be fun
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #311
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol the Vision vs Vision battle ending made the whole series for me.

And I really liked her final costume design.

Overall liked the finale, wish they could have spent a bit more time with the different plot lines and would have liked to see Monica a bit more impactful. But endings almost always feel rushed.

And I see a lot of people unhappy that a bunch of the speculations didn't pan out, but I think they did a lot with a TV series when I expected almost nothing that would impact the movies, which is neat.

White Vision is out there and he's going to show up in a movie, I wonder how they'll handle that. Or is he going to be a TV-only character?
Old 03-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #312
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monica was just the worst. Kept doing stupid things that should have gotten her fired or killed yet ends up with powers. Also, other than the it is all Wanda reveal she added nothing to the story. Felt like a tacked on origin story/CM2 set up that took time away from a solid Scarlett Witch origin.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #313
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Can someone tell me who...

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #314
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Spoiler!
I don't know if she's a specific character that we have seen in the MCU, but she is a member of the Skrull's who are hiding out with Nick Fury off planet.

At first I thought it might be Talos' wife, but it's not the same actor and she's simply credited as 'Skrull Agent'.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #315
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I don't know if she's a specific character that we have seen in the MCU, but she is a member of the Skrull's who are hiding out with Nick Fury off planet.

At first I thought it might be Talos' wife, but it's not the same actor and she's simply credited as 'Skrull Agent'.
Yeah if you haven’t seen Captain Marvel you wouldn’t get it that post credits scene.

I feel like peoples knowledge of future movies/shows/access to characters in this universe set them up for too high of tie in expectations. I enjoyed it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #316
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the people who expected big reveals like Fietro being an X-man haven’t really followed along in how the interconnected universe in Marvel has been set up. It hasn’t been really through dramatic reveals with the exception of Winter Solider. It’s been telling stand alone stories with little threads and then end credit previews. This held to that approach it gave Wanda the Darkhold, showed her power relative to Strange and set her up as a future villain with motivations. It added a new hero for Captain Marvel / Secret Wars. Put Vision / Ultron back in the playing field. And Agatha is still around as needed.

I loved that they didn’t feel the need to expand. This was a great Comic book mini series.

I loved the Android logic trap being the resolution to the Vision white vision rather than their powers. Bettany’s monologues were fantastic and the Ship of Theseus was such a great reflection on what is real in a universe in a universe.

I hope they can resist turning these into annual series and instead keep them true to the comic book special events they represent.

My only criticism would be they didn’t lean into the TV show thing more and spend more time in the Hex. An enjoyable 4hrs of TV. Having a Marvel show and A Star Wars show effectively running continuously year over year is going to be fun
You could add Spider-man in Civil War to the big reveal list but I agree that they don't do it often so I think people were expecting too much in the series. Having Dr Strange or introducing Fantastic Four or the next big bad guy or whatever fan theory would have blown up the budget and we probably shouldn't have expected.

Form the looks of it, they're keeping all the series to limited series. At least the first few. Falcon/Winter Soldier, Loki and Hawkeye are all one-offs from my understanding. I'm sure She Hulk and Ms Marvel will be ongoing though.

I wasn't blown away by the final episode but I was satisfied. It was enjoyable and tied things up nicely.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #317
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked the series, I think it was right up there with Marvels quality standards. The whole thing was clearly a prologue to all of phase 4. It told a tight short story about the lengths are person would go to, to deal with grief within the constraints of a story that needs superpowered conflicts, and because this isn't a dark franchise they filled us with hope in the end.

I think they've set Wanda up nicely to be a conflicted fallen hero whos strings are being pulled by a more malicious force (Chathon). Doctor Stranges mission will not be to defeat Wanda (and we've been told he is not strong enough to defeat her), but rather to redeem her.

I think with White Vision, we are in for 10 years of something like what they did to Black Widow and the Hulk, they will want love to be there, but it's just short of being there.

Darcy and Woo were well used, they were just there to make the universe feel smaller and more interconnected when those characters return to their own franchises next year.

Agatha will be back, great use of an intermediate villain for a "smaller" scale production. And great way to bury her for later use.

Hayward & Fury have me wondering if the plot of Secret Invasion will be a civil war within the ranks of SWORD following the death of Maria, Human first vs Skrull-inclusive.

Biggest negative was probably Monica, they basically wasted her origin story on a conflict she didn't really participate in. She was there for the same reason as the other two allies, but her character should have been bigger than that role.

Because of it's own success and scale, the MCU is creeping towards a problem where the fan base is divided between those that love all the bridges and tie ins between different productions, and those who can't keep up with the fire hose of content. I'm guessing if you're the former you liked Wandavision, you know who you are because you've already watched the legends clips for Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #318
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked it, for one thing, I think it was an outstanding cast. especially Agnes.

I think in terms though that it was a bit safe in terms of exploring the mechanics of Wanda's grief and how it lead to an almost casual level of unaware cruelty in her.

I loved that they bought back the Darkhold that was featured prominently in Agents of Shield, and helped create one of my favorite sympathetic villains in Aida. However I thought that the book itself was taken by Ghost Rider into a hell dimension to hide it, there's a story around how Agnes got that book. As well the terrifying truth of the Darkhold is it corrupts anyone who sets eyes on it. It corrupted Radcliffe who used the book to create the framework, and it completely corrupted AIDA. One can imagine the terrors that a corrupted Scarlet Witch will unleash and it goes towards the foretelling that she will destroy the world.

It was tragic that in the end, Vision and Wanda's children were removed from existence. And you get the feeling that while Wanda seemed to accept it, I don't know if I buy that she's over come it, nor the casual cruelty as she showed with Agnes by imprisoning her in what is basically a nightmare slavish existence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #319
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I liked it, for one thing, I think it was an outstanding cast. especially Agnes.

I think in terms though that it was a bit safe in terms of exploring the mechanics of Wanda's grief and how it lead to an almost casual level of unaware cruelty in her.

I loved that they bought back the Darkhold that was featured prominently in Agents of Shield, and helped create one of my favorite sympathetic villains in Aida. However I thought that the book itself was taken by Ghost Rider into a hell dimension to hide it, there's a story around how Agnes got that book. As well the terrifying truth of the Darkhold is it corrupts anyone who sets eyes on it. It corrupted Radcliffe who used the book to create the framework, and it completely corrupted AIDA. One can imagine the terrors that a corrupted Scarlet Witch will unleash and it goes towards the foretelling that she will destroy the world.

It was tragic that in the end, Vision and Wanda's children were removed from existence. And you get the feeling that while Wanda seemed to accept it, I don't know if I buy that she's over come it, nor the casual cruelty as she showed with Agnes by imprisoning her in what is basically a nightmare slavish existence.
Sadly, to me this is basically confirmation they are writing off the history of AoS. But they can always ret-con things if they want to bring the characters back, I'd guess something like the Hex, the Snap... opened a link between dimensions, and whoever the big bad of Multiverse of Madness is could have always given the book the their faithful servant Agatha, especially if they want to resurrect any of the characters from AoS.

I think if we see Agents of SWORD, the Thunderbolts, and the Inhumans all enter the MCU without a nod to Agents of SHEILD then the hope is dead, luckily I don't think any of those are really in development yet, so there is still time.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: