Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #121
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If those numbers are accurate the Flames are cornered and they know it. You don't leave a city of a million fans to a quarter of that. Even with USA location and higher salaries.
Those numbers aren't even remotely close to accurate. The method is so flawed that there is nothing to support the reasoning behind these numbers.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #122
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Calgary has abundantly proven it will support a hockey team. Should something happen down the line and the Flames leave, the only hurdle in getting a team back will be getting an arena built. Every other demographic remains attractive to any future ownership group. This city is too lucrative to ignore versus most other civic options out there.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #123
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Well, Calgary has abundantly proven it will support a hockey team. Should something happen down the line and the Flames leave, the only hurdle in getting a team back will be getting an arena built. Every other demographic remains attractive to any future ownership group. This city is too lucrative to ignore versus most other civic options out there.
No one is denying that Calgary will not support a hockey team, not in any way. The fan base in Calgary is second to none and would still be a natural for a team. The only b;lip on that radar was in '94 when we lost player after player and had to bring in garbage to play for the team. The problem is the existence of a building that can support NHL hockey. Without that arena we likely don't have the revenue streams to maintain our roster and will begin to lose players like we did in the 90s. That will be the ultimate test of the strength of the market. I honestly hope we never get to that point and we will always have a team that has the revenue streams to spend to the cap and keep our stars happy.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #124
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think everyone can agree on that, the problem keeps circling back to the lack of a modern arena. I daresay if we don't have a modern rink by 2021 we won't have a team, be it the Flames or another franchise.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #125
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No one is denying that Calgary will not support a hockey team, not in any way. The fan base in Calgary is second to none and would still be a natural for a team. The only b;lip on that radar was in '94 when we lost player after player and had to bring in garbage to play for the team. The problem is the existence of a building that can support NHL hockey. Without that arena we likely don't have the revenue streams to maintain our roster and will begin to lose players like we did in the 90s. That will be the ultimate test of the strength of the market. I honestly hope we never get to that point and we will always have a team that has the revenue streams to spend to the cap and keep our stars happy.
That's why I was in favour of a bold, thinking-outside-the-box project like CalgaryNEXT (despite people's opposition to it). It was something rarely done anywhere else, and addressed all of our sports needs in this city in one go. That type of sports district,, not just a new arena, would go a long way to attracting free agents here and raising the quality of professional sports in our town. We're a world-class city and the idea behind CalgaryNEXT (as a sports district) was world class.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #126
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's why I was in favour of a bold, thinking-outside-the-box project like CalgaryNEXT (despite people's opposition to it). It was something rarely done anywhere else, and addressed all of our sports needs in this city in one go. That type of sports district,, not just a new arena, would go a long way to attracting free agents here and raising the quality of professional sports in our town. We're a world-class city and the idea behind CalgaryNEXT (as a sports district) was world class.
I don't buy that. In comparing venues, a player is not going to choose to come to Calgary to simply play in an arena/fieldhouse complex over playing in Toronto at the ACC. A hockey player won't care about the fieldhouse since they won't be playing or using the fieldhouse. Calgary building a state of the art stand alone arena gets the same job done.

With the arena in Victoria Park, and the rivers district plan unfolding, it could be argue the Flames will have an even better arena out of this based on the potential surrounding amenities.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #127
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't buy that. In comparing venues, a player is not going to choose to come to Calgary to simply play in an arena/fieldhouse complex over playing in Toronto at the ACC. A hockey player won't care about the fieldhouse since they won't be playing or using the fieldhouse. Calgary building a state of the art stand alone arena gets the same job done.

With the arena in Victoria Park, and the rivers district plan unfolding, it could be argue the Flames will have an even better arena out of this based on the potential surrounding amenities.
Well, I don't buy that. The city itself is definitely the strongest feature, but I'll say that a new arena and high quality professional sports facilities do help to sway people's decisions to play here. We wouldn't know because we haven't had new facilities in over 30 years. If facilities didn't matter, no one would build them. And we wouldn't be where we are today with this impasse.

Also, the functional design of the arena doesn't change whether it's in Victoria Park or the West Village. It will feature best practices in sports design and innovation regardless of its geographical location. A dedicated sports district is much, much more ambitious and world-class. We need more than just an arena (we need a stadium and fieldhouse too), and the Victoria Park location doesn't include either.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #128
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I don't buy that. The city itself is definitely the strongest feature, but I'll say that a new arena and high quality professional sports facilities do help to sway people's decisions to play here. We wouldn't know because we haven't had new facilities in over 30 years. If facilities didn't matter, no one would build them. And we wouldn't be where we are today with this impasse.

Also, the functional design of the arena doesn't change whether it's in Victoria Park or the West Village. It will feature best practices in sports design and innovation regardless of its geographical location. A dedicated sports district is much, much more ambitious and world-class. We need more than just an arena (we need a stadium and fieldhouse too), and the Victoria Park location doesn't include either.
The reason new stadium are so coveted in North America is that they are a politically expedient method of getting governments to give sports clubs money.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #129
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not arguing that a new arena of high standard is a factor in a players interest. That we agree on. I'm arguing that it's irrelevant that if it's part of a sports complex or sports district.

The function, and size of an arena is different from a stadium, and even moreso than a public feildhouse. An arena is an event centre that provides both sporting and entertainment amenities. Whereas a fieldhouse is a recreational facility. Considering the arena should have a fair amount of events in it's nightly calendar, it's fitting for it to be located in a area that's trying to establish a social/cultural district that is already shovel ready.

The city does need a fieldhouse, badly. But I'm of the opinion that it would be better served as it's own entity in the original location across the university. Access, parking, and usage (both with the public and the university) I feel is improved there rather than downtown. I also wasn't keen on the idea of it being a stadium hybird, since I think you wouldn't be getting the best of either worlds with that combination.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #130
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bump.

Just approved by Seattle city council 7-1.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #131
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

By 2020 it's quite possible the western conference has teams in Houston and Seattle. Hopefully that means the end of the Coyotes. If only they could have got an arena downtown or in Scottsdale.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #132
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were a tax payer in Calgary I wouldn't want the City to flip the bill.

I think the house the Oilers owner just bought should serve as a reminder these NHL owners can afford the majority of the costs.

If they use relocation as a threat i a few years let them go.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #133
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Bump.

Just approved by Seattle city council 7-1.
Funny how smoothly things go when someone pays for the building instead of pressuring/guilting a city into paying for one.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #134
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

I think the house the Oilers owner just bought should serve as a reminder these NHL owners can afford the majority of the costs.

That was actually the first thing that occurred to me when I saw Katz bought that place, what a P.O.S. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would take legit pride in being called that. God he's greasy
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #135
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Seattle Times says the NHL is expected to announce an expansion team or relocation team for Seattle in July. Hope is that NHL team will be ready for the 20/21 season.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ed_buffer_tw_m
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #136
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

And yet, even with that horrible deal that I wouldn't want to see the Flames get, the city is still benefiting from the new arena, it has really revitalized the downtown core.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #137
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Seattle Times says the NHL is expected to announce an expansion team or relocation team for Seattle in July. Hope is that NHL team will be ready for the 20/21 season.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ed_buffer_tw_m
Well looks like Burke and co. Seattle as their empty go-to relocation threat. Hopefully Houston gets a team in the near future as well to drive home that the Flames aren't moving anywhere
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #138
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And yet, even with that horrible deal that I wouldn't want to see the Flames get, the city is still benefiting from the new arena, it has really revitalized the downtown core.
Bankrupting the city for a sports team is idiotic.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 AM   #139
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Funny how smoothly things go when someone pays for the building instead of pressuring/guilting a city into paying for one.
What did Seattle council approve? A planning concept? A financing package?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:14 AM   #140
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else hear the rumour that the Shaw family may be interested in buying the Flames?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote