Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #21
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a a winger who can score some goals. Cost in mind.
I want Hoffman.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #22
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Should have traded Brodie for Hall last year
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #23
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
These are huge price-tag left shooting left wingers.
Yes I fully expect it to cost something to go from first round fodder to a potential contender. I fully support going all in on this team with everything it has going for it. Why continue being average when the market has our answers.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The winger market is crowded, I think we could get a really get a good one at a low price.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two things:

- The team needs to add a winger. GG double shifting JG and MT on the 3rd line lately tells me that he is telling management that this is a area of need as Hathaway and Brouwer are better suited for the 4th line.

- I agree with the sentiments above that acquiring a good cheap depth dman would be good as I don't really think Bartkowski is NHL calibre
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With the Flames short on draft picks, I'm thinking that they won't want to mortgage even more of their future by moving prospects that they value.

I can see Treliving nibbling around the edge in terms of a guy like Hoffman, but in the end, I think he'll try to grab a depth winger and a depth defenseman and probably look at Versteeg as a aquisition. He'll probably also try to move a Brouwer type contract if he can.

I think this is going to be a pretty quiet deadline.

Frankly I believe that the action will be up North.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMother View Post
Yes I fully expect it to cost something to go from first round fodder to a potential contender. I fully support going all in on this team with everything it has going for it. Why continue being average when the market has our answers.
I'm not questioning your opinion on going all in.

But paying that price to upgrade RW (biggest area of need) with a player the wrong hand / position is what seemed odd.

We're extremely deep at left wing and have a plethora of left handed shots.

If we were to pay an exorbitant price (people can debate the pros and cons of that) I don't see it being wise to do so unless it's the actual fit we need.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Prices are very high. Treliving has said as much in the last few days when interviewed .
Other teams are in the same predicament and The right deal (process) has to unfold without complicating things.

I wonder what things Treliving could be working on because we have just called up help this year and it's worked.
Rittich
Kulak
Lomberg
Hathaway
Jankowski
Gillies
Mangiapane have all spent time up instead of Brad making a move.

I think he will stand Pat and not do anything otherwise he'd have done it already. Prices are high as mentioned before and unless they think Versteeg isn't the answer who knows what'll happen.

I thought we were in win now mode but something doesn't seem quite right as we still aren't scoring.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, there is really no scoring winger in the system that I can see. So will have to get one at some point, question is when will the price be reasonable. The sooner you get one, the more valuable he is to you.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #30
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Evander Kane for cheap, he only has 4pts in his last 20 games and past issues are going to scare GM's off in a BIG way.Swoop in and pick him up,the playoff run will rejuvenate him and he will lead us to the Stanley cup Final.Dont be afraid Brad he has matured and I feel like we have a very close knit group to put him in his place if he were to get out of hand in the future.Sign him to a sweatheart deal at the end of the year he is the missing piece to this group of forwards.Guys like Gallagher are going to cost way too much, I really think you will be able to get Kane for a bucket of pucks in the end.
CanucksWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We should stand pat. When everything is clicking we have a very solid team. This isnt the year to go all in. Next season or the season after we go all in.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #32
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stand pat, maybe add a depth forward but no point giving up assets right now. The big name guys can come in the offseason.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be fine with something minor to tweak the bottom 6.

But I'd prefer to keep the cupboards as stocked as possible and save that ammo for a push at next year's deadline (or the draft) when we are hopefully closer to an elite level team.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #34
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Two things:

- GG double shifting JG and MT on the 3rd line lately tells me that he is telling management that this is a area of need
Tkachuk, I think you'll find, is being used on the 3rd line mostly when they get the first shift after a penalty expires. Since he is rested at such times, and Backlund and Frolik are not, this is a sensible thing to do.

I agree that RW is an area of need, mind you. But it's not a need that you're likely to fill on the current market. Of the top 20 players on TSN's Trade Bait list (as of today), 11 are LW or C/LW and not one is a RW. The only RW on the list are Shaw, Nyquist, Comeau, and Bobby Ryan. At $7.25m for 4 more years Ryan is a non-starter, and Comeau isn't the answer to any of the Flames' problems. If you want to fill that hole at the deadline, you're buying in a very tight seller's market.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Hopefully a Backlund extension
And if not...he must be traded, regardless of playoff aspirations/position.

He simple cannot walk for nothing July 1. That would set this club back more than losing him in a trade.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Depth forwards. I'd see if Stempniak and Ryan are available from Carolina.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #37
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im all about Grabner for a rental. Fast as hell and great hands.
For a hockey trade though i could see us and the leafs doing business again; TJ for Marner or TJ for JVR.
Would love either of those.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #38
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I have no problem if they do nothing at the deadline BUT I'd like Treliving to try and grab a top 6 RW if he finds a deal that makes sense. I think Bartkowski and Anderson can slot in on D for a game here or a game there during a playoff run. I don't think we have a player that really slots in well at RW and I think Treliving could get one for prospects or prospects and a roster player. I suppose it may depend on how they see Versteeg fitting back into the lineup.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #39
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'd like to get a 1st round pick.
Why? I think it's clear that the Flames have moved past that point.

I don't want them to trade their 2019 1st, but I don't think selling players for draft picks is a good idea either. The Flames are at the stage where they have to start leveraging their future to win now. That doesn't necessarily mean selling the farm, but we've stockpiled some really good assets and if we have to let one or two go for an upgrade that helps the team for the next 3 or 4 years I think they will do it.

Not every prospect will pan out, and even if they do there's not room for every one of them.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #40
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well managed teams use the trade deadline to sell high on players they no longer want and otherwise hard to move. Rentals are expensive and should only be acquired for a true cup run. Players that could be moved include Brouwer frolik stajan and younger guys the team is moving on from Gilles?no rental this year
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline