Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 04:41 PM   #1081
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Okay, I've bought the first Lego for myself in my life, and my first new Space Lego since M-Tron in 1990. Space Lego has always been my childhood thing since I got 6783 from my grandpa.

I am so exited for some reason to buy all the rest of the new space line. They have this whole theme of mining crystals to turn into energy for batteries that power everything. There's all these modules that you can connect up to make space stations and trains and cargo pods. It's what my childhood self would have loved.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 08:24 AM   #1082
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Spoiler!

Okay, I've bought the first Lego for myself in my life, and my first new Space Lego since M-Tron in 1990. Space Lego has always been my childhood thing since I got 6783 from my grandpa.
Spoiler!

I am so exited for some reason to buy all the rest of the new space line. They have this whole theme of mining crystals to turn into energy for batteries that power everything. There's all these modules that you can connect up to make space stations and trains and cargo pods. It's what my childhood self would have loved.
do they power warp drives?? or do they still require dilithium crystals?!?!
Old 01-27-2024, 03:25 PM   #1083
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The small ship I bought has a double NOS boost. I can appreciate the reference I totally made up a connection with in my head.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 01-28-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:33 AM   #1084
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

If you're into space lego, look around and see if you can still find the remade galaxy explorer. (10497) It was a really nice set that had the nostalgia of 30-40 years ago. I am not sure how walmarts are up there, but down here in the states, many still have the set. Each store has taken its own approach on clearance, so some sold out a year ago and some still have them hanging around.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:09 AM   #1085
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I started my boy into Lego pretty early, he is 6 now. But he has just a whole slough of the Mario Lego, the full Harry Potter customizable Hogwarts Set, a bunch of Sonic Lego, some City Lego, Minecraft, Star Wars and a million of those Ninjago Characters.

Trying to figure out the best shelf system to display this but also have like a 'playing on shelf' that is his height so I can rotate sets on to for him to actually use and play with.

Anyone have any pics of tips on going about this? I'd really like to display all his figures for him. He keeps them perfectly organized in tackle boxes right now. I think he has like 5 of every Harry Potter figure from all the different sets. So he obviously doesn't need all of those to 'play' and some could just be kept up and out of the way displayed.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:42 AM   #1086
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

OMG, I had 6783 too! Great set
Old 01-29-2024, 02:09 PM   #1087
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I started my boy into Lego pretty early, he is 6 now. But he has just a whole slough of the Mario Lego, the full Harry Potter customizable Hogwarts Set, a bunch of Sonic Lego, some City Lego, Minecraft, Star Wars and a million of those Ninjago Characters.

Trying to figure out the best shelf system to display this but also have like a 'playing on shelf' that is his height so I can rotate sets on to for him to actually use and play with.

Anyone have any pics of tips on going about this? I'd really like to display all his figures for him. He keeps them perfectly organized in tackle boxes right now. I think he has like 5 of every Harry Potter figure from all the different sets. So he obviously doesn't need all of those to 'play' and some could just be kept up and out of the way displayed.
This is the similar setup I am putting up in in my kids room starting tomorrow.
Spoiler!

I like how we will be able to adjust heights as things as he gets older/bigger, also should be pretty flexible to turn into something else when/if he gets out of Lego. Just realized you were talking about his mini figs versus he actual sets, so this doesnt really apply to what u are asking sorry.
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:17 AM   #1088
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's an awesome looking setup but don't think for a minute that they'll be keeping all the colours and pieces organized. Go into this project knowing that, at best, 85% of the pieces will end up back in the bins after he plays with it. You will NEVER have 100% of the pieces in the bins. they will find their way under and in couches. In other toys, boxes, cupboards, etc.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:20 AM   #1089
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's an awesome looking setup but don't think for a minute that they'll be keeping all the colours and pieces organized. Go into this project knowing that, at best, 85% of the pieces will end up back in the bins after he plays with it. You will NEVER have 100% of the pieces in the bins. they will find their way under and in couches. In other toys, boxes, cupboards, etc.

When I was a kid I loved pirate lego. About ten years ago I moved and i saw all my lego and thought it would be fun to build it again. I was missing one or two key pieces from every. single. set.

I ended up giving it all to my nephew.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:42 PM   #1090
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

One thing about storage I've noticed as it relates to kids.... I have a lot of Lego that I keep sorted. But when my kids come up and play they always go to the big bin of unsorted pieces and start making weird creations. It is like the sorted pieces stunts their creativity or something. Just thought about that reading ktrains post.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:45 PM   #1091
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for some organizing advice here.

I got a huge bag of random Lego. About 25 pounds. It’s a mix of pieces from when I was a kid plus whatever got added to it over the past few decades. Pretty sure there are some mostly complete sets in here, notably the Parisian Restaurant.

What’s the best way to go about organizing this? …by colour right off the bat…by category (bricks, plates, tiles, etc)…by category then colour…something totally different???

Anyone got some good tips or links? There seems to be lots of opinions on google.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:09 AM   #1092
Texas
Draft Pick

I went through this process for a massive amount of Lego and watched a number of tutorials. I do not recommend going by color. Instead:

- seperate the bricks from the plates
- anything 2x2 or smaller should be separated from anything bigger
- big plates and "wings" go into their own bins

- you can keep categorizing based on how many pieces you have. I ended up with 25ish bins.

- bin for figurines and accessories
- bin for pieces with hinges
- bin for wheels
- bin for misc pieces

If you zoom into the photos below, you will get a feel of how it was organized. Ultimately it took a solid week to sort all.of it, but I was then able to rebuild over 80 sets with ease on the other side.

Last edited by Texas; 02-03-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #1093
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing. Thank you! Your 6083 Ice Station base bring back good memories.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #1094
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Looking for some organizing advice here.

I got a huge bag of random Lego. About 25 pounds. It’s a mix of pieces from when I was a kid plus whatever got added to it over the past few decades. Pretty sure there are some mostly complete sets in here, notably the Parisian Restaurant.

What’s the best way to go about organizing this? …by colour right off the bat…by category (bricks, plates, tiles, etc)…by category then colour…something totally different???

Anyone got some good tips or links? There seems to be lots of opinions on google.

Ultimately sorting by shape AND color is the best way to find something you need but if don't have time, sorting by shape only will work since your eyes can easily spot a different color in a pile of all the same shapes while you won't be easy to spot a camouflaged shape in a pile that is all the same color.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #1095
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm half way through sorting pieces I bought from pick-a-brick to make my wife a retired set she really wanted. It's only like 1000 pieces and one set, but I deeply wish I had sorted by piece type (plates/bricks/etc) vs colour. The vast majority of the pieces are like 3 colours, and finding the little tiny 1x2 white plates in a bucket with 200 white pieces in it takes forever.

So learn from my incompetence and sort by piece type.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 08:17 AM   #1096
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Just to echo whats been said, to me the power of sorting by part type is you can get as specific as your collection demands.

When I came out of my dark ages after having kids, I started from scratch as I had told my mom to get rid of all my stuff decades ago. So as I started with a small collection, at first it was just all in a couple bins. As I got more, I sorted all plate into a bin, all brick in a bin, etc. Then as it kept growing, I made a bin of 1x plate, a bin of 2x plate, etc. As its grown even more, I now have drawers of just specific parts like 2x8 plates or 1x4 bricks. Even things like snot bricks and plates have now been sorted specifically by type instead of just having a drawer of them.

For temporary sorting storage, I was able to get a bunch of 5 qt plastic bins from Target for a dollar each. that allowed me to sort into type and then sub sort afterwards if necessary. For permanent storage a lot of people go with Ikea Alew drawers and/or Akro-Mils units. I am a miser, so I based my storage around Sterilite medium sized 3 drawer units from Walmart. I found decent small plastic holders to subdivide them.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:48 AM   #1097
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just thought I'd share this.

Anyone ever had a missing piece from a brand new set?

The Alpine Lodge (10325) we bought to add to our Christmas village was missing a piece. I wrote into Lego and they sent me a replacement.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:00 AM   #1098
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

The Alpine Lodge (10325) we bought to add to our Christmas village was missing a piece. I wrote into Lego and they sent me a replacement.

I've had at least one piece missing out of a brand new right-out-of-the-box set for my last 4 sets. My Millennium Falcon (the massive one) was missing 5 pieces.

Their quality control seems to have gone down the toilet in the last 4 years.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:15 AM   #1099
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Yes, that happens once in awhile. Although our Alpine Lodge was complete so it isn't set specific. But I've definitely had stuff missing. They're pretty good about sending it without complaints. Including on a pretty old set I had bought but never opened that was now retired, which I thought was good of them.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #1100
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I got the Star Wars - Ghost & Phantom II (set 75357) for Christmas and it was missing 1 piece, a quick fill in on their website and it was mailed to me within 2 weeks. First time it's happened to me.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules