Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #481
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My 14 year old decided not to play this year. He likes the game, but I think was frustrated with favourtism (minutes, line combos), and the lack of team play (no one ever passed the puck much). I don't think he liked the constant social gatherings and tournaments (he is more introverted). He played in a lower division, maybe 6.

He might enjoy some kind of house league or shinny.
That is unfortunate- differential ice time etc at that level (unless understood ahead of time to be a known consequence of missing a practice or being unacceptably late etc) isn't cool
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #482
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My 14 year old decided not to play this year. He likes the game, but I think was frustrated with favourtism (minutes, line combos), and the lack of team play (no one ever passed the puck much). I don't think he liked the constant social gatherings and tournaments (he is more introverted). He played in a lower division, maybe 6.

He might enjoy some kind of house league or shinny.

This is sad to read. Hopefully he still stays on the ice and is involved in the game somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
That is unfortunate- differential ice time etc at that level (unless understood ahead of time to be a known consequence of missing a practice or being unacceptably late etc) isn't cool
Bang on.

Let kids play.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #483
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

NW Warriors news:

https://www.facebook.com/northwestwa...OJ9I5w&fref=nf

When the concern regarding our logo was raised, we took it very seriously. We would have liked to have been in a position to provide a quick and decisive response, but it was clear to us that we needed to be thorough and thoughtful, and most importantly to get direction from the Crowchild family. The naming of Crowchild Twin Arena and Crowchild Hockey Association, and the use of the Crowchild Blackhawks logo, was connected to honouring Chief David Crowchild. In view of the fact that the new Warriors logo came from this homage to the Crowchild family, their input was necessary to determine our future direction.

With that, Northwest Warriors leadership has met with Chief Lee Crowchild of the Tsuut’ina Nation, and will be working in partnership with the Tsuut’ina to update the Northwest Warriors logo. The process has already begun and we look forward to working with Tsuut’ina to develop updated imagery honouring Chief David Crowchild while considerate of our members and the communities we serve. The mission of Northwest Warriors will continue to be providing opportunities for young Calgarians in our community to participate in hockey in a safe, fair, stimulating, and respectful environment. We will do so while ensuring the connection to our communities and what it means to be a part of Northwest Warriors is known and fostered.

Chief Lee Crowchild and his family have indicated their support for the Northwest Warriors’ continued use of the current logo while the logo is updated and implemented. The timeline for implementation will be guided by the regular replacement of jerseys, likely over 3 years.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #484
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is seriously the most frustrating time to be a goalie parent. The entire process for evaluating goalies at a minor hockey level is horse shirt at best.

I now have to go tell my kid that he was bumped down after posting a shutout in his last eval game and playing very well in his first one all because of the results from their last skills session. (i think)

I really have no idea how things work or are graded and I actually don't think anyone in our association does either, nor cares frankly.

Frustrating.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #485
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a goalie parent but having been through evals for may years for multiple kids, and being somewhat involved in the process I can feel your pain. Evaluating goalies is unlike other positions in many ways and most MHA's have different methods to do it. I think most of the rationale lies in that there are very few people (volunteer evaluators) who truly understand the position and what to look for. Also factor in that during scrimmages a goalie may or may not get a good look based on how the scrimmage goes. How do you compare two goalies, one of whom was shelled all scrimmage while the other only saw a few shots? I think most MHA's have gone to independent evaluators such as World Pro or GDI to do the evaluating form them and they use the skill sessions almost 100% for the grading. What happens during the scrimmages has very little to do with where the goalies are placed, they are essentially finished their evals after the skills and are only playing the scrimmages as a formality. At least that was the impression I got from our Eval group when my son was still playing and I was evaluating.

Doesn't help you at all I know. And it sucks. Actually the entire evaluation process can be the most stressful part of the year.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #486
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evaluations can be stressful. I'm fortunate or lucky in that regard with my son, who made the top team as a first year player and was a shoe in as a second year. Even though I don't have any stress, I still see the stress in the other families. Honestly, it's more the parents that freak out than the kids. I understand because we all want what's best for our kids. And I tell people all the time that it doesn't matter which team they are on as long as they are having fun. But people say that is easy for me to say because my son is a good player. However, I'm more concerned with how he is as a human being than how he is as a hockey player.

Some parents should be careful what they wish for. If your child is a bubble player they are probably better off going down a level. Being one if the top players on a team instead of on the bottom will be a lot more enjoyable for everyone involved.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #487
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey madman - I fully understand your pain as I too am a goalie parent/amateur psychologist.

I will post more on this later, but today my son locked down a spot on the minor midget aaa team he was trying out for. He was able to beat out two returning goalies. Not an easy feat for a goalie to make the jump from community to minor midget at 15.

I cried seeing him come out of the rink with his new team mates. It was absolutely surreal.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #488
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Hey madman - I fully understand your pain as I too am a goalie parent/amateur psychologist.

I will post more on this later, but today my son locked down a spot on the minor midget aaa team he was trying out for. He was able to beat out two returning goalies. Not an easy feat for a goalie to make the jump from community to minor midget at 15.

I cried seeing him come out of the rink with his new team mates. It was absolutely surreal.
Awesome! I actually did the same last year on Northwest (I'm a forward). I played bantam 1 in my second year of bantam and then made minor midget. Just made midget aa today. A goalie did the same this year for Northwest as well. Congrats to him.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #489
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ congrats on continuing your path in quad hockey - it is a tough shift back to community hockey for those that get released from minor midget.

last season my son had a miserable season as he was the last goalie cut from quad, made bantam 1 and was playing great - he then picked up a suspension for 4 games (blockered a player who was pushed onto him in the head), then while he was suspended he cracked a bone in his foot and tried to play thru it but it became too painful, so was then off for most of December then played wll in January, then on Feb 3 he hurt his knee and it ended his season. he was off the ice until mid june and from then on he was very focused on making the quad team.

He beat out two returning goalies and gave up no goals during his three half games in exhibition and two goals during a full pre-season game - where he put in one of the best periods I have ever seen him play.

Given the adversity he faced and his determination and focus I came away from the process very impressed with how he handled it all.

it will be a very interesting hockey season for him both as a person and an athlete.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #490
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

So happy evaluations are over. I had a roller coaster of emotions this weekend.

My son is not an elite player. He does everything ok, but he doesn't have any one skill that is exceptional. Despite this, he's either first or second every year on his team for scoring.

It's his first year in peewee. There's a ton of great skaters now. He doesn't stand out. But I know if they put him on the lowest teams he's not going to grow as a player.

We have 4 levels for evaluations. A through D. D are the players who are still learning to skate, etc. He gets stuck in D. Again. I'm beyond frustrated.

Lucky for me, the kid takes it like a champ. He puts out a great effort at the next skate and gets put into the C group. We have another skate. He starts out slowly, but gets comfortable and finishes well. I'm pretty certain he's done enough to stay in C.

11:30pm Saturday night we still haven't got the email for when he skates on Sunday. I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to check. They've bumped him down to D again.

I stay up the remainder of the night trying to figure out how I'm going to tell him. I got three hours of sleep at most.

Breakfast time, he gets up. I tell him. "Why am I back in D, Dad?" I had no explanation. "It's ok, Dad. I'll show them what I have tonight."

I'm so proud of how he handled the adversity. He went out and was the best player on the ice. Assisted one, scored two more. I don't know what team he will end up on yet, but I know I can count on my kid to make the best of the situation.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #491
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

My son is not an elite player. He does everything ok, but he doesn't have any one skill that is exceptional. Despite this, he's either first or second every year on his team for scoring.

It's his first year in peewee. There's a ton of great skaters now. He doesn't stand out. But I know if they put him on the lowest teams he's not going to grow as a player.

We have 4 levels for evaluations. A through D. D are the players who are still learning to skate, etc. He gets stuck in D. Again. I'm beyond frustrated.

Lucky for me, the kid takes it like a champ. He puts out a great effort at the next skate and gets put into the C group. We have another skate. He starts out slowly, but gets comfortable and finishes well. I'm pretty certain he's done enough to stay in C.

11:30pm Saturday night we still haven't got the email for when he skates on Sunday. I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to check. They've bumped him down to D again.

I stay up the remainder of the night trying to figure out how I'm going to tell him. I got three hours of sleep at most.

Breakfast time, he gets up. I tell him. "Why am I back in D, Dad?" I had no explanation. "It's ok, Dad. I'll show them what I have tonight."

I'm so proud of how he handled the adversity. He went out and was the best player on the ice. Assisted one, scored two more. I don't know what team he will end up on yet, but I know I can count on my kid to make the best of the situation.

My son just started Timbits and I'm already a wreck and evaluations didn't even really matter (they just try and balance the teams), I have no idea what I'm going to do when he's older.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #492
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

I always like to remind kids that be playing organized hockey, at any level, they are already part of a very small & lucky minority in this city/province/country.

Good on your son. That approach will treat him well in life.

This was our first year in a big associations (13 PeeWee teams, WTF).

My son just changed from 4 years of playing goal to a player. He hadn't skated all summer, went to the first skate after his first day of school in a "new" city. He was pretty emotional and pooped the bed, landed in group 13. He worked his way back up to group 8 and that is where he stopped, and to be honest is about right for him.

I honestly always try to be calm during evaluations/try outs.

At the end of the day it is kids just paying a sport they like.

I hope your boy has a fun and enjoyable season Habernac.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #493
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it is very frustrating during evaluations to watch the "rico fata" types move up and sometimes the kids who have more general hockey IQ move down because they don't look flashy when skating.

I recall evaluating players one year when our association played half ice games and at the 10 minute mark fi the first game I got chatting with one of the other evaluators and we quickly compared notes and the guy he had at the bottom of his list was a guy I had closer to the top of my list - but otherwise we were pretty similar for the remaining guys we were watching. I defended my postion by noting I thought the guy in question was going tot eh right spot, just nobody was getting him the puck so it might appear eh was doing mothering. After the last 10 minutes he told me he changed his mind of the guy as he saw what I was seeing.

I should note that there are likely many times where I had the worst guy at the top of my chart - but this story is more an example of how different folks see the game differently and if enough of them see a guy as a D player rather than a C player then unfortunately he gets moved down.

I sometime wish I could go into the evaluation/tryout process knowing that my son was one of the top or bottom players so I would not stress as much about where he ultimately lands because he is clearly at one extreme
Old 09-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #494
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
My son just started Timbits and I'm already a wreck and evaluations didn't even really matter (they just try and balance the teams), I have no idea what I'm going to do when he's older.
Check out the PX3 AMP program at Winsport.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #495
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Yeah this is disappointing to hear for me as well. My son is 14 and plays Bantam travel hockey here in the USA Hockey program. I am continually disappointed to see how many coaches (including our own) really coach to win, handing out ice time based purely on skill.

I just can't get over how deeply people care about the final result of a kids hockey game. I am not advocating medals fro everyone but the emphasis needs to be on skill development across the baord.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #496
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northenndzone - that's what it comes down to for my kid. He's got a terrific sense of where he needs to be on the ice. You can be the greatest skater on the planet, but if you don't know where to be....

Update: The kid's hard work paid off. He avoided the bottom two teams, got on a team with a bunch of his friends. Should be a good year!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #497
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah this is disappointing to hear for me as well. My son is 14 and plays Bantam travel hockey here in the USA Hockey program. I am continually disappointed to see how many coaches (including our own) really coach to win, handing out ice time based purely on skill.

I just can't get over how deeply people care about the final result of a kids hockey game. I am not advocating medals fro everyone but the emphasis needs to be on skill development across the baord.
Some people are ####ing idiots.

Quote:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #498
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Some people are ####ing idiots.
Not sure how USA hockey works but for example, in Calgary if you play quadrant, you should expect that teams are going to ride their players. If you want "fairness for all" play house league.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #499
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

First, congratulations to your son Northendzone. Hopefully he has a great season and it is nice to see his hard work pay off.

Reading the posts about evaluations has given me a few thoughts to put down here:

Regarding goalies:
Typically when a MHA contracts out their goalie evaluation to an outside source it is to a group like GDI or World Pro. Seems logical and is probably a good idea. Many kids who play goal also use these groups for training and they are well known. But I have heard that they all have their own subtle differences in what they teach or how they teach it and naturally will notice those things when they evaluate the goalies. So there may some bias towards a goalie who has trained with them vs. goalies who have not because those kids will play the way they are 'supposed' to.

Regarding skater evaluations:
It is just a fact it seems that the 'flashy' players are the ones that get noticed and the solid yet steady ones can blend into the background despite playing a solid game. Human nature for most volunteer evaluators to see the game like this in general. My kids have never been the flashy types, they play a steady dependable game but I'm under no illusion they are the most skilled players on the ice. When it comes to Evals each year I tell them that sometimes you have to be a little selfish and perhaps play like you normally would not. Something to get noticed. Once teams are formed they can go back to their 'normal' game.

As a parent I hate this time of year and yeah I probably get worked up more than I should. But remember these two things:

1. most evaluators are volunteers and are not malicious. They may not see things quite the same way you do but if there are enough of them everything should balance out in the end. They are just marking things the way they see them and we all see the game differently.

2. for the most part the MHA's get it right and kids are placed on the correct team for their skill level. That said most kids could probably play on the teams directly above or below them and fit in just fine as well. From top to bottom there are certainly differences but across one team or within a close range of players the differences generally are pretty small.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #500
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Not sure how USA hockey works but for example, in Calgary if you play quadrant, you should expect that teams are going to ride their players. If you want "fairness for all" play house league.
Lazy coaching.

Granted I have never coached at AA or AAA level, but I have plenty of good friends that have. I know plenty of coaches that roll lines. In the words of one of them "if they are good enough to be on the team the are good enough to play in all situations".

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: