Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
His play in camp has been good and based on that alone he has earned a spot so far. I would just rather see that spot on the roster go to someone with more upside. Everyone knows what Glass brings and it can have value sometimes... it's just that more games will require skill rather than face-punching to win. I would rather have someone like Iginla or Jagr for $2-3 million than Glass for $700,000.

Or if those guys truly aren't interested in coming here then I would rather the spot go to someone like Poirer or Foo to see what they can bring to the team.

I remember a certain large, bruising defenseman last year making some big impressive hits in preseason games but most of us still knew he would be a weak link on the roster. But since he had a physical training camp he was there on opening night... and it was a disaster.

The simple answer is that Glass has earned a spot so far... but I would rather he not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass isnt taking a spot from Iginla or Jagr or Foo or Porier. He is/would be taking a spot from Freddie Hamilton or Garnet Hathaway at worst...and that spot more often or not is about 80' above the ice surface.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #22
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Glass isnt taking a spot from Iginla or Jagr or Foo or Porier. He is/would be taking a spot from Freddie Hamilton or Garnet Hathaway at worst...and that spot more often or not is about 80' above the ice surface.
That assumes you subscribe to the thinking you can't put good players on the fourth line. I don't subscribe to that thinking.

We have room for one player on the active roster. Jankowski has earned a spot. Klimchuk is on his way to earning a spot. There are better options in free agency.

Sure. If Glass is brought on as the 13 forward that is fine. But I don't know if he warms a seat better then Hathaway or Hamilton. Plus, veterans are generally able to find a way onto the roster. It's a human game with human coaches and Glass is that "character guy" who will "earn" a spot. We don't need Grossman 2.0. And we already have Stajan and Brouwer monopolizing the bottom 6 veteran spots.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #23
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
That assumes you subscribe to the thinking you can't put good players on the fourth line. I don't subscribe to that thinking.

We have room for one player on the active roster. Jankowski has earned a spot. Klimchuk is on his way to earning a spot. There are better options in free agency.

Sure. If Glass is brought on as the 13 forward that is fine. But I don't know if he warms a seat better then Hathaway or Hamilton. Plus, veterans are generally able to find a way onto the roster. It's a human game with human coaches and Glass is that "character guy" who will "earn" a spot. We don't need Grossman 2.0. And we already have Stajan and Brouwer monopolizing the bottom 6 veteran spots.

But the 13 and 14th forward spots are guys that sit upstairs much more often than not. Regardless of what your 4th line consists of, you arent holding out dynamic offensive guys as replacements for others.

Guys like Foo, porier, even Iginla and Jagr are not guys that will be sitting upstairs, they are guys that need to be playing. Particularly the young guys, there is no development when they aren't playing, and the older guys are both not going to agree to play once a week or whatever it breaks down to.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #24
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But the 13 and 14th forward spots are guys that sit upstairs much more often than not. Regardless of what your 4th line consists of, you arent holding out dynamic offensive guys as replacements for others.

Guys like Foo, porier, even Iginla and Jagr are not guys that will be sitting upstairs, they are guys that need to be playing. Particularly the young guys, there is no development when they aren't playing, and the older guys are both not going to agree to play once a week or whatever it breaks down to.
I understand that. But we have guys plenty qualified to sit in the press box without burning a contract. If they sign him it's to play him at least semi regular. The theory that a veteran has been signed for the press box is almost never true. And I don't want to burn one of our top 12 spots on a 33 year old with limited hockey ability.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

No, I don't think so.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #26
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Glad some people agree with me on this, think he fills a need.
Also think he's the right guy to spend significant time in the press box and only come in against certain teams, veteran guy that's prepared for this.
I'll trust the GM though either way
I would agree. Ideal 13th or 14th forward nearing twilight of NHL career. Comes in when we need muscle. Plays 30 games whixh he can manage for his age. Our tweeners will develop better in AHL than pressbox.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
14, JT45
Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #27
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that. But we have guys plenty qualified to sit in the press box without burning a contract. If they sign him it's to play him at least semi regular. The theory that a veteran has been signed for the press box is almost never true. And I don't want to burn one of our top 12 spots on a 33 year old with limited hockey ability.
That's the thing though...you're not.

He would be taking the spot of the 13 or 14th guy..IE Hathaway or Hamilton at this point. Glass has a skill that niether of those do, or at least not as well as Glass.

Im not advocating they sign him and play him over guys like Porier/Foo, as that's an obvious apples to oranges replacement..only that he gets a spot over the other guys because he has both earned it (thus far) and again has that ability we lost with Engelland.

Sign Glass and send F. Hamilton to Stockton...that doesnt prevent anyone from getting a shot with the club as a skill forward, nor does it cost the club a whole lot.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #28
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glass has been better than any of his competitors for a 4th line winger or extra, up to this point,IMO.

Let's see how it plays out.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #29
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It depends on Lomberg, play them both in the next couple of games and see who is better
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #30
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If the club is rewarding players based on performance, then he should get a deal without question. Sign him to a 650K 1 year deal and send down F. Hamilton.

He also fills a real need on this club with the loss of Engelland.
We need Freddie Hamilton as 1C or 2C in Stockton to support our developing wingers. Janko will be missed in Stockton.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #31
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I think he's earned a contract...on another team.

I prefer Hathaway get that spot.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope. 33 year old no talent 4th liner? Why?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's the thing though...you're not.

He would be taking the spot of the 13 or 14th guy..IE Hathaway or Hamilton at this point. Glass has a skill that niether of those do, or at least not as well as Glass.

Im not advocating they sign him and play him over guys like Porier/Foo, as that's an obvious apples to oranges replacement..only that he gets a spot over the other guys because he has both earned it (thus far) and again has that ability we lost with Engelland.

Sign Glass and send F. Hamilton to Stockton...that doesnt prevent anyone from getting a shot with the club as a skill forward, nor does it cost the club a whole lot.
Your posts aren't in French. I get it. But he isn't going to be signed as the 13th forward.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Your posts aren't in French. I get it. But he isn't going to be signed as the 13th forward.
Why not?

What else is he going to do?
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #35
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why not?

Go home?

Glass has been fine but a 2 or 3 game sample should get him a spot over our home grown guys? Hathaway is a much better option.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #36
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why not?

When has an NHL ever signed a veteran like Glass to sit in the press box? They don't. Because you don't sign a character guy to sit the press box.
Because there are plenty of guys already under contract that can sit the press box. I will say it again, though you will probably ignore it again. If they sign Glass it is with the expectation he plays. And I don't want him to play.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #37
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. He's done more than lots of our other fringe players. I'd be on-board with a 1 year deal.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #38
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glass has been one of the worst players in the league for the past 5 years.

Some flukey playoff run and a couple of decent pre-season games doesn't weigh over 5 years of having a Corsi in the low 40s. The guys highest Corsi in a year he played more than 11 games is 43%. For reference - Troy Brouwer had the worst Corsi on the Flames last year at 44.4%. So Troy Brouwer last year was better than Glass has ever been in his career.

He's either god awful or he's magically became a NHL player at 34.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...glassta01.html
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #39
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope not, but he probably will.

A decent playoff run and a couple good preseason games against bad teams isn't enough to convince me he's suddenly not awful at 33 years old.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #40
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a pretty large sample size out there that suggests that Glass is likely no better than a 4th line/depth AHLer that this point, regardless of how much some people might have liked his last 2 preseason games. He will be Grossman v2.0 almost instantly and the fans new whipping boy from puck drop of game 1 if he somehow manages a contract and a spot on the big team.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post: