Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #81
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
Contrived - sure, give no credit for conor grabbing that money bag and what followed. There's a lot of thinking on his feet and rolling with the punches than people here are giving credit for

They are hyping a fight and doing a damn good job at it

watch Dana White's video blog and you'll see Conor wasn't expecting to give speeches and is a lot less contrived as you think from one side and more shooot from the hip.

Go to 4:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LECf334Dc&t
I agree with you. I failed to elaborate on what i meant by 'contrived'. i meant contrived in the sense, that they are both promoting the fight like a WWF Survivor Series matchup. They both know that hyping the fight is good for business.

I completely agree, that Conor has a very unique gift and is extraordinary at thinking on his feet. Case in point at his comebacks to Floyd's barrages.

In the end, they are two prize fighters, with competitiveness and a gift for showmanship, hyping the fight to fill their pockets. I won't lie, but I will watch this. I will not pay for it though, but will find a way to watch.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #82
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

These promtional tours are absolutely doing their job though. It makes you hate Floyd and really start to believe C McG can win because he's so charasmatic. They've also been pretty funny. But there's just no way he can, I watched the highlights of his second fight with Diaz when they were throwing punches and it's clearly inferior to what a pure boxer can do. Pac-man was an exceptional boxer and Floyd turned that fight into a snoozer, he wasn't even in trouble once.

Maybe there was a time boxing matches were about pure competition but that certainly isn't the way the last few mega fights have been. Making something PPV and relying on blatant promotion kinda takes the soul out of it.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #83
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think that the best outcome of this fight is that they both punch each other in the mouth so hard they cannot talk any more.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #84
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I haven't followed boxing since the Tyson era, I'll be watching this one.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #85
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Even though I haven't followed boxing since the Tyson era, I'll be watching this one.
Prepare to be put to sleep like a 9 hour broadcast of golf. MacGregor may not land 5 power punches on him all night. Mayweather is going to put on his marathon sneakers.

A Mayweather fight is the exact opposite of a Tyson fight!!!!! zzzzzzzzzz
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #86
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will watch this like a lot of the world but I'm not expecting major entertainment value based on Mayweather being likely the best defensive boxer ever. Think of how exciting the New Jersey Devils trap was at their clutch & grab peak and that's the max entertainment value of a Mayweather fight.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #87
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
Contrived - sure, give no credit for conor grabbing that money bag and what followed. There's a lot of thinking on his feet and rolling with the punches than people here are giving credit for

They are hyping a fight and doing a damn good job at it

watch Dana White's video blog and you'll see Conor wasn't expecting to give speeches and is a lot less contrived as you think from one side and more shooot from the hip.

Go to 4:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LECf334Dc&t
Can't say I buy a second of that exchange. You don't think Dana and Conor know that footage is going on his blog? Secondly, what does Conor think is going to happen at these events? They fully know going in what they're going to harp on for the entire time. The dialogue may not be fully scripted, but the pointers are fully premeditated. Leaving the bag there? Pure set up. After it was announced that Mayweather owes money, and fully knowing he's going to brag about being money mayweather, wasn't it reasonable that Conor had it ready in his back pocket to say that he "owes money"? Nothing genius about that. To me, one hype event is enough of rubbish. To have 4+ is nonsense and to me, spews WWE. Nobody in my mind is gaining from this. Commentators can say this is helping the promo, but to me it's really killing the match's credibility more than it did before this ridiculous match was announced. Clearly there are those who drink this koolaid.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #88
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of WWE, HHH is trying to have the two show up on an episode of RAW. Word is that's the reason why Enzo trashed Conor on Twitter a few weeks ago and why they repeatedly keep bringing it up whenever there's a segment with him.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article...weather-to-raw
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #89
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Triple H offering to let them go on Raw, because why not make it even more ridiculous? I mean yeah these pressers are mostly "staged", but it's fun and it is kind of like Attitude Era WWF. But yeah this will be the most illegally streamed event in history. Everyone wants to see it cause who doesn't like a sideshow, but not nearly as many people want to pay $100 to see it.

Anyway here is the rumoured range for tickets to the show since I know TAO is thinking of going (probably not anymore). Apparently the $500 tickets will be "very limited", and you only get in the lower bowl for $5,000 and above. Gonna be very interesting to see if people are really willing to pay three arms and eight legs to see one of the worst fights ever.

$500, $1,500, $2,500, $3,500, $5,000 $7,500, $10,000

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-13-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #90
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Can't say I buy a second of that exchange. You don't think Dana and Conor know that footage is going on his blog? Secondly, what does Conor think is going to happen at these events? They fully know going in what they're going to harp on for the entire time. The dialogue may not be fully scripted, but the pointers are fully premeditated. Leaving the bag there? Pure set up. After it was announced that Mayweather owes money, and fully knowing he's going to brag about being money mayweather, wasn't it reasonable that Conor had it ready in his back pocket to say that he "owes money"? Nothing genius about that. To me, one hype event is enough of rubbish. To have 4+ is nonsense and to me, spews WWE. Nobody in my mind is gaining from this. Commentators can say this is helping the promo, but to me it's really killing the match's credibility more than it did before this ridiculous match was announced. Clearly there are those who drink this koolaid.
If you believe the placement of the bag is a work I think you're taking it way to seriously and should let your guard down a bit and just try and enjoy it.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #91
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I should relax but this bs should be called out when they expect hard working people to shell out $100 for a lousy PPV. It's an embarrassment at the end of the day. Let me guess, this final show will escalate to something stupid to really get people to think they hate one another. I'm guessing the angle will be a shoving match with Dana giving his best concerned impression but afterwards smiling ear to ear knowing a faux escalation took place. I hate being duped and this is what this has become.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:11 AM   #92
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know that they both have some hollywood writer laying this out for them.

Yeah, here's some props, make sure you wear these shoes with lifts.

This has actually reduced my interest in a fight that's going to be boring and lopsided anyways.

This reminds me of the early days of UFC when they experimented with WWE style promo's and micro stories combined with mixed martial arts. They created false rivalries and then hyped them with WWE style pitches.

I watched the tour and I rolled my eyes because it was just so over the top phony.

I'm sure these guys are sitting in a hotel room right now laughing at the rubes.

I mean the cheapest tickets to the show are $500.00 and the most expensive are $10,000. And in the end people are going to complain that the fight was boring and garbage. But it'll be sold out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #93
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #94
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Everyone will be on their toes hoping somehow Conor lands a massive punch
No, not everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #95
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Triple H offering to let them go on Raw, because why not make it even more ridiculous? I mean yeah these pressers are mostly "staged", but it's fun and it is kind of like Attitude Era WWF. But yeah this will be the most illegally streamed event in history. Everyone wants to see it cause who doesn't like a sideshow, but not nearly as many people want to pay $100 to see it.

Anyway here is the rumoured range for tickets to the show since I know TAO is thinking of going (probably not anymore). Apparently the $500 tickets will be "very limited", and you only get in the lower bowl for $5,000 and above. Gonna be very interesting to see if people are really willing to pay three arms and eight legs to see one of the worst fights ever.

$500, $1,500, $2,500, $3,500, $5,000 $7,500, $10,000
I would only go if I could pay $500. Everything I looked at is $2,700 (USD) for the worst seat in the house. When are these going on sale do you know?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 AM   #96
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
These promtional tours are absolutely doing their job though. It makes you hate Floyd and really start to believe C McG can win because he's so charasmatic. They've also been pretty funny. But there's just no way he can, I watched the highlights of his second fight with Diaz when they were throwing punches and it's clearly inferior to what a pure boxer can do. Pac-man was an exceptional boxer and Floyd turned that fight into a snoozer, he wasn't even in trouble once.
I've gotten the exact opposite from it. I'm no Mayweather fan, but this tour has made me hope that he destroys McGregor.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #97
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
No, not everyone.
You mean like the idiots that bet 1000 to win 400?

I'm guessing 99% of non-betters hope Mayweather trips over his face on the way down
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #98
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You mean like the idiots that bet 1000 to win 400?

I'm guessing 99% of non-betters hope Mayweather trips over his face on the way down
I mean like people who don't ride Conor's nuts. I've never been much of a boxing fan so maybe that's why I can handle Mayweather's arrogance better but he has my support.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #99
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I would only go if I could pay $500. Everything I looked at is $2,700 (USD) for the worst seat in the house. When are these going on sale do you know?
If you're seeing tickets for sale they are likely fake. Tickets are supposed to go on sale the 24th, no idea if there's a presale or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
I think this will be an extremely entertaining fight for about 4-5 rounds. Everyone will be on their toes hoping somehow Conor lands a massive punch and if he doesn't, Floyd will coast to a massive lopsided win.
I just cannot get over this line of thinking. Why exactly is Conor McGregor, he of zero professional boxing fights and zero fights at the highest level of amateur boxing, a bigger threat to Floyd than the 45 or so opponents Floyd faced who have extensive boxing backgrounds? Because he talks #### really good? Yes more than likely if Conor pulls the miracle it will be an early win because of his tendency to get gassed, but he could very likely punch himself out while not landing a single decent punch, or maybe even a single punch period.

I think maybe if Floyd were known for being lazy and not taking fights seriously we could consider the possibility of Conor landing the one shot he needs. But Floyd, like him or hate him, is undeniably an exceptionally hard worker. He will be as ready as he always is. And if he is, the real "fight" might be to see if Conor can land more than 20 punches the whole fight. And if you've seen the Conor sparring videos....I'd say take the under on landing 20 punches.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #100
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think the logical gameplan for Mayweather will be to early on jab McGregor to keep him at arms length, and only allow him to throw from afar to tire him out. Then in rounds 3 and 4, he'll begin the beatdown slowly. It will be utter domination and will be akin to Mayweather sparring with an amateur, nothing more.