Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Taking over someone's mobile plan

Does anyone have experience taking over someone's mobile plan (specifically from Telus) and any pitfalls? I found someone who needs to dump their plan and it hits my sweet spot for price and features so I'm tempted. If there is anyone who works for mobility I'd love to get in touch as assuming I go this route I'll want to trade up on the phone.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't. You're probably missing the benefit of the massive subsidy on a new device when you sign up on your own contract. What phone comes with it? I'd take into account what device they are offering as well as remaining term and I'd also want them to kick in some cash too. If you bring your own device you can get better pricing from the carriers as well.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never heard of this before, is this something you can actually do?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have sold my phone with its associated plan twice now. I had to call my provider and authorize them so that the buyer can call and set up an account. Once the buyer calls in the transfer is done. Its actually a pretty painless process and and carriers haven't given me any hassle, I did it with Rogers and with Bell.
oilyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

2.5 years left on a contract. Under $60 for 5gb of data and more minutes than I'll use in a year. Comes with an iPhone that I'll just trade in on an android but that will keep me going until I get the new phone. I'd like an S4 but worst case I grab a 3 and more on.

Biggest thing is I couldn't get a plan today for what this guy got a few months ago. I'd be paying $100 a month now on a new contract instead of $55 he got. The delta over the life of the contract would be about $1100...unless there is a mobile provider who can come down on their publicized prices a whole lot.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a great retention plan. Like oilyfan said, it's generally a painless process. You could do it in person at a Telus store, ensure everything's working and there aren't any hidden bumps in the road like a late bill here or unpaid charges.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When you go to negotiate with the seller of the plan, keep in mind that telus initially charges less then retail on the cell phone included in the contract, BUT they make the money up by charging a fee that is included in their monthly rate. Telus makes their money back from the seemingly discounted phone at some point throughout the contract, and then starts to generate a profit. There is no such thing as a pure phone subsidy with the "big 3". Hence the move that's being made to make phone contracts 2 years max, and consumers to pay upfront for phones (like they do around the globe). The seller (if they know how to negotiate) will point out that are giving you a plan in which you can update earlier and get to grandfather options which the "big 3" companies are no longer offering, so i doubt the seller will kick in cash to go with the deal. I'd call telus and give them specifics of the deal, but not the seller, and see if they'd match it/beat it with an s4/htc one, and if not, then take over the contract.

My (convoluted) point is; you pay a fee for the phone either way, might as well see if telus will give you the same deal with a new s4 and if not, take over the plan.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

also might want to double check that there are no "Credits" applied to the plan that expire before the plan does!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post: