Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #421
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enough about Brouwer. What about the other veteran forwards for both games?

How did they all look and how was their play??
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #422
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
To each their own but I honestly thought today would be about Dube, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Kylington and Valimaki from the Saddledome game.

And those that saw the Edmonton game would be discussing changes in Bennett, Poirier's step, and how Kulak has looked with Stone thus far.

Didn't see "I guess our goaltending is going to suck this year" and "see told you Brouwer sucks!" as the two basic topics beside "how boring the NHL is now".
You're right, it should be about the young guys. Dube and Jankowski stood out for me. Kylington on the back end, and of course Gillies in between the pipes. Can't speak to the Edmonton game. There was a lot to be excited about from the young guys, but here is the cold harsh reality on that. Two, maybe three of them, will get a chance with the Flames this year. That kind of sucks, especially when you see some of the problems from last year still front and center. It isn't fair to the kids, but that's the reality of the Calgary Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #423
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The guy is getting $4.5 million/season for three more years. He's not going anywhere so maybe we should at least wait until the regular season to start beating this horse. He's the new Wideman and as we saw with that contract that you simply have to accept he's not going anywhere and move on as no team will trade for that contract and maybe, just maybe the team is in a position to buy him out of the last year of the deal. In the mean time we have to simply hope he has a better season as last season was a career low and most players play better in their second season with a new team so things do point to him being better (by how much is anyone's guess). Nobody is going to remember how he performed in the preseason as it simply doesn't count as anything other than practice.
Solution:
LTIR, Leafs style!
"Sorry, Troy, we'd love to have you back in the line up, but the doctors won't let us. Go grab a beer with Lupul and Hossa."
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #424
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Solution:
"Sorry, Troy, we'd love to have you back in the line up, but the doctors won't let us. Go grab a beer with Lupul and Hossa."

Don't want that to happen at all and it shouldn't be this funny but that really made me lol.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #425
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKIE SAYS View Post
R-e-l-a-x
quoted for truth
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #426
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

To be fair, I was quoting Aaron Rodgers rather than Frankie Goes to Hollywood but the message is the same. Some folks need to chill.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #427
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was at the game also. Given it was the first taste of live hockey since the playoffs it was tough not to puck watch, especially in the first period. Only one game so everything should be judged as such, especially with the vets who usually coast through these games. Just my opinions.

Valimaki - A bit different of a view than others, as I thought he struggled last night. To me, he looked like an 18-year-old at his first training camp and in his first pre-season game. He looks bigger than I expected, but some poor gaps and decisions stood out, and he went to the bench visibly frustrated with himself a couple times. On the other hand, he is really composed with the puck and with opposition in pursuit - rarely panics. Also, he is clearly pass-first instead of defaulting to punting which is a good sign for the future. Enjoyed his interview though - seems like a great personality.

Kylington - As has been said countless times, and will continue to be said going forward, the kid's skating is unbelievable. He really reminds me of Nick Leddy in that regard. I would describe his decision making as erratic, though...especially with the puck. Not necessarily a bad thing as opponents have no idea what he's going to do, but he does get himself into trouble with ill-advised low percentage choices. Defensive zone position is also unpredictable. Huge tools, hopefully he can put it all together.

Dube - Really stood out for all the right reasons. Good forechecking angles, was hustling all over the ice, came down low to help his defencemen when needed and led many clean breakouts. Likely goes back to junior but he's been impressive. Looking forward to him at World Juniors. Good two-way potential.

Hathaway - Like every game he's ever played in (probably), Hathaway was all over the ice with his non-stop motor. The kid has tremendous work rate regardless of the zone or game situation, and is always looking to disrupt a play or hit an opponent (but doesn't go out of position to do so). Little to no offensive ability, obviously. I think he starts the year with the big club on the fourth line. Model professional.

Jankowski - I was impressed with Jankowski. His size and reach are both obvious from the moment he steps onto the ice, and his skating is terrific for someone his height and age. You always hear some fans frustrated that bigger players (Hamilton, Hayes, Colborne, etc) aren't physical even though they are so tall, and Jankowsi will likely have that same odd complain attached to him regardless of his other play. Exhibited good vision and creativity on a few plays/passes. His cycle game will only get better, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it this season, but if not, he is going to slaughter the AHL and be called-up sooner rather than later.

As mentioned above, I don't expect much from the vets, but regardless: I thought Gio and Brodie had poor games - in Brodie's case almost from trying to do too much himself. Versteeg appeared to put in the best effort of the vets but didn't have much luck creating. Brouwer looked like the 'Dome was the last place he wanted to be - shower optional after that one. Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan all looked good already which will be huge for the start of the season compared to last year. Unfortunately I didn't notice Hamonic aside from a couple breakout passes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I'll look harder tomorrow if he plays. Backlund was amazing without the puck as always which doesn't always stand out especially when puck watching - his stick is almost always in perfect position and his angles on the forecheck and in the neutral zone really funnel opponents.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 09-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #428
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with Hathaway and have been pretty vocal about my love for the guy. I'm probably seeing what I want to see but he really stood out for me last night. Hes big and uses his body, he's fast, he gets the puck going away from his own goalie more often than not, always hustles. Reminds me of a more complete bouwma from when he first came on the team. Probably means he will flame out like bouma but i have no idea how this guy wasn't a regular all last year
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #429
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Interesting assessment above, I thought Versteeg looked lazy and disinterested. Also didn't think Jankowski was very good. Agree that Gio and Brodie struggled, particularly Gio. Hamilton was the best d man on the ice. Monahan, Gaudreau and Ferland were dominant and creating every shift which is a great sign. Backs and Frolik were steady but missed their spark plug Tkachuk.

Overall was a pretty bad game. Sloppy, lots of penalties, giveaways. To be expected though and I thoroughly enjoyed it anyways.

And of course, to cap it all off, the Flames would have won with average goaltending. I can't believe I'm saying that again! Gillies looked great when he was in.

Oh, and the Oilers D were just terrible. Horrible decisions all night. Their goalies played great however. Up front Caggiula may have been the best forward for either side, and I thought Lucic looked good.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #430
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

You didn't think Jankowski was very good?

Strange, I thought he was a stand out. Looked noticeable every shift to me and hit 2 posts before scoring.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #431
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jankowski was the best rookie in the game. After Gaudreau and Valimaki the big jankowski impressed me the most.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #432
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really like Oliver Kylington. I think he'll be on our bottom pairing in '18/'19
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #433
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jankowski had a goal and a couple posts if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how that wasn't standing out. He looks like an above-average sized NHLer out there.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #434
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Jankowski was the best rookie in the game. After Gaudreau and Valimaki the big jankowski impressed me the most.

So was Jankowski the best rookie or was Valimaki?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #435
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
So was Jankowski the best rookie or was Valimaki?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes!
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #436
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Was at the game also. Given it was the first taste of live hockey since the playoffs it was tough not to puck watch, especially in the first period. Only one game so everything should be judged as such, especially with the vets who usually coast through these games. Just my opinions.

Valimaki - A bit different of a view than others, as I thought he struggled last night. To me, he looked like an 18-year-old at his first training camp and in his first pre-season game. He looks bigger than I expected, but some poor gaps and decisions stood out, and he went to the bench visibly frustrated with himself a couple times. On the other hand, he is really composed with the puck and with opposition in pursuit - rarely panics. Also, he is clearly pass-first instead of defaulting to punting which is a good sign for the future. Enjoyed his interview though - seems like a great personality.

Kylington - As has been said countless times, and will continue to be said going forward, the kid's skating is unbelievable. He really reminds me of Nick Leddy in that regard. I would describe his decision making as erratic, though...especially with the puck. Not necessarily a bad thing as opponents have no idea what he's going to do, but he does get himself into trouble with ill-advised low percentage choices. Defensive zone position is also unpredictable. Huge tools, hopefully he can put it all together.

Dube - Really stood out for all the right reasons. Good forechecking angles, was hustling all over the ice, came down low to help his defencemen when needed and led many clean breakouts. Likely goes back to junior but he's been impressive. Looking forward to him at World Juniors. Good two-way potential.

Hathaway - Like every game he's ever played in (probably), Hathaway was all over the ice with his non-stop motor. The kid has tremendous work rate regardless of the zone or game situation, and is always looking to disrupt a play or hit an opponent (but doesn't go out of position to do so). Little to no offensive ability, obviously. I think he starts the year with the big club on the fourth line. Model professional.

Jankowski - I was impressed with Jankowski. His size and reach are both obvious from the moment he steps onto the ice, and his skating is terrific for someone his height and age. You always hear some fans frustrated that bigger players (Hamilton, Hayes, Colborne, etc) aren't physical even though they are so tall, and Jankowsi will likely have that same odd complain attached to him regardless of his other play. Exhibited good vision and creativity on a few plays/passes. His cycle game will only get better, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it this season, but if not, he is going to slaughter the AHL and be called-up sooner rather than later.

As mentioned above, I don't expect much from the vets, but regardless: I thought Gio and Brodie had poor games - in Brodie's case almost from trying to do too much himself. Versteeg appeared to put in the best effort of the vets but didn't have much luck creating. Brouwer looked like the 'Dome was the last place he wanted to be - shower optional after that one. Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan all looked good already which will be huge for the start of the season compared to last year. Unfortunately I didn't notice Hamonic aside from a couple breakout passes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I'll look harder tomorrow if he plays. Backlund was amazing without the puck as always which doesn't always stand out especially when puck watching - his stick is almost always in perfect position and his angles on the forecheck and in the neutral zone really funnel opponents.
I would agree. Valimaki certainly did not look ready for NHL just yet. Struggled out there with the speed of the game. Needs to put a bit more weight on that frame to compete better on the boards.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #437
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree too. He looked good at times, and shaky at other times. Wasn't it him who lost his man on one of the goals?

Then again, there were a few d-men that had tough nights....

Last edited by Sandman; 09-19-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #438
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki cost at least one goal
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #439
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Enough about Brouwer. What about the other veteran forwards for both games?

How did they all look and how was their play??
Doesn't really matter. These are just warmup games for them.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #440
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski had a slow first half where nothing much happen for him to stand out (positive or negative). In the second half he got his chances in the offensive zone. He should be the 4th line center to start the season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote