Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The good news is they have young strong centers in the show, a deep blueline, and prospects on the blueline.

They have the hardest things to acquire.

Agreed. Which is why—as frustrating as this year has been at times—it’s not worth stressing over so much. How they flesh out the roster in the next two seasons is most important, imo.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Backlund and Frolik have had pretty tough matches all year. It's tough to score when you are checking the top line all the time. Plus Backlund hasn't had Frolik for an extended time (and Frolik hasn't been himself since coming back).

Bennett and Jankowski score as much as they do because they are (a) not matched against the best checkers and (c) not matched against the best scorers. They are, in other words, sheltered.
Backlund and Frolik are getting the same matchups as last season. They just haven’t been nearly as good. Too many excuses for these two as they haven’t been good enough as 2nd line players. Tkachuk should be playing with Bennett and Jankowski.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #23
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed on a lot of this Bingo.

Lomberg isn't putting pressure on guys ahead of him in the lineup to take some of their icetime. That's what we need him to do. In a lot of ways his biggest contribution last night was letting Gaudreau get double shifted.

Lazar needs to be given a chat about hitting the net. At this point i'm all for him aiming at the goalie's crest and trying for rebounds. That would be better than his momentum killing missed shots that result in easy zone exits for the opponents.

I'm exctied to see Klimchuk. I expect him to draw in next game.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Agreed on a lot of this Bingo.

Lomberg isn't putting pressure on guys ahead of him in the lineup to take some of their icetime. That's what we need him to do. In a lot of ways his biggest contribution last night was letting Gaudreau get double shifted.

Lazar needs to be given a chat about hitting the net. At this point i'm all for him aiming at the goalie's crest and trying for rebounds. That would be better than his momentum killing missed shots that result in easy zone exits for the opponents.

I'm exctied to see Klimchuk. I expect him to draw in next game.
The NHL is all about speed and pressure now.

A guy doesn't have to be a finisher (Lazar), because if he was he wouldn't be on the third line, he'd be up the roster. But he has to have the leg speed to push the play.

If not then he has to have an elite skill (hockey sense, physicality, or even shoot out speciality) to have a roster spot.

The only elite skill Lomberg has is heart, but that's not getting it done (sounds mean I know)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Backlund and Frolik are getting the same matchups as last season. They just haven’t been nearly as good. Too many excuses for these two as they haven’t been good enough as 2nd line players. Tkachuk should be playing with Bennett and Jankowski.
Nope, I think they are being matched against top lines a little more than last year. I think GG went top line against top line a fair bit last year (one reason why Monahan and Gaudreau are scoring a lot more this year).

They are as good as most second lines in the league IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #26
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Nope, I think they are being matched against top lines a little more than last year. I think GG went top line against top line a fair bit last year (one reason why Monahan and Gaudreau are scoring a lot more this year).

They are as good as most second lines in the league IMO.
Yeah agreed, that’s just silly. Everyone has ups and downs year to year, but these guys have been as advertised against stiff competition this year. Let’s also remember Frolik was on the ir for a lengthy stretch as well.