Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #141
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Bet Bennett does not hit 40 pts this season ?

A few months ago you said that Bennett was going to break out this season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
I think Bennett breaks out this season in a big way.

Which is it? For your own sake, I hope you're trolling.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #142
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flamenfame is the same guy who was having an absolute melt-down over the goaltending in the first 30 minutes of the first pre-season game.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #143
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Derailing the Thread, but damn does Bennett look f***ing awesome with that beard. He should sport the beard as long as he does well with it.
May he never need to shave again.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #144
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Flamenfame is the same guy who was having an absolute melt-down over the goaltending in the first 30 minutes of the first pre-season game.

That doesn't narrow it down much LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #145
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a single reason why he shouldn't make the team?
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #146
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Is there a single reason why he shouldn't make the team?
Not a good one from where I'm standing!

The existing presence of experienced depth at his position?

Also he's still an unknown against NHL competition, and coaches (including Gully) tend to err on the side of the monsters they know.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 AM   #147
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

There's going to have to be the delicate handling of Matt Stajan's position.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
There's going to have to be the delicate handling of Matt Stajan's position.
Meh. I think Stajan will be a team guy like always. I also think there's very little chance he gets demoted to AHL. I think he will play on the fourth line as always, and if Jankowski is on that line they will both get C time. Stajan is a better NHL faceoff man, I suspect, even though Jankowski's done okay in preseason (except against the Canucks where he was dreadful in the circle).

I actually think Stajan should be open to playing wing - it can extend his career to play a position where his skating isn't as much of an issue and he doesn't have the defensive responsibilities. I think he's got a little more offence than people realize but has had to worry about covering for guys like Bollig that he's been saddled with. Last year he had a really decent year when he generally had good role player line mates like Hathaway or Hamilton who don't get trapped in their own end as much.

ETA: Unless of course, his physical ability falls off of a cliff as is always a possibility at his age. But he will start the season on the roster.

Last edited by GioforPM; 09-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #149
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the argument is any longer whether Jankowski should make the Flames, but what role should he be cast? I think it is a waste to park him on the 4th line and give him limited minutes. He's showing he can play in all situations and contribute all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, in full uniform, selling popcorn in between periods the next game. This is how much the coaching staff have tested him, and how well he has responded. If you're looking for a kid that is stepping up and pushing veterans out of their spots, look at Jankowski. He's doing it all and doing it quietly.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't think the argument is any longer whether Jankowski should make the Flames, but what role should he be cast? I think it is a waste to park him on the 4th line and give him limited minutes. He's showing he can play in all situations and contribute all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, in full uniform, selling popcorn in between periods the next game. This is how much the coaching staff have tested him, and how well he has responded. If you're looking for a kid that is stepping up and pushing veterans out of their spots, look at Jankowski. He's doing it all and doing it quietly.
He's been fine in the games he's been in, but the competition has been sub-par. I don't mind easing him in when he plays the real opposition.

If he's going to play centre it's going to be 4th line though. I don't see Bennett being put onto a wing after his camp. So it's either a winger spot with Bennett or Backlund or a centre/wing with the bottom line.

And man, if you have assume your top forwards lines are made up of Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Backlund, Tkachuk, Frolik, Bennett, Versteeg and someone else, a bottom line chosen from Jankowski, Lazar, Brouwer, Hathaway, Hamilton and Stajan is pretty good and not your usual limited minute group.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #151
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd really like to see the coaches try Brouwer out on the Backlund/Frolik line. I love the 3M line like everyone else, but it seems possible that with Brouwer coming into camp in better shape this year and trying him out on a line where everyone seems to succeed could assist with a career resurgence for him and allow the Flames to compose a balanced line up.

As for Jankowski, a line with him and Stajan and mixing in whoever is favored at the moment out of Lazar, Hamilton and Hathaway could be a line that is responsible defensively and has enough talent on it to play like a regular line and not just be dumping the puck in and trying to play even.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Jankowski - Lazar/Hathaway
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #152
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I'd really like to see the coaches try Brouwer out on the Backlund/Frolik line.
Not a bad idea... if anyone needs a Backlund bump, it's Brouwer. Maybe Backlund can teach him how to play with passion.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #153
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

My initial thought is that I dislike the idea of Brouwer bringing down the Backlund/Frolik duo as they've been a key line for this team, but the reality is that Brouwer will be bringing down anybody. Might as well have our strongest pair be able to cover for that.

Alternatively, having Tkachuk and Brouwer would be nice. You know Tkachuk is going to get himself into some scrums and Brouwer will have to follow up on his younger linemate. Maybe you add Bennett in to keep up the skill and snarl on that line. Let Jankowski get his teeth sunk in an all rounder role with Backlund.

Would be shocked if we didn't see a bunch of line changes over this season unless we end up with another 3M quality performance.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #154
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
My initial thought is that I dislike the idea of Brouwer bringing down the Backlund/Frolik duo as they've been a key line for this team, but the reality is that Brouwer will be bringing down anybody. Might as well have our strongest pair be able to cover for that...
I get that people are expecting this to occur based on Brouwer's gawd-awful year, but I think it is entirely unrealistic to believe that he will not improve over his worst ever professional season.

I think whatever line ends up featuring Brouwer will be fine in the long run. He is nowhere near as bad a player as he performed last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #155
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I get that people are expecting this to occur based on Brouwer's gawd-awful year, but I think it is entirely unrealistic to believe that he will not improve over his worst ever professional season.

I think whatever line ends up featuring Brouwer will be fine in the long run. He is nowhere near as bad a player as he performed last year.
It's still realistic to hold the belief that Brouwer will both be the weak link in his line and be a better player than last year. Even with last year as a complete anomaly, I can't imagine his improvement this season being anything more than a 35pts~ performance.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #156
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's still realistic to hold the belief that Brouwer will both be the weak link in his line and be a better player than last year. Even with last year as a complete anomaly, I can't imagine his improvement this season being anything more than a 35pts~ performance.
Totally depends on his linemates and time on the power play, but I think 40+ pts is a reasonable expectation.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #157
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would make him an average to above average 3rd liner.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #158
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'd really like to see the coaches try Brouwer out on the Backlund/Frolik line. I love the 3M line like everyone else, but it seems possible that with Brouwer coming into camp in better shape this year and trying him out on a line where everyone seems to succeed could assist with a career resurgence for him and allow the Flames to compose a balanced line up.

As for Jankowski, a line with him and Stajan and mixing in whoever is favored at the moment out of Lazar, Hamilton and Hathaway could be a line that is responsible defensively and has enough talent on it to play like a regular line and not just be dumping the puck in and trying to play even.

I want Tkachuk on the second line this year, the man is a star
FlameyMcFlameFace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #159
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
This should count as a good season for Brouwer, and should for no good reason draw the ire of fans.

Quote:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #160
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan2.0 View Post
I want Tkachuk on the second line this year, the man is a star
The Flames "second line" features these six players.

I really don't think there will be much difference in the distribution of ice time between them. I expect Backlund's line to continue to get the lion's share of difficult matchups, which should free the other second line to benefit from more offensive zone starts and weaker defence pairings.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: