Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #1301
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I feel like his happened two or three times in the last three years. Am I taking crazy pills.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #1302
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kanye West Almost Walked Off Moments Before His SNL Performance

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...re-his-sn.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #1303
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He's such a BS artist, and his music is pretty much over pretentious over produced garbage.

They should have let him walk off, dressed Thomspson as him and put him out singing a new version of the song I'm an ahole, but with mean spirited lyrics about him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #1304
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Killam, Moynahan, Mackinnon, Thompson, Pharaoh, Strong, Bayer, and Bryant. Honestly, it's a pretty decent core cast. I think it's mostly the writing that's taken a hit since the departure of Fey, Samberg, and Myers.

Last edited by Coach; 02-16-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #1305
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love Melissa McCarthy - the movie theatre skit and the pick up artist skit had me in stitches.

I really think it's a great cast - Kate Mackinnon is an all-time great and Thompson is an absolute treasure. That guy cracks me up every time he is on screen.

Oh yeah, and the Kanye performance was dope too.

Last edited by East Coast Flame; 02-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #1306
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Kanye West Almost Walked Off Moments Before His SNL Performance

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...re-his-sn.html

I'm not sure I agree with that. It kind of sounds like bull####.

His set for Wolves on the SNL 40 was bare bones. His set for his Yeezus (Black Skinhead and new Slaves) was bare bones.

I'm not sure why he'd expect much different here.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #1307
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. It kind of sounds like bull####.

His set for Wolves on the SNL 40 was bare bones. His set for his Yeezus (Black Skinhead and new Slaves) was bare bones.

I'm not sure why he'd expect much different here.
Because he's an a-hole?
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #1308
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

SNL cast member Pete Davidson was on Opie Radio yesterday and he said something like, "I always thought the media was picking on Kanye. I now realize that they've actually been being nice." Basically saying, all the bad press about last weekend is true.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 AM   #1309
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Heheh, another reason to like Pete!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #1310
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty bad episode yesterday. I refuse to believe there aren't better comic writers out there.

Most of the new cast contributes nothing. Ugh.

And why is Jonah Hill famous?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #1311
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Pretty bad episode yesterday. I refuse to believe there aren't better comic writers out there.

Most of the new cast contributes nothing. Ugh.

And why is Jonah Hill famous?
I agree that it was another terrible episode and I also don't understand the appeal of Hill. The musical act was pretty decent though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #1312
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was awful. I had to turn it off after Weekend Update. The "Racists for Trump" ad was the only thing I laughed at.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #1313
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inside SoCal is possibly the worst recurring sketch in the show's history. Not one laugh. Just horrible.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #1314
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jonah Hill is like an infected Boil on the a%% that is Hollywood. You pray that it goes away, but it never does, and your reminded of him every time you do anything normal like sitting down, or putting on pants.

He's just unfunny, he was terrible in Money Ball, but I never did understand the appeal of that movie.

He and Michael Cera or whatever his name is are the Kristen Wig/McCarty of the male gender. Completely unfunny and they play the same character in everything they do.

I also agree, that show last night was the worst one yet. I tend to think that because SNL has been terrible now for nearly 25 years that its time to state that Lorne Michaels is extremely over rated.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #1315
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Jonah Hill is like an infected Boil on the a%% that is Hollywood. You pray that it goes away, but it never does, and your reminded of him every time you do anything normal like sitting down, or putting on pants.

He's just unfunny, he was terrible in Money Ball, but I never did understand the appeal of that movie.

He and Michael Cera or whatever his name is are the Kristen Wig/McCarty of the male gender. Completely unfunny and they play the same character in everything they do.

I also agree, that show last night was the worst one yet. I tend to think that because SNL has been terrible now for nearly 25 years that its time to state that Lorne Michaels is extremely over rated.
That's not true, and if you've been watching for 25 years and haven't laughed then I'd suggest maybe it's time to stop, maybe it just isn't your style.

I used to laugh constantly in the '04 - '09 range, when the cast and writers were all top notch, imo. It's a show that unfortunately is a victim of it's casts success in short order. It's a very grueling job being a cast member of SNL, and also a stepping stone to being an actor, always has been.

Unfortunately, an A+ SNL cast member typically converts to a C/D actor, so most of them leave SNL while people are tuning in in droves to see their hilarious acting in skits and then do horrible movies (they had a pretty funny self deprecating moment about this at the 40th anniversary).
Old 03-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #1316
jayswin

Exp:

The show's format is what it is, and it's very difficult to do what they do, but also kind of neat that the NBC sticks with it as an institution to the network when most networks just bring in new hyped similar sitcoms and cycle through them year after year.

I bet if you took the writers and actors of SNL and created a scripted sketch show, you could probably get a more solid product with more laughs, but that's not what they are. You get the awkward, bad sketches with the payoff of hilarious sketches with hilarious live, unedited interaction between cast members, including some awesome slip ups/breaking.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #1317
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's not true, and if you've been watching for 25 years and haven't laughed then I'd suggest maybe it's time to stop, maybe it just isn't your style.

I used to laugh constantly in the '04 - '09 range, when the cast and writers were all top notch, imo. It's a show that unfortunately is a victim of it's casts success in short order. It's a very grueling job being a cast member of SNL, and also a stepping stone to being an actor, always has been.

Unfortunately, an A+ SNL cast member typically converts to a C/D actor, so most of them leave SNL while people are tuning in in droves to see their hilarious acting in skits and then do horrible movies (they had a pretty funny self deprecating moment about this at the 40th anniversary).
01 to about 05 were my favorite years. With a cast of Ferrell, Fallon, Fey, Rudolph, Poehler and Meyers the shows were amazing. After 2005, the best part of the show were the digital shorts with Samberg. One of the biggest turn-offs for me in that time was Wiig. I hated her. After Fey, Poehler, Rudolph and Samberg left the show died.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #1318
jayswin

Exp:

Well, yeah if you hated Wiig then it would be tough to like those years for sure. I liked her on the show, her biggest downside, imo was the writers using her way too much. But overall there was a pretty strong next crop after the years you liked with Armison, Hader, Forte, Meyers, Poehler still around, Samburg, Sudeikis, Wiig and Thompson.

You could argue that it wasn't your taste, I guess, but it's pretty tough to argue that's a weak cast.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #1319
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speaking of this past episode, was Kenan really there? He was in the short, but overall he got a rare night off. It made me kind of miss him. I feel as though they over use him, but he was non existant this past episode.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #1320
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Jonah Hill did one of my favorite sketches in Season 33:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/07/07hsituation.phtml
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote