Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #141
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put hold because NO rentals.

I'm ok adding a scoring winger with term left as long as the price isn't astronomical though.

NO rentals.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #142
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I hope they do nothing - I don't want to see them overpay for a player that isn't part of the long term plans.

However, if Treliving can get a scoring winger for something like Fox+, then great. Yes please. But that is wishful thinking.

Oh, and Oduya better than Brodie defensively... lol. Once fans turn on a player, the hyperbole just gets ridiculous.
Sure. Brodie is better at passing, skating, reading the offence but he is not a good defensive D man. This is like you saying Gaudreau is better than Zajac defensively because he skates better, is more dynamic offensively, and does everything else better. If Brodie was playing on the level he was four years ago you would have an argument but he is not, the numbers don't lie.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure. Brodie is better at passing, skating, reading the offence but he is not a good defensive D man. This is like you saying Gaudreau is better than Zajac defensively because he skates better, is more dynamic offensively, and does everything else better. If Brodie was playing on the level he was four years ago you would have an argument but he is not, the numbers don't lie.
No, you're simply over the top with your assessment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #144
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, you're simply over the top with your assessment.
Oh, excellent rebuttal.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh, excellent rebuttal.
You've already ignored all the rebuttals in this thread and shown no desire to be reasonable about it. I was simply making an observation at this point.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #146
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You've already ignored all the rebuttals in this thread and shown no desire to be reasonable about it. I was simply making an observation at this point.
Yes, I have ignored all the posts that say Brodie is excellent defensively because despite the numbers, the articles written about his decline, and the fact he makes costly blunders that hurts the team we can ignore all that because damn it, he is a Flame and we say so! You are correct.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #147
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted yes simply because I see this team badly needs some more scoring in the forward ranks. Whether it’s at the deadline or next year, trade seems like the best option.

And I don’t see how you go into the playoffs with Bartkowski as next man up on defense.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #148
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames should do what every team should do. Sell! Sell! Sell!!! If someone is dumb enough to over-pay for any asset you have, and it leaves you in a better position moving forward, you sell every time.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #149
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Flames should do what every team should do. Sell! Sell! Sell!!! If someone is dumb enough to over-pay for any asset you have, and it leaves you in a better position moving forward, you sell every time.
The best would be getting rid of a non-core piece for draft picks and still making the playoffs.

Of course that would require someone being interested in someone like Brouwer or Stajan, so failing that I'd rather just stand pat.

If somehow you can add a long term piece for a reasonable price (lol at the deadline) so be it, but no rentals. This team is more than one piece from contending.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #150
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yes I would certainly put out feelers on Bennett , some of the defensive prospects and any of the aging vets. Push every angle they can to land an additional piece going forward. A piece that fits with the window at hand.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #151
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
The best would be getting rid of a non-core piece for draft picks and still making the playoffs.

Of course that would require someone being interested in someone like Brouwer or Stajan, so failing that I'd rather just stand pat.

If somehow you can add a long term piece for a reasonable price (lol at the deadline) so be it, but no rentals. This team is more than one piece from contending.
One guy could change the whole dynamic though. Let's suppose they add Kane whether that is a wise move or not and not knowing the price. But just looking at what that does for them. They could move MT to the top line. Put Bennett back where had success with Backlund and Frolik. Give Jankowski two big wingers to work with in Kane and Ferland. A real chance at improving the top 9 just by one addition.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #152
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

BT wants acquire a scoring winger, and I have faith in him to pull it off being a wizard and all.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #153
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

A scoring winger is badly needed, however not sure the Flames have the assets to make a trade.

Flames have one scoring line, and that will be a problem
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #154
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Buy smart as the team needs a final boost to make the playoffs this year.

Hopefully, another player that is for now and the future.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #155
shawnjohn
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How about we find away to package some junk players (stajan/brouwer) with a d prospect for a Hoffman, Kane, patches type player. Might require throwing in a 2nd or a third in next year's draft.

The biggest issue isn't so much what we're missing, it's the fact we have junk players gg needs to throw over the boards every once and a while.

The biggest addition will be subtraction. I'm exhausted at the thought stajan is still on this team, he should be fetching Conny's Timmy orders by now

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
shawnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #156
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Why would any other team take such a deal? Worth noting we also have no 2nds to trade
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #157
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe they should sell.

I don’t want them spending any futures like Andersson, Fox, Gillies or Bennett (still 21) because they have traded away so many draft picks.

I believe you build the best teams through the draft with patience and persistent selection of the most skill and speed possible. Therefore, I want them to sell Stone for a 2nd or 3rd, Versteeg (if he can be traded with his injury situation...not sure) for a 3rd or 4th and Stajan (if they can) for whatever they can get.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #158
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I believe they should sell.

I don’t want them spending any futures like Andersson, Fox, Gillies or Bennett (still 21) because they have traded away so many draft picks.

I believe you build the best teams through the draft with patience and persistent selection of the most skill and speed possible. Therefore, I want them to sell Stone for a 2nd or 3rd, Versteeg (if he can be traded with his injury situation...not sure) for a 3rd or 4th and Stajan (if they can) for whatever they can get.
I wouldn't trade Stone for that. Need D depth in the play-offs.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #159
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I wouldn't trade Stone for that. Need D depth in the play-offs.
Fair enough. I just look at this team and we're not even technically in the playoffs at this point. I know that we would be with points percentage, but I don't believe the team can compete with Vegas, Winnipeg, Nashville or potentially even Dallas or St. Louis, let alone Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh in a final. I guess it comes down to a lack of faith for me.

I think we need to continue building for the future because I don't believe the Flames have the roster to win a Stanley Cup right now. However, you never know. That's why they play the games.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #160
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Fair enough. I just look at this team and we're not even technically in the playoffs at this point. I know that we would be with points percentage, but I don't believe the team can compete with Vegas, Winnipeg, Nashville or potentially even Dallas or St. Louis, let alone Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh in a final. I guess it comes down to a lack of faith for me.

I think we need to continue building for the future because I don't believe the Flames have the roster to win a Stanley Cup right now. However, you never know. That's why they play the games.
Still, Stone's worth more than that. You don't give players away that have value just for the sake of having more magic beans.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline