Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck, Jagr and Calgaryboy

Many of us that know Calgaryboy (the Flames biggest fan in CZ) knew that this year would be perfect for him to visit. Jagr, a god to the Czechs, was playing for Calgary, and it would be his last season! Perfect.

Sadly Calgaryboy made it clear there was no extra money in the budget; a trip to Calgary this season was at 0% chance.

Starting with Cali Panthers fan, who said if there was a go fund me, he would kick in $100 to get Petr here. Well, the thought of a Go fund me horrified Petr (calgaryboy) he felt, and I agreed, that that sort of thing was for emergencies.

After his post saying "thanks but no thanks" to that sort of help; I started getting PM's. If you do not know I hosted Petr on his first visit to Calgary years ago. There is a large thread on that topic somewhere.

Locke and Killer_Carlsson PM'd saying we should make this trip happen.

I am not a rich fellow, at all; if I was I would have just paid for Petr to come over. I would do anything for my friends. What I did instead was reach out to 20 or so friends on CP. I know them from CP slopitch, CP live drafts, Buy and sell, etc. I asked if they would be interested in helping out in bringing Petr over to see Jagr in his swan song season as a Calgary Flame.

The result was awesome. Within 12 hours, I had a ticket to every game for Petr (I had previously asked Petr what home stand this season would be his favourite to see) and about half a plane ticket. Locke made some calls to some contacts on CP also and after 24 hours we almost had the plane ticket.

I will pick Petr up at the airport, house him, feed him, and take him around where ever he needs to go.

Telling Petr was a joy. However Petr and his wife were very against this whole plan. They did not feel it was right to have other people pay for his trip. He was uncomfortable. His wife was adamant that this was wrong. It took several conversations with Furnaceface and myself to convince him. Basically I told him It's done, we are doing this, get on board.

People did not put up money they did not want to. It was a large group effort. It was fun to do, and always nice to help out a friend.

Locke is handling all the financial details, apparently he is CP's #1 accountant in a poll taken at his house. Also as he will tell you often and happily...Aeneas is just not that smart.

Locke returns from holidays today, if there is someone out there that feels they really need to contribute you can PM him. I think we have managed to cover the trip already, or very close to it.

I had to turn away offers of tickets, the demand to help was so great. To be clear I also turned down ticket offers for myself; all I want out of this to to make a good friend happy. I will drive him and others to the games, I feel no need to attend.

Petr will arrive Friday March 9th (assuming we get the ticket we want) and depart March 22. He will see 4 home games and there will also be 2 away games that we will endeavour to fill a pub for!

On March 10th (Saturday) I will host a gathering at my home (already way too many CPers know where I live, alas) where we will feast on Central European cuisine. I will make food from Moravia(CZech), Slovakia, Hungary, and Germany. I am sure I will have a costly visit to Hack n Lube's Beer vault! Love that place. A fridge full of Golden Pheasant beer!

We will invite all the people that helped out, plus anyone that met Petr in the past, or wants to meet him now.

The away games on 18,19 March we will choose locations later. Suggestions welcome.

For the March 21st game we will do something special. Rhettzky has generously given us 4 tickets for that game. One for Calgaryboy and 3 for anyone on CP who wants to bid for them. Locke's idea (or Rhettzky's It's been a bit of a blur) is we could use that money for the plane ticket, or if it's already covered then for the food and beer for the welcome party.

More details to follow of course. If you have financial questions PM Locke.

I would like to thank all the people who have helped out. It really is quite a great community. I will publicly thank everyone, but I want to check and make sure they want me too.

Petr has been dying to express his astonished thanks, and he may now be asleep as he was up at 0130 for the Nashville game, and will wake up for the game tonight also.

I want to make it doubly clear. Calgaryboy was shocked at this offer. Stunned. And very against the idea. But we insisted. It took some time for him to accept, he was, and still is, uncomfortable.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 275 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
#22, 300 MPH Blues, 3thirty, 420since1974, 442scotty, 4X4, AC, afc wimbledon, alexle, Allos, allthingsflames, Anduril, apiquard, ASP#26525, atb, Azure, Backlunds_socks, bc-chris, Bear, BeltlineFan, ben voyonsdonc, Benched, Beninho, Ben_in_Canada, BigDogg, BigNumbers, bigtmac19, BloodFetish, bluck, Boblobla, brocoli, Brodieyouevenlift, Browndog71, brzeisk13, Burner, Burninator, burn_this_city, Cactus Jack, Calgary Highlander, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, calgaryboy, CalgaryFan1988, calgaryred, calgarywinning, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, Canehdianman, Captaincanada80, carom, cavalera403, cDnStealth, CedarMeter, Cheese, Chingas, chummer, Coach, CofR, ColoradoFlamesFan, corporatejay, crapshoot, CrazyCaper, csnarpy, Cycling76er, Dajazz, dammage79, DazzlinDino, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, DEvans, devel, devo22, Dion, dissentowner, dolf, Domoic, DoubleF, drewtastic, droopydrew19, DT77, DuckmanX, dutch14, Eric, Erick Estrada, erikk3, etc, EVERLAST, FBI, FFFLife, Flacker, Flambé, flambers, flamesfan1297, flamesfever, flamesgod, FlamesNation23, flamesrule14, flamesrule_kipper34, Flames_F.T.W, Flamezzz, FlatLandFlamesFan, foofighter15, ForeverFlameFan, Fredrik, Frequitude, Funkhouser, FurnaceFace, FusionX, Galakanokis, Gallick, Gaskal, Gaudfather, Geordano, GioforPM, gonzo29, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, GullFoss, habernac, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hilbilly, Hockey-and_stuff, Hockeyguy15, HockeyKhan, Homeslice, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, iggy_oi, IgiTang, IgnitedSoul, IliketoPuck, Incogneto, indes, Inferno099, Infinit47, Insufficient Funds, Itse, Jacks, jammies, Jawbone Hill, jayswin, Jbo, jeffporfirio, Jetfire, jg13, Jimmy Stang, jkflames, Joborule, jtfrogger, justing, kbvall, keenan87, kermitology, KipperRules, KiwiFlame, Kolbe31, KootenayFlamesFan, krazycanuck, Kybb79, Lanny'sDaMan, Large11, lazypucker, Le Golie, Lil Pedro, Locke, looooob, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, mac_82, magicbell, malcolmk14, matt608, Mazrim, mdubz, metal_geek, metroneck, Mightyfire89, mikephoen, Minnie, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, Money23, MoneyGuy, Mony, Morning Wood, Murph, Muta, N-E-B, nemanja2306, nfotiu, no_joke, nwflamesfan, OBCT, oilyfan, OldDutch, OldSam, Otto-matic, PaperBagger'14, Party Elephant, Peanut, Pellanor, PostandIn, prarieboy, Prufrock, psyang, PsYcNeT, PugnaciousIntern, Puppet Guy, RandyHolt, rayne008, redflamesfan08, RedHotC, Redliner, Rickbo, ricosuave, RoadGame, robaur, Robbob, Robo, rotten42, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Rulakir, Ruttiger, Ryan Coke, Sainters7, Saqe, Sask_Flames_Fan, savardandjokinen, Savvy27, Scoopdogg, SeanCharles, sicsun, SirPsychoSexy, SixtySix, Slacker, slybomb, SoCalFlamesFan, SoulOfTheFlame, speede5, squiggs96, St. Pats, StanleyCupIn2020, Stay Golden, stazzy33, STeeLy, Stochansky, StrykerSteve, surferguy, Suzles, Swayze11, Table 5, taxbuster, Teh_Bandwagoner, tete, Textcritic, The Yen Man, the2bears, TheFlamesVan, TheScorpion, TopChed, Trailer Fire, trumpethead, tvp2003, Tyler, UKflames, united, VictoryJuice, woob, wwkayaker, Wyguy, Yamer, zukes, Zulu29
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dates to follow

Sat 10 March Party at Aeneas!
11, 13, 16, 21 March home games

18th away game:

When:Sunday March 18
Where: Craft Beer Market Downtown - 345 10 AVE SW
Time: 1:30pm ish - game time is at 2pm

19 March away games meet ups at pubs.

Game on March 21st we would like to raffle off three tickets for 3 CPers to attend with Calgaryboy.

Last edited by Aeneas; 02-13-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added craft beer market CP meet
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Love it!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done by you guys for setting this all up. You're good people.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You guys are amazing. Very good people.

Please make sure to forward this story to the Flames.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Making friends uncomfortable with thoughtful gifts is my favourite thing to do!

Awesome work guys, I hope he (and you) have an amazing time!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Original thread from 2010

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=95076
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Outstanding work guys.

Enjoy Petr!!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be there to drink your beer and eat your food and visit with Petr again!

Some of you have already reached out to me and that has been greatly appreciated, Aeneas has done most of the hard work I'm just trying to help out as I can to make this happen!

I apologize for being hard to get a hold of, I had to orchestrate most of this from my cell phone on a beach in Hawaii the last couple of weeks, but I'm back now.

Its the man's favourite player (National Hero) on his favourite team in his favourite city in his last season. Lets make this happen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Kudos to whoever contributed to this. Very selfless and classy. Good karma to you all!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proud to be part of this community for 18+ years. Well done, everyone!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Absolutely, they might be able to help arrange a special meeting or something I would imagine...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
You guys are amazing. Very good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Absolutely, they might be able to help arrange a special meeting or something I would imagine...
Tried with a low level approach, nothing to report yet. His first visit we had that incredible behind the scenes tour.

Somebody smarter than me could put up the YouTube video of the Global article.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Tried with a low level approach, nothing to report yet. His first visit we had that incredible behind the scenes tour.

I still have it on my other YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGTLGzWFoY
Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #15
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why CP is amazing. Full of people who go out of their way to make once in a lifetime happen. You're all kick ass humans. May the gods reward you later.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Petr with Jagr from his last trip to Calgary

Last edited by Dion; 10-25-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good on you and all the others who contributed.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post

Geli's son plays on my men's hockey team... i'll reach out to Matt and i'm sure if his dad can make it happen he will!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an amazing geasture!! Good on you guys!
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hello guys.

Aeneas told everything. I am still "uncomfortable" but on a board. Never ever anything like that happened to me, had to pay for everything in my life and my life attitude is that if I have no money for something, I just cannot have it. It is that simple. That is why I "refused" any sort of Gofundme page. Really not something for me. It was a close case for me.....But after probably like 10 days after my post with No thanks to Gofundmepage Aeneas contacted me.....and you know the rest from him.

I was thinking about it a lot, then I said to myself, if somebody contacted Aeneas after that my "no thanks" post, that really means something and it would be now like "polite" to accept. After a few days of many conversations with my family and friends, I said yes, thank you very much. I would probably really not be able to come this season, not that I have no money, but I just have no money for CGY trip /family things etc/.

So here I am, uncomfortable, but unbelievably moved by this whole thing. It really means MUCH to me, it is nice to have this kind of huuuuge support. Will be really "SOMETHING" for me again to go to the Saddledome, to see my beloved Flames, Jagr in a CGY uniform on my own eyes, to see all of you guys again etc.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by calgaryboy; 10-25-2017 at 11:38 AM.
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 188 Users Say Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
#22, 3thirty, 420since1974, AC, Aeneas, alexle, Allos, alnigi, Anduril, apiquard, atb, Azure, ballin, BeltlineFan, Benched, Beninho, Ben_in_Canada, BigDogg, bigtmac19, billybob123, BloodFetish, Boblobla, Bohica, brocoli, Browndog71, Burninator, BurningYears, byronkentgraham, bzoo02, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, CalgaryFan1988, Calgaryflamesgirl34, calgarywinning, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, Canehdianman, Captaincanada80, carom, cDnStealth, CedarMeter, Cheese, Chingas, chris_yk, ClubFlames, Coach, CofR, Cowboy89, csnarpy, Delthefunky, Demzy84, DEvans, devel, devo22, dissentowner, dolf, Domoic, drewtastic, droopydrew19, dsavillian, East Coast Flame, EldrickOnIce, etc, FBI, Fire, firebird, Flacker, Flambé, flambers, flamesfan1297, FlamesFanTrev, flamesfever, FlamesNation23, ForeverFlameFan, Frank MetaMusil, Fredrik, Frequitude, FurnaceFace, Gallick, Gaskal, Gaudfather, Geordano, Gondi Stylez, gonzo29, GranteedEV, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, Hockeyguy15, Homeslice, HUSKER4FLAMES, IgiTang, Imported_Aussie, indes, Inferno099, Insufficient Funds, Iowa_Flames_Fan, Jacks, jammies, jayswin, Jbo, jeffporfirio, Jetfire, jg13, jkflames, Joborule, Joe Nieuwendyk, jtfrogger, justing, KevanGuy, Kipper is King, KipperRules, KootenayFlamesFan, lambeburger, Lanny'sDaMan, lazypucker, Le Golie, Lil Pedro, Locke, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, Madrox, malcolmk14, matt608, Mazrim, Mightyfire89, mikeecho, mikephoen, Minnie, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, Money23, nwflamesfan, OBCT, OldDutch, OldSam, Otto-matic, PaperBagger'14, Party Elephant, Peanut, Pellanor, PostandIn, prarieboy, psyang, PsYcNeT, Puppet Guy, rayne008, redflamesfan08, RoadGame, robaur, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Rulakir, Ruttiger, savardandjokinen, schooner, SinceDay1, Slacker, slybomb, SoCalFlamesFan, squiggs96, St. Pats, StanleyCupIn2020, stazzy33, STeeLy, Stochansky, Strange Brew, surferguy, Suzles, Teh_Bandwagoner, Textcritic, the2bears, TheFlamesVan, TheIronMaiden, TheScorpion, Trailer Fire, tvp2003, UKflames, united, VictoryJuice, White Out 403, woob, wwkayaker, Yrebmi, Zarley, Zoller, zukes, zztim81