Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2015, 04:27 AM   #1161
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

All of Mooney's non-live sketches seem to be the same too. Their like weird, but not funny weird. Usually I like bizarre humour, but all of his go in the same direction anyway, so they lose their weirdness. That one on the Hilary Clinton episode, with Miley Cryus. Terrible. Can't stand him.

I really like Keenan Thompson though. I dunno, even his smile cracks me up.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #1162
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

While we're ranting....

Mooney is the worst....he couldn't even get sympathy laughter for his horrible pope bit. His videos suck; too forcefully quirky for me to relate to.

Kenan Thompson is awesome. I don't mind Jones but do wish she'd yell less. Bennett is useless... his only talent is that weird baby thing.

Che is fine, but he often resorts to a nervous giggle to fill in awkward silences. Jost has improved a lot and he has better chemistry with the characters that come on Update.

Pete Davidson was funny at first but I feel like they ran out of stuff for him to do. I think Pharoah is running into a similar issue. I don't get Zamata; she's alright but I wouldn't say funny.

The new guy seems okay.

Strong is weird for me....I find her characters either hilarious or painfully annoying.

Killam and McKinnon are the show now.

Last edited by Machiavelli; 10-25-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Machiavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #1163
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This season has been painful so far. The past couple of years have been going down hill but this year it seems like it's been really bad. My wife and I used to PVR it and watch it at some point on sunday. We'd somewhat pay attention to it but we'd always pay attention to weekend update. This year the sketches have been a lot worse and even weekend update is just another part of the show. It used to be the best part by far but now it seems like the writers aren't even trying and the acting on it is even worse.

This show is in trouble.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #1164
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If you watch a full random episode from any season, the ratio of good sketches to bad sketches remains fairly constant over time. This is the nature of the format. If I like 3 sketches or bits, that is a successful show. Rare is the show that is great from start to finish.

You hear the same complaint every year since season two that the show is now bad or going downhill.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #1165
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You hear the same complaint every year since season two that the show is now bad or going downhill.
This thread started in 2006, and every year people make the comments about how bad this show is, and how they'll be tuning out soon. A lot of those people are still watching 9 years later...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #1166
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Very happy to announce that Matthew McConaughey will host November 21 with musical guest Adele!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #1167
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
This thread started in 2006, and every year people make the comments about how bad this show is, and how they'll be tuning out soon. A lot of those people are still watching 9 years later...
There is always people that start off rough and end up coming into their own after a couple years. I remember when people HATED Killam, but he's one of the better cast members now, even when there were stronger people. I'm sure even some of the very best cast members caught plenty of flack in their early days on the show.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #1168
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I will never like Kyle Mooney. I will never understand his humour, if you can even call it humour. Someone needs to tell him that he is not Andy Samberg, nor Lonely Island.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #1169
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I'm actually shocked at the Keenan Thompson love. I've never really found his jokes funny, and all of his impressions/characters sound the same. Such limited talent for a veteran of the show.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #1170
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Thompson's expressions is where a lot of his humor come from. He always cracks me up.

His Steve Harvey bits and What's Up Wit Dat? (although I'm not sure they even do it anymore) always killed me. I understand people find repetitiveness in something like What's Up Wit Dat?, but I think that's part of the hilarity.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #1171
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keenan Thompson is funny, it's as simple as that. He IS funny, as opposed to him being able to say funny stuff or act funny. He is just a physically funny person. We all have met people like that in normal life and they are a delight to be around. As another poster mentioned above, sometimes he doesn't even have to do or say anything to make people laugh. SNL is a comedy after all. It will not survive only on smirks caused by smartass snide remarks in Weekend Update and Hillary Clinton's Keystone XL jokes for any meaningful period of time without the actually funny stuff that makes people laugh outloud. Looking at SNL history, the best skits that viewers remember over and over again are characters' physical comedy.

Regarding the Myley Cyrus hosted episode, my wife and I really enjoyed the Millennials skit. As parents of "those kids", we could truly associate with almost everything going on in it.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #1172
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you watch a full random episode from any season, the ratio of good sketches to bad sketches remains fairly constant over time. This is the nature of the format. If I like 3 sketches or bits, that is a successful show. Rare is the show that is great from start to finish.

The show has been bad and got better and got bad and got better over and over again. People are still fans of the show. I'm a fan of the show and always have been and likely always will be but it needs to improve, and it will. It's not like people think the show should end or will end because it's having a bad season. I think they just need to work on things. They could (not likely) have the exact same cast next year and the show could be great. The actors and writers just need to raise the bar a little, and I"m sure they will. It will get better but IMO it's in a bit of a rough stretch right now.

I'll agree that the show is hardly ever funny from start to finish but the part that gets me is the news. They get new material every week and fail to make it funny which just sucks because the news was always the best part of the show. And even if there are 3 funny parts, if you have to sit through an hour of just bad acting that isn't funny at all you'll completely lose the audience. That pope bit on the news was so unfunny that it ruined any actual funny parts right before or right after it.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #1173
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Very happy to announce that Matthew McConaughey will host November 21 with musical guest Adele!
Those are two massive gets for the show
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #1174
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, Keenan Thompson is hilarious! That "most optimistic man in the world" bit slays me every time.

I agree that Kyle Mooney is awful, but other than that I think the rest of the cast is great. I think it's been a really good season so far - Tracy Jordan and Amy Schumer were great hosts. The Schumer airline skit and the Jordan family fued skits were fantastic.

Where has Cecily Strong been this year? Feels like she has barely been in anything.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #1175
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Congressman says SNL's Lorne Michaels should dump Trump because 'racism isn't funny'

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...unny-1.3290707

I don't know - Trump's opponents should be glad he is going on SNL. He might hang himself. Going on SNL did not work out very well for Palin.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #1176
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually didn't realize how many people like Keenan. He's always cracked me up, but I thought I was in the extreme minority in that on this board for some reason. Yeah he doesn't have a lot of range, but what he can do always makes me laugh.

Agreed on Jones, she came out blazing and was surprisingly hilarious, but I'm starting to realize all she can do is yell and be in your face. I have to be in the right mood for it.

It's like that energetic buddy who's awesome to go out with on the town when you're in a party mood, but you can only handle him once in awhile, and is annoying to be around when you're not full of energy yourself.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #1177
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Congressman says SNL's Lorne Michaels should dump Trump because 'racism isn't funny'

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...unny-1.3290707

I don't know - Trump's opponents should be glad he is going on SNL. He might hang himself. Going on SNL did not work out very well for Palin.

I think that depends on your definition of success. She's a moron who is making a fortune.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #1178
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
alright alright alright. Can't wait, love them both.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #1179
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I didn't get a chance to get in to see SNL as they were off this last week, but I did manage to get a tour of the upper seating area. Not exactly a huge thing, but at least I get to say I've been in studio 8H
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #1180
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Hasn't Trump been on SNL before?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote