Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #2381
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mycroft Holmes sighting!

I have to say, I actually enjoyed watching Cersei exact her revenge on Ellaria Sand. Cold and calculated, but still with a touch of fiery hatred. Well executed, and I'm definitely not sad to see the Dornish go away.

I suppose the interactions between Snow and Targaryen were expected, but I thought there would be a little more common ground reached by the end there. Oh well, they're just dragging the story out a little longer.

Lots of troop movements though! Someone mentioned that they're moving in fast forward here, and I have to agree. No time to show long drawn out battles or ruminate too long on what to do next.

And did Bran become a goth overnight? The boy emotes nothing at all upon the sight of his lost sister, and is even more monotone in the godswood.

Still, there were lots of great moments in that episode, with some key exchanges between great characters. The dialogue was quite a bit better in that episode I thought.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #2382
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm glad the show isn't filled with long battles. I much prefer watching the players strategize and move the chess pieces than see a bunch of overblown action scenes.

Dany and Grey Worm getting caught out by Euron and Jaime was interesting. Old Lady Tyrell dying sucks. Such a great character. What a way to go though. Dagger through the heart of Jaime.

As for Bran, his change is interesting. I think he's gone full on three eyed raven and has lost his old self doing it. He's often been a bit dour since he woke up but I think being an all seeing all knowing sort of prophet has been tough on him. Too much perhaps, for now. He's lost some of his humanity.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-30-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #2383
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to abandon the clever plans. Time for shock and awe.

Also, loved Olenna's final "#### you" to Jaime and Cersei

Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #2384
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I swear, for a moment during the Cersei pleasuring Jaime scene, I thought she was gonna slip a finger back there. Especially the way the camera lingered. That would've been too perfect.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #2385
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, we just need Arya and Jon to make it to Winterfell for the full Stark family reunion, and I can be happy. Regardless of how the rest of the end of the series plays out. So thrilled to see Bran and Sansa reunited.

Won't Dorne's army mobilize to attack from the south anyway once word of what happened to Ellaria? Highgarden may not be that secure for the Lannisters...

Why do you suppose Melisandre believes she must die in Westeros? Or believes that Varys must die in Westeros as well, for that matter?

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-30-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #2386
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"He really was a ####."

23 seconds in the preview...
Spoiler!

Also, at 16 seconds...
Spoiler!

Dany very quickly lost all her Southern allies. She may have no choice but to look North.

A few little lines teasing Jon's true heritage. "I'm not a Stark" -- dragon swoops over. Then, Dany makes a point to mention that she named two of the dragons after her brothers. Now, we just need Rhaegal to bond with his namesake's son.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #2387
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't help but wondering if Cersei prattling on about Oberyn taunting the Mountain instead of just killing him won't come back on her as she taunts Ellaria.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #2388
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the interactions between Jon and Dany - we know where things needed to end, with Jon not swearing fealty but still being able to move forward with preparing to fight the Night King, and was relieved they could get to that point without either violating the core of their character. I also loved Olenna's FU to Cersei & Jamie... She went out like a boss.

But for everything else in between. . . . There's no heart in the show any more. I understand that Casterly Rock fell, that Euron's fleet again destroyed Dany's, and that the Lannisters took Highgarden, but it all happened so quickly, with no build-up or tension, that none of them had any emotional impact. Similarly, Sansa's reunion with Bran generated no emotion, though that may have been inevitable due to Bran's transformation.

This is feeling like a Cole's Notes version of GoT - Significant events are happening and the plot is being advanced, but there's zero emotional impact and thus not a lot of enjoyment for me.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #2389
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm already bored with Euron's god mode navy. It really seems out of place in this show. Everything in this show has been earned plot wise. But this really isn't. I understand they're in a compressed timeline now, but I hope this is a one off item and not indicative of the future.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #2390
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Dany has lost the Tyrell's, the Grey Joy siblings, the Dornish, the Iron Born who were loyal to the Grey Joy siblings, her entire fleet of ships and the unsullied are trapped at Casterly Rock.

Not exactly kicking butt over in Westeros. Cersei and Jamie are laying the blocks to her.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #2391
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
This is feeling like a Cole's Notes version of GoT - Significant events are happening and the plot is being advanced, but there's zero emotional impact and thus not a lot of enjoyment for me.
I agree, but I think going into this season, knowing that there were only 14 episodes left, I prepared myself for this. I'm enjoying it, but I wish we were getting a little more.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #2392
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

You guys are crazy. I thought it was a great episode!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #2393
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with any great fantasy novel is that the final act is never as rewarding as moving the pieces into place. Building the world and the mythology and expanding the show is so much more interesting than learning the outcome.

Despite that the torture of the sand snakes and Lady Tyrells deaths were brilliantly executed. These are the payoffs in a world that is no longer expanding. Celebrate the show for what it's doing well instead of complaining about the obligations it has to fulfill To End the story

I'm really liking the citadel scenes with Tarley. Did Tarley ever talk to Morrowmond about the night king?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #2394
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The thing with any great fantasy novel is that the final act is never as rewarding as moving the pieces into place. Building the world and the mythology and expanding the show is so much more interesting than learning the outcome.
At this point in the story, if the end result is the Lannister army marching to Highgarden and taking it, I don't need to see that spaced out over three episodes.

I really liked this episode. Emilia Clarke gets #### on a bit for acting ability, at least relative to a pretty stellar cast. (Though she does surprisingly have three Emmy nominations). But I thought she had one of her strongest performances in this episode. And overall, some good dialogue across the board in this episode.

Loved that Olenna revealed that she poisoned Joffrey. I'm not really sure what use Jaime has of this information at this point, but still interesting to see if this results in more of a wedge between him and Cersei over Tyrion's past (alleged) transgressions.

I acknowledge it would be cheesy, maybe even a little out of character, but still would love to see Bronn come and rescue Tyene Sand. Cersei was lecturing the mother Sand Snake about how Oberyn shouldn't have gloated and just killed Ser Gregor when he had the chance, then Cersei poisons Tyene with a poison that might take days to take effect (and reinforcing that the poison has a well known antidote). Someone is coming to save (likely just one of) the Sand Snakes. Who better than Bronn?
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #2395
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bronn is marching into Highgarden. Don't think he'll make it back to save baby sand snake if timeline is accurate.

I love all the highs and all the lows they pack into each episode. This season has been great so far.
Stud_McCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #2396
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Bronn is marching into Highgarden. Don't think he'll make it back to save baby sand snake if timeline is accurate.
if Euron has time to intercept and destroy Yara's fleet, deliver prisoners to King's Landing, then sail all the way around to the other side of the continent to Casterly Rock in time to burn the Unsullied ships, then anything is possible now.

so where were the Tyrell armies when the Highgarden assault happened? there was barely anybody there to watch the door. I know that at least some of their vassal houses switched over to Cersei's side, but I still would have expected their primary forces to be large enough to withstand more than like 5 minutes of Lannister attack.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #2397
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #2398
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Great episode but I was rather disappointed with the bland CGI on Casterly Rock and Highgarden.

I thought Jamie was besieging Casterly Rock with his army at first. I guess the shot of the castles amounted for a whole 5 seconds in total anyway.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #2399
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if Euron has time to intercept and destroy Yara's fleet, deliver prisoners to King's Landing, then sail all the way around to the other side of the continent to Casterly Rock in time to burn the Unsullied ships, then anything is possible now.

so where were the Tyrell armies when the Highgarden assault happened? there was barely anybody there to watch the door. I know that at least some of their vassal houses switched over to Cersei's side, but I still would have expected their primary forces to be large enough to withstand more than like 5 minutes of Lannister attack.
They talked about that. She kind of mentioned that when she asked Jamie how they did. She admitted they were never good fighters.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #2400
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post

I love all the highs and all the lows they pack into each episode. This season has been great so far.
I agree the little Sand Snake will be long dead. She was poisoned and then Cersi went to sleep with Jamie. Jamie probably then left to lead the army shortly after. By time we get back to King's Landing the body will well on its way becoming worm food.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote