Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #8101
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I've turned around on Brady Tkachuk after watching the u18s last year and u20s this year. He is more talented than the numbers he was putting up, and ever since getting back to college after the juniors he's been on a roll. He's matching Jordan Greenway (a pretty good prospect) step for step and he's 2 years younger.

After Dahlin, I think you can go Tkachuk without too many regrets. Someone between Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Etc will probably be more impactful but I would not he confident teling you which one at this time. I'm confident Brady Tkachuk will be an impact player, but maybe not elite.
Just so I don't put words in your mouth, you're not actually thinking Brady Tkahuck would be your number two overall pick, are you?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #8102
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just so I don't put words in your mouth, you're not actually thinking Brady Tkahuck would be your number two overall pick, are you?
Today it would probably be Zadina but I need to watch a lot more hockey before I can confidently make some rankings

I really like Wahlstrom and I'm pretty sure he'll end up in my final top 5

Don't know enough about the second tier d-men (Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes) to rank them over the guys that should be impact forwards yet
Old 02-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #8103
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik is good value for money. Key in a shut down role. No drama

I can see why teams would be interested, but we'd be nuts to trade him.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #8104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

He's the definition of"can play up and down the lineup".
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #8105
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

i don't disagree with you - but shut down is not the role of your 2nd line - Flames don't generate enough offence because ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #8106
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideas of trading hamilton seem shortsighted considering Gio's current age...
Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #8107
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and Hamilton's current age
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #8108
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
i don't disagree with you - but shut down is not the role of your 2nd line - Flames don't generate enough offence because ....
You are too fixated on line number. Backlund's line is a shutdown line with decent offence. The plan is to have another scoring line that is able to contribute. Call it a third line or a second line, who cares. By definition a shutdown line is going to have the second highest minutes at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #8109
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are too fixated on line number. Backlund's line is a shutdown line with decent offence. The plan is to have another scoring line that is able to contribute. Call it a third line or a second line, who cares. By definition a shutdown line is going to have the second highest minutes at least.
Sure i can see that. I'm not trying to run Frolik out of town, but i wouldn't hang up the phone if someone was asking about him.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #8110
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Do you believe half the things you say, or just looking for attention?
Just wait. The team that selects Brady Tkachuk in the top five will be making a mistake of epic proportions. As has been pointed out, if his name were Brady Smith, teams would be looking at him with a much more skeptical view. Currently, Brady is trending to a NHLe of 14 points. Matthew, in his draft year, managed a NHLe of 47, which he surpassed in his rookie season. Matthew has been a better player at ever single level the two have played at. Brady is getting the recognition because of his family lineage. I wouldn't be risking a top pick on a player that has such mediocre stats. But that's me, because I tend to think for myself and not just follow the lemming in front of me. I don't mind being out in front of some of these things, recognizing it takes people time, but they eventually come around and figure these things out.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #8111
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just wait. The team that selects Brady Tkachuk in the top five will be making a mistake of epic proportions. As has been pointed out, if his name were Brady Smith, teams would be looking at him with a much more skeptical view. Currently, Brady is trending to a NHLe of 14 points. Matthew, in his draft year, managed a NHLe of 47, which he surpassed in his rookie season. Matthew has been a better player at ever single level the two have played at. Brady is getting the recognition because of his family lineage. I wouldn't be risking a top pick on a player that has such mediocre stats. But that's me, because I tend to think for myself and not just follow the lemming in front of me. I don't mind being out in front of some of these things, recognizing it takes people time, but they eventually come around and figure these things out.

I was talking about the value of a 5 pick. You finished patting yourself on the back?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #8112
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Brady Tkachuk is gonna bust. He’s riding on Matt’s coat tails and everyone believes he’s going to be as good, even though he’s never come close to producing like his brother. He’s not as talented, not as fierce, and will not achieve the lofty expectations of going top five. He’s going to go full Virtanen, and you never go full Virtanen.
Quote:
Do you believe half the things you say, or just looking for attention?
Quote:
I was talking about the value of a 5 pick. You finished patting yourself on the back?
How were you talking about the value of a top five pick when his post that you responded to was 100% about Brady Tkachuk?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #8113
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Our second line is one of the better offensive producing second lines in the NHL along with being one of the best defensively of all lines in the NHL. There is nothing wrong with our second line.

That said, if they do trade for a scoring winger I think Frolik would be really good beside Jankowski and Bennett as a stabilizing force on the line.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #8114
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Sure i can see that. I'm not trying to run Frolik out of town, but i wouldn't hang up the phone if someone was asking about him.
Sure but a second round pick is something you immediately hang up the phone on, if you’re still referring to the original suggestion of Frolik for a second. If he’s part of a bigger package then fine. But you can’t trade a guy like Frolik away for peanuts when you’re trying to make a playoff run.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #8115
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Brady Tkachuk is somehow #### disturbing the 2017/2018 Trade Speculation thread. That's talent!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #8116
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle View Post
Brady Tkachuk is somehow #### disturbing the 2017/2018 Trade Speculation thread. That's talent!
It doesn't take much here
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #8117
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle View Post
The real question is... where’s Jankowski?
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #8118
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
How were you talking about the value of a top five pick when his post that you responded to was 100% about Brady Tkachuk?
Well then, I stand corrected. Let's talk about Brady Tkachuck then.

Out of curiosity what is it, other than NHLE, that has you and New Era convinced Brady Tkachuck is going to be a bust? I have yet to see a 2018 draft ranking that has him lower than 6. Most have him at 3, or 4. And I believe (could be wrong, don't care to spend much time looking) he is the top ranked NCAA draft eligible prospect.

In short, your position seems to be at odds with the vast majority of hockey writers/scouts who get paid to write and scout. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but they know more about hockey than you do. It would be interesting to see if you can find one writer/scout to support your Brady Tkachuck will be a bust theory. If you can show me one, I'll show you eight stating he's top 5, if not top 3. Then again, perhaps every player after 2 or 3 will be a 'bust' at this years draft.

Or better yet, maybe you can write your own scouting report detailing Brady Tkachuck's short comings. You're 'Brady Smith' argument is a little flimsy, you could use some more amo.

Last edited by TOfan; 02-18-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #8119
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. Some 'interesting' thoughts here. Wild leaps of logic. Love it.

What GM would trade a top 5 pick for Dougie? Honestly, think about it. No one would do that. very few things are worth a top 5 pick in today's NHL.
I think you're overrating a top 5 pick here. Are you actually suggesting Hamilton *wouldn't* get a top 5 pick in return? I think he'd get *at least* that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 AM   #8120
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. Some 'interesting' thoughts here. Wild leaps of logic. Love it.

What GM would trade a top 5 pick for Dougie? Honestly, think about it. No one would do that. very few things are worth a top 5 pick in today's NHL.
A top pairing D-man, league wide, with a decade of career to spare just to see what Brady Tkachuk, or any other pick around the 5 mark can do at the NHL level?

Nope. No one.

The Following User Says Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread