Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #301
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

What do you mean how did this get approved? PR teams are racing to the pinnacle of wokeness.
George Floyd might get a holiday named after him, i wouldn't put it past this government.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #302
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

There are bland, disinterested corporate statements like the one the NHL put out earlier today. Which are bad enough on their own.

Then there's straight-up offensive #### like that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #303
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
The takes from both sides right now are pretty cringe. Just let it breathe ffs.
Both sides? What's cringe about people being satisfied with the ruling?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #304
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Both sides of the political spectrum.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #305
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
8 minutes and 46 seconds.

#### you.
It was actually 9 minutes and 29 seconds.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #306
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet you he and His lawyers wished William Bar would have kept his nose out of it in the summer. He had already pleaded to 10 years for 3rd degree.

This is better justice . One that reflects the situation more clearly.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #307
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The administration of justice shouldn't be some spectator sport for people to rally around and cheer on. It's a woeful thing and people celebrating are missing the point of the justice system.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #308
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
The administration of justice shouldn't be some spectator sport for people to rally around and cheer on. It's a woeful thing and people celebrating are missing the point of the justice system.
Like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Do any of the defense's "expert witnesses" get their expert credentials revoked now? It kind of seems like they should.
The adversarial system would collapse if you things were the way you want them.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #309
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think one of the big factors for people celebrating the outcome is the fact that the murder took place on video, there were tons of witnesses, and no threat to the white officer from the black victim.

Yet...

The feeling was Chauvin would be acquitted on at least one of the charges.

The fact that a white police officer killed a black man, on video, with witnesses and was convicted on all charges is unprecedented.

Should people be celebrating when the system works?

No.

But, at the same time, it's the first time in almost 245 years that the system worked this way. So, I get it.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #310
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
The adversarial system would collapse if you things were the way you want them.
Isn't that for the lawyers? I'm not suggesting disbarment. Nor am I suggesting this treatment for everyone. But if the court finds your "expert" position to be egregiously wrong, how can a reasonable person still consider you an expert?

Last edited by SebC; 04-20-2021 at 08:24 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 PM   #311
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly, I'm happy and suprised at the convictions, I think that the appeals will be interesting, I don't know if it can order a retrial, but the defense can probably argue that not sequestering the jury or moving this trial, probably had the jury think about the possible violence that would occur if they didn't convict.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #312
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I know its not popular right now to say wait for the facts prior to passing judgment, but below is all I could find on your story. It's not racist, nor "blue lives matter" , nor anti BLM to simple say that unless you have more evidence, I will wait until passing judgment on this event. I hope more people do the same instead of jumping to conclusions.

What we appear to know: someone called 911 and reported that someone was trying to stab someone, the cops showed up, and the neighbors are reporting a 15 year old black person is dead, along with the hospital reporting that who was taken has died.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/columb...ict-comes-down

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/lo...8-099c105a0f20

If you have a different link with more info, I would invite you to share it as right now, its not an unrealistic conclusion that the deceased was trying to stab people prior to being shot.
Footage is out. Justified shooting. The girl ran out of the house with a knife and stabbed one person before viciously attacking the other girl and nearly stabbing her to death. The officer yelled to put the knife down six times before shooting

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #313
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That officer has nerves of steel. So much chaos and still able to filter it out and act quickly.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #314
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that was a crazy scene with everything happening so fast in the moment. Shooting the one girl definitely saved the other girl in pink.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:56 AM   #315
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

My god, Tucker Carlson exploded tonight

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384688301962141697

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:57 AM   #316
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a world we live in, kids don't fight anymore because mostly they don't know how because they aren't allowed to fight their own battles so they revert to weapons and ruin lives including their own, now days you can't punch a bully at school in the face because you'll likely get charged and kicked out.

I remember my Dad telling me 30 years ago he spanked me as a child for being bad because if he didn't I wouldn't have learned respect and rules, I laughed it off at the time but it seems he was right.

Society acts like now.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #317
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Just saw the video, not sure how the cop doesn’t shoot her there. He can’t just stand there and watch a girl attempt murder. There are times when cops screw up and deserve to be punished for it, that wasn’t one of them.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #318
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Footage is out. Justified shooting. The girl ran out of the house with a knife and stabbed one person before viciously attacking the other girl and nearly stabbing her to death. The officer yelled to put the knife down six times before shooting
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't like the other poster jumping to such a large conclusion, no matter that the daily beast headline tried to get people to think.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #319
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, i can't say i am impressed with sports teams releasing statements on social media about this verdict. Are they now going to offer commentary on all cases, or just select ones? Are they going to offer commentary on other social issues?

I follow teams on social media to get info on them, there are other sources for judicial and political insights and when i want them, i will seek them out.

with all that said, clearly this ruling prevented a huge potential demonstrations in the streets. I'd assume that there will be an appeal.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #320
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
personally, i can't say i am impressed with sports teams releasing statements on social media about this verdict. Are they now going to offer commentary on all cases, or just select ones? Are they going to offer commentary on other social issues?

I follow teams on social media to get info on them, there are other sources for judicial and political insights and when i want them, i will seek them out.

with all that said, clearly this ruling prevented a huge potential demonstrations in the streets. I'd assume that there will be an appeal.
This is where we are. I mean we had the President of the United States, the night before, praying for a particular verdict of a criminal case. We had Trudeau, ever the opportunist, immediately releasing a video applauding the verdict. When has this ever happened? Did Bill Clinton have an opinion on the OJ Simpson case? In fact he told Americans to stand together.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1519...portant-issues