Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #101
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Blues were clearly the better team 5 on 5 until Binnington let in that horrific 3rd goal. Then the beauty by Horvat iced it.

I figured game 1 would be the Canucks' best chance for a W, as the Blues wouldn't be fully up to speed yet. But them losing on bad goaltending was surprising.

Nucks played well and had the PP going. And that is their one hope of advancing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #102
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I thought the Blues chances were mostly perimeter shots while the Canucks had the higher quality close in chances throughout the game. The Blues did have the advantage in ######y behind the play infractions and after whistle goalie whacks. The Blues should have another gear or two so the series is far from decided, but the Canucks looked much faster and invested.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #103
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In many series I tend to lean in to some kind of sustained action or miracle for the perceived underdog... just the way it is, and most often not the way it is.
Clearly the Canucks are the under ones in this series. I think there is is good possibility of this being a really good series of hockey , no matter the outcome.
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #104
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I actually want the Canucks to win this series.....
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #105
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I actually want the Canucks to win this series.....
I actually kind of like this incarnation of the Canucks ....
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #106
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I actually kind of like this incarnation of the Canucks ....
Ugh, me too.

And even better, the Flames seem to really get up to play against them, so the series would probably be insanely fun and I think the Flames would win. Which means western conference finals.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #107
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the Nucks current dbag-free incarnation also makes me strangely not hate them. but it also feels like after the fall from the 2011 heights, their fans have actually learned a bit of humility and an acceptable grasp on reality. of course they're gonna pump up how sick Hughes and Alienhead are, but that's normal behavior. I don't really see them shouting online about how they're destined for multiple cups.

compare that to Oiler fans and media, who have marched lockstep further into the realm of pure fiction with every failed season that passes by. I'll cheer against the Oilers even from beyond the grave no matter what, but everything I read and hear about that team from those around it gives me a mix of uncontrollable laughter and dry heaving.

good job so far on the rebuild Nucks, just don't let it get to your head or else you might find yourself stuck in a west coast version of McFantasyland.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #108
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, I still hate the Canucks passionately, and I still can't cheer for them to win.

With that being said, it is nice to see them having moved on from being that classless team diving every shift, pulling hair, biting, etc. They are fun to watch, and they have a lot of really good pieces in their organization. They seem like they will be a good team in the years to come.

I still hate them though. Go Blues Go!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #109
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't really say I hate this year's version of the Canucks but I still want them to lose.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #110
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that has changed for me recently is the Oilers have passed the Canucks as my most hated team. There isn’t a team I have hated in sports more than the 2010/2011 Canucks with the most arrogant fanbase I have ever seen.

After we beat them in 2015 and they went into a half decade of darkness the Oilers have risen up and overtaken them as my most hated team. Outside of 2017 however the Oilers haven’t been much better than Vancouver but they have overtaken the arrogance title from the Canucks fans.

My most hated teams:

1. Oilers
2. Canucks

3. Leafs

4. Habs
5. Jets

6. Sens
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #111
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those early 2010s Canucks squads were as despicable as they come, and it didn't help that the Flames were well past their best years at that point. Gave their fans all sorts of ammunition to act arrogant and obnoxious, and all we could do was sit on the sidelines and watch it all happen. Meanwhile Feaster was busy dragging us further and further into becoming a laughing stock. But that was a long time ago, and I actually kind of like this current iteration.

The Oilers, their fans, their local media, and everything about the organization from top to bottom easily take the cake for most unbearable and entitled. This despite wearing the crown of the most consistently incompetent and hilariously inept sports franchise in the world. I don't know if they'll ever reach the peak of those early 2010s Canucks years for hateability, but they're giving it their best try. It helps that their team is never an actual threat to do well, so it's kind of like watching a sad clown.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 08-13-2020 at 10:09 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #112
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames-Canucks playoff series are always amazing.

Go Canucks. I want to beat them. The thought of Backlund dummying Pettersson while Bennett does the same to Horvat, and then the Gaudreau line feasting on their depth... I want it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #113
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flame-killer Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Torres, Lapierre, Kassian and a toxic fan base, yeah I used to hate the Canucks with a passion.

I can't find the same hatred now, but if Canucks fans start displaying the arrogance levels from 2011 it will come back.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #114
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird to see the nuck love in here, or at least a lack of nuck hate.

I danced with the devil a few weeks back when I praised their rebuild and how I believe they are well positioned going forward as long as they don't screw up the goaltending situation and quit wasting money on high priced UFA's. Hopefully they do both though and screw themselves hard core because it will kill me if they end up with a better rebuild than the Flames despite gifting us Tkachuk by taking Juolevi.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #115
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I danced with the devil a few weeks back when I praised their rebuild and how I believe they are well positioned going forward as long as they don't screw up the goaltending situation and quit wasting money on high priced UFA's. Hopefully they do both though and screw themselves hard core because it will kill me if they end up with a better rebuild than the Flames despite gifting us Tkachuk by taking Juolevi.
At this point we can't really compare our rebuild to others, it just is what it is. Plenty of teams have rebuilt over that time. Some of them got lucky and hit big on every single major pick and then some (Colorado) and some of them flopped hard (LOL Edmonton). Ours is somewhere in the middle.

If Vancouver's rebuild ends up getting them better results than the Flames, so be it. Ours was really thrown off track by the Sam Bennett pick, and might be further compromised by Gaudreau and Fox wanting out. Not to mention a whole bunch of other misfortunes along the way (Bishop, Ribiero, Kadri, etc). That's just the way it goes sometimes, especially in small markets where great players don't tend to want to go and/or don't want to stick around for very long.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 08-13-2020 at 11:27 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #116
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I compare the current Nucks to the 2017 Flames - a young team having fun and playing with house money (no pressure and no expectations).

Bringing in some draft picks is the easy part of the rebuild. Turning it into a winner, and managing the cap, is the hard part.

Also, #### the Nucks.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #117
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
At this point we can't really compare our rebuild to others, it just is what it is. Plenty of teams have rebuilt over that time. Some of them got lucky and hit big on every single major pick and then some (Colorado) and some of them flopped hard (LOL Edmonton). Ours is somewhere in the middle.

If Vancouver's rebuild ends up getting them better results than the Flames, so be it. Ours was really thrown off track by the Sam Bennett pick, and might be further compromised by Gaudreau and Fox wanting out. Not to mention a whole bunch of other misfortunes along the way (Bishop, Ribiero, Kadri, etc). That's just the way it goes sometimes, especially in small markets where great players don't tend to want to go and/or don't want to stick around for very long.
Yeah Fox is a stinger. A top 4 offensive RHD who is expansion exempt and on his ELC. What a blow.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #118
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

The way I look at the Tkachuk/OJ pick now, is if we had taken Tkachuk, wouldnt have been in the spot to draft Petterson or Hughes
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #119
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The Canucks rebuild has had a lot of Good "bad luck". It's also had a lot of just good old fashioned good luck. Canucks win the lottery in the Pettersson draft, they don't take him. Hayton and Koktaniemi going up the board, allowing Hughes to drop. This doesn't even talk about getting Boeser in the late 1st round. Then they've also "hit" on some mid and late round picks in Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Hoglander. This has allowed questionable picks like Juolevi (who actually looked pretty good in his debut vs the Wild) who has been derailed by injuries and Virtanen to not completely #### it all up like Edmonton or Florida.

Then you factor in stuff like Horvat surpassing his expected "ceiling". The JT Miller deal working out better than anyone expected. Markstrom morphing into the goalie that it was expected he would be when drafted.

And through it all, despite their lean towards NCAA collegiate players, have yet to have one walk a la Fox.

And despite all this, despite some amazing drafting, a world class goalie and all these other things going right... it could still all be considered a bust if they don't make the play-offs consistently and make some noise.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #120
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Canucks rebuild has had a lot of Good "bad luck". It's also had a lot of just good old fashioned good luck. Canucks win the lottery in the Pettersson draft, they don't take him. Hayton and Koktaniemi going up the board, allowing Hughes to drop. This doesn't even talk about getting Boeser in the late 1st round. Then they've also "hit" on some mid and late round picks in Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, Hoglander. This has allowed questionable picks like Juolevi (who actually looked pretty good in his debut vs the Wild) who has been derailed by injuries and Virtanen to not completely #### it all up like Edmonton or Florida.

Then you factor in stuff like Horvat surpassing his expected "ceiling". The JT Miller deal working out better than anyone expected. Markstrom morphing into the goalie that it was expected he would be when drafted.

And through it all, despite their lean towards NCAA collegiate players, have yet to have one walk a la Fox.

And despite all this, despite some amazing drafting, a world class goalie and all these other things going right... it could still all be considered a bust if they don't make the play-offs consistently and make some noise.
Oh no, uh uh, no you di'nt!!