Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #141
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey everyone,

So I did a quick search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone here has a good Mac application to retrieve songs from an old iPod? I downloaded one called iPodDisk, but it seems to crash every time I use it. Is there anything else out there that does the same job, preferably free?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #142
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Hey everyone,

So I did a quick search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone here has a good Mac application to retrieve songs from an old iPod? I downloaded one called iPodDisk, but it seems to crash every time I use it. Is there anything else out there that does the same job, preferably free?
Senuti
Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #143
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Hey everyone,

I think Sharepod will do this, but I have not used it in a few years so I might be mistaken
Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #144
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
While I love this idea, it still seems useless if you have to click "accept" on both devices. Wouldn't the point be to sync away from your computer? I want to set up my computer to download a certain show, wake up, turn on the ipad on my bed-side table, hit sync, get ready for work and walk out of the house with the show all loaded up and ready to go. It sounds silly, but with my computer in my basement for some reason I don't go down there a whole lot. I tend to do my syncing about once a week.
To be quite honest, I didn't watch the video or read much into how it works. FanIn80 is insanely fast in posting mac news so I just wanted to post it quickly

Your description sounds much better and it how I'd assume Apple would implement it if they decided to do it.

I haven't synced my phone in months because I'm so lazy.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #145
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
What is this "coax USB TV tuner" you speak of? Seriously, I was only being half-facetious; we actually do have 2 or 3 tapes of family events (ie my brother's first hockey game) on beta tapes. We kept the tapes around in hopes that we would come across a Beta VCR someday.
You can get BETA vcr at garage sale and on ebay as well as cleaning tapes - they arent cheap though.

My dad is going through this exact same thing. I bought him something similar.

You will need a fairly descent computer, I would suggest on with a 512MB video card. I got him to buy an bare bones DELL XPS a few years ago when he talked about doing this durring his retirement. It took him a few years to get motivated but now he is going though them like gangbusters.

Key is to plug the USB tuner into a USB 2.0 port. We did a few tests with Vista 1GB Ram and onboard video and the video was very grainy. Upgraded the ram to 4GB put windows 7 on there, was better but still grainy. Bought a 512mb video card and it fixed everything.

He uses that and windows movie maker and he is buring through about 10 tapes a week. Second step is giving Costco his HI8 reels and have them conver them to digital for him and he will cut it using Windows movie maker.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #146
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
You can get BETA vcr at garage sale and on ebay as well as cleaning tapes - they arent cheap though.

My dad is going through this exact same thing. I bought him something similar.

You will need a fairly descent computer, I would suggest on with a 512MB video card. I got him to buy an bare bones DELL XPS a few years ago when he talked about doing this durring his retirement. It took him a few years to get motivated but now he is going though them like gangbusters.

Key is to plug the USB tuner into a USB 2.0 port. We did a few tests with Vista 1GB Ram and onboard video and the video was very grainy. Upgraded the ram to 4GB put windows 7 on there, was better but still grainy. Bought a 512mb video card and it fixed everything.

He uses that and windows movie maker and he is buring through about 10 tapes a week. Second step is giving Costco his HI8 reels and have them conver them to digital for him and he will cut it using Windows movie maker.
That sucks that you had to upgrade the hardware so substantially to capture NTSC video. I have that exact tuner stick (re-branded as an Elgato) for the Mac and it works fine on a machine with an integrated GMA950 video chip, doing non-interlaced captures at 60 FPS. I’m surprised at the disparity in requirements.

The Elgato hardware and software is excellent for any macheads looking to do tape conversion (or PVR stuff) on a Mac.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #147
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I *was* all "mehn" about the whole flash debate until today. I missed an episode of "The Daily Show" last week and wanted to watch it on the way to work. But I couldn't watch it on the iPhone or iPad from thecomedynetwork.ca because all their videos are flash.

Is there any means of capturing the flash video from web sites, converting to m4v and then watching on the iPad?

(Yes, I know I could download the episode for $1.99 from iTunes, but I'm cheap... I'd rather view the ads on comedynetwork.ca and save $2)
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #148
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
To be quite honest, I didn't watch the video or read much into how it works. FanIn80 is insanely fast in posting mac news so I just wanted to post it quickly
oh I'm glad you posted it as it is quite big news. It shows that the tools are all there to make it happen. I think you're right, the no button click is the way Apple would want it done so I think that's the reason it was denied (or rather one of the reasons).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #149
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I *was* all "mehn" about the whole flash debate until today. I missed an episode of "The Daily Show" last week and wanted to watch it on the way to work. But I couldn't watch it on the iPhone or iPad from thecomedynetwork.ca because all their videos are flash.

Is there any means of capturing the flash video from web sites, converting to m4v and then watching on the iPad?

(Yes, I know I could download the episode for $1.99 from iTunes, but I'm cheap... I'd rather view the ads on comedynetwork.ca and save $2)
Thats the thing. SO much content on the internet is flash these days. Regardless of their reasons Apple is through their policies keeping people from viewing that content.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #150
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
That sucks that you had to upgrade the hardware so substantially to capture NTSC video. I have that exact tuner stick (re-branded as an Elgato) for the Mac and it works fine on a machine with an integrated GMA950 video chip, doing non-interlaced captures at 60 FPS. I’m surprised at the disparity in requirements.

The Elgato hardware and software is excellent for any macheads looking to do tape conversion (or PVR stuff) on a Mac.
I purposely had him buy a barebones XPS - 1GB RAM 60GB HD no video card because with these types of things its best to upgrade at a local cheaper store than at a place like DELL or HP.

The Processor is a dual core which we didnt cheap on, we just cheaped out on accessories. A 512 MB vid card and 4GB are dirt cheap these days, alot cheaper than when we bought the computer.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #151
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey guys just have a couple of questions about some of my beloved Apple products.
Question 1: My iPhone is being weird, it will allow me to go to virtually any website, but it won't load CP which frustrates me quite a bit, any idea why this could be?

Question 2: My white macbook, 2.5 years old is acting up and it freezes a bunch, usually safari slows down and then the whole computer freezes and I have no choice but to hard restart it, any ideas on how to fix this? (I currently have leopard installed.)
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #152
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Apple triggers religious reaction in fanbois:

Quote:
For Apple fans, the brand triggers a reaction in the brain that's not unlike that of religious devotees...
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #153
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I wonder what reaction in the brain is triggered when somebody posts a Fata?

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=105672
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #154
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hahaha. I couldn't remember who the Apple hater guy was but I thought he must have missed this. Should've known better.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #155
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hahaha. I couldn't remember who the Apple hater guy was but I thought he must have missed this. Should've known better.
I'm pretty sure he has a batphone under one of those cake domes that rings whenever anything negative about able is reported. You won't be able to beat him.

Fanin80 has a similar setup for positive apple news. His is much more stylish though, forged from a single piece of titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #156
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Holy crap. WWDC Keynote will be delivered by Steve and will outline Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud (official name) services. That is going to be one busy-ass morning.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html

Also, they've announced iWork for iPhone and iPod Touch. Pretty small devices to get work done, but could be great for small edits (assuming the docs will hook easily into iCloud).
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #157
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Holy crap. WWDC Keynote will be delivered by Steve and will outline Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud (official name) services. That is going to be one busy-ass morning.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html

Also, they've announced iWork for iPhone and iPod Touch. Pretty small devices to get work done, but could be great for small edits (assuming the docs will hook easily into iCloud).
both are doable though with the wireless keyboard. I can even take notes in meetings on my phone with the keyboard. I don't, but I could!

My wife uses the iPad and keyboard and is pretty productive.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #158
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to have some issues with my Macbook. It is probably about 4.5 years old, and is beginning to show its age I think. I've noticed that it is running quite a bit slower than it used to, the fan seems to stay on an awful lot more now, and in fact once it's on, it doesn't seem to shut off until I shut the computer down. I do all the updates that it recommends I do, and I wonder if it just can't handle the newest software so well anymore. Here are the stats on the unit:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)...

I'm not sure how relevant any of that information is. But is there anything I can do to help the performance on the Macbook? Or is it simply getting old?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #159
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I'm starting to have some issues with my Macbook. It is probably about 4.5 years old, and is beginning to show its age I think. I've noticed that it is running quite a bit slower than it used to, the fan seems to stay on an awful lot more now, and in fact once it's on, it doesn't seem to shut off until I shut the computer down. I do all the updates that it recommends I do, and I wonder if it just can't handle the newest software so well anymore. Here are the stats on the unit:

I'm not sure how relevant any of that information is. But is there anything I can do to help the performance on the Macbook? Or is it simply getting old?
with a bit of overclocking, a smartphone can have more power than that laptop. kind of mind boggling when you think about it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #160
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post

if the fan is running all the time and its noticeably slower (like really slow), it could just need an SMC reset - google how to do that for your particular model. The SMC controls cooling and CPU throttling, and if it gets out of whack you can see similar issues.

My guess though is its probably clogged up with dust, at that age.