Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #481
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm personally invested in seeing Sam Bennett succeed, here, on the Flames.

I dont care about his current status and lack of production. Hes just the one player I've believed in for so long I can't just toss in the towel.

I fully 100 percent understand why people want him traded, think he is a bust. I truly do get it. He has invited the dissent for 3 years now. Perhaps he is best served with a fresh start on another team. But I personally cannot shake the belief that if this team can get deep into the promised land, he is going to be THE MAN who deals the deal for this team.

I cant shake it.

If he gets traded, life goes on and we will be left with what could have been, I really dont want that though. Hes my 3rd favorite player on the team.
My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett wants a fresh start elsewhere, but given how the majority of this team has struggled to perform in the playoffs, it'd be a real shame to move the one impact player we've had consistently impress when the games get their hardest.

But I'll understand if/when it happens.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #482
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Stash Bennett on the 4th line during the regular season and then unleash him in the playoffs.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #483
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Stash Bennett on the 4th line during the regular season and then unleash him in the playoffs.
I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #484
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
You’re already getting unleashed Bennett.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #485
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The idea of "unleashing" Bennett just makes me laugh at this point, if he's our secret weapon, we're doomed. Package up Bennett and Kognnt, and throw in Janko, get what you can.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #486
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Well I just don’t think we’d get much for him. He was the team’s best forward in the playoffs last season IIRC? Not that that’s saying much.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #487
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

A big part of it also has to be what value Bennett holds around the league. I'd imagine it's quite low, and realistically lower than the value Bennett brings the team when it comes to the playoffs.

I think Bennett has been our best even strength playoff player in all 4 rounds he's participated in. Sure that doesn't include large point totals (though only 1 point less than Gaudreau), or "high skill plays", but his aggressiveness of the forecheck, ability to cause chaos in front of the net, and deliver huge hits can certainly make a difference in a playoff game, series, and run overall.

I get the desire to move on from him by some fans. But realistically, if you only get a 2nd round pick for Sam Bennett, is it worth it? If he's a sweetener on a big trade (like he would have been for Taylor Hall), then I can see the benefit. I certainly don't want to dump him out of frustration, which is a thought that gets mentioned here occasionally.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #488
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
A big part of it also has to be what value Bennett holds around the league. I'd imagine it's quite low, and realistically lower than the value Bennett brings the team when it comes to the playoffs.

I think Bennett has been our best even strength playoff player in all 4 rounds he's participated in. Sure that doesn't include large point totals (though only 1 point less than Gaudreau), or "high skill plays", but his aggressiveness of the forecheck, ability to cause chaos in front of the net, and deliver huge hits can certainly make a difference in a playoff game, series, and run overall.

I get the desire to move on from him by some fans. But realistically, if you only get a 2nd round pick for Sam Bennett, is it worth it? If he's a sweetener on a big trade (like he would have been for Taylor Hall), then I can see the benefit. I certainly don't want to dump him out of frustration, which is a thought that gets mentioned here occasionally.
If you think you can get a piece and then around and flip that our e for something bigger I think there's a deal to be done there, but I agree you don't move him for the sake of it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #489
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The last 4 second round picks for the Flames are Dube, Parsons, Kylington and Andersson.

Goalies are and will probably always be a crapshoot, but would you trade any of the other three straight across for Bennett right now?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #490
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
The last 4 second round picks for the Flames are Dube, Parsons, Kylington and Andersson.

Goalies are and will probably always be a crapshoot, but would you trade any of the other three straight across for Bennett right now?
Ok, but the 2nd round picks before those 4:
Mason McDonald, Hunter Smith, Patrick Sieloff, Markus Granlund, and Tyler Wotherspoon.

If the Flames are shopping Bennett, I wouldn't move him for a 2nd round pick. Especially when we currently hold our 1st and 2nd picks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #491
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to these magical WOWY numbers, to rediscover "18 year old" Sam Bennett, we simply switch him with Dube.
And then, to create the best possible bottom six overall, dump Jankowski for Czarnik and have Dube play centre again. And we don't need to wait for a trade to make this happen.

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett
Reider-Dube-Czarnik

(taken as aggregate of this year's stats so far + last year's... the 'not-Gulutzan' years)

Bennett with Lucic / Ryan make each other better:

Lucic with Bennett: 56.3 CF%
Bennett without Lucic: 47.6 CF%
Lucic without Bennett: 51.4 CF%

Ryan with Bennett: 55.5 CF%
Bennett without Ryan: 51.9 CF%
Ryan without Bennett: 51.0 CF%

Dube works great with The Czar:

Czarnik with Dube: 70.6 CF%
Dube without Czarnik: 40.8 CF%
Czarnik without Dube: 55.5 CF%

Janko drags Bennett down, awful chemistry with Dube:

Janko with Bennett: 52.6 CF%
Bennett without Janko: 54.2 CF%
Janko without Bennett: 49.8 CF%

Janko with Dube: 42.5 CF%
Janko without Dube: 49.5 CF%
Dube without Janko: 47.6 CF%
Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #492
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mason McDonald, Hunter Smith, Patrick Sieloff, Markus Granlund, and Tyler Wotherspoon.

If the Flames are shopping Bennett, I wouldn't move him for a 2nd round pick. Especially when we currently hold our 1st and 2nd picks.
Agreed. Either move him in a package for a top 6 forward, move him for a young player that still has potential (JP) , or keep him.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #493
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You're smart enough to know who made those picks. Are you going to pretend a sutter/feaster pick is representative of a burke/treliving pick?

Hunter Smith is a good comparable for a second round pick?

Last edited by Jimdon; 01-23-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #494
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we still badly need that right shot RW to play with Johnny/Mony...

Backlund with Monahan: 47.5 CF%
Backlund without Monahan: 54.1 CF%
Monahan without Backlund: 53.9 CF%

Backlund with Gaudreau: 45.7 CF%
Backlund without Gaudreau: 54.6 CF%
Gaudreau without Backlund: 53.0 CF%
Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #495
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
You're smart enough to know who made those picks. Are you going to pretend a sutter/feaster pick is representative of a burke/treliving pick?

Hunter Smith is a good comparable for a second round pick?
Sam Bennett was also a Burke/Treliving pick. Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith too I guess.

Regardless, my point being that I don't think moving Bennett for a 2nd round pick makes sense for this team as it is structured. I think that would be poor asset management, and I suspect Treliving does as well.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #496
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bennett hasn't met expectations, but he's also been utilized poorly. His best attributes are his speed, two way play and compete.

His two way play would be better utilized if he actually played at center. And his speed would be better utilized if the flames best players and the players Bennett had been paired with weren't so slow.

The reason he does better in the playoffs is because the speed of the game picks up and the team around him is forced to play faster, which plays to his strength. And also because the refs put their whistle away, which allows Bennett to compete better.

I still think Bennett thrives on a fast team. He'd look great in Edmonton or Montreal or Toronto or Tampa or Colorado or Vegas
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #497
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sam Bennett was also a Burke/Treliving pick. Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith too I guess.

Regardless, my point being that I don't think moving Bennett for a 2nd round pick makes sense for this team as it is structured. I think that would be poor asset management, and I suspect Treliving does as well.
I can agree completely that trading roster players for picks doesnt make sense for a team that is in a win now mode, no question. But if you ask me what a player is realistically worth that is a different conversation.

A lot of posters weren't happy for the second round pick we got for Sven either, but look how that turned out. It just stings a little more cause Sam was our highest pick ever.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #498
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
And we still badly need that right shot RW to play with Johnny/Mony...

Backlund with Monahan: 47.5 CF%
Backlund without Monahan: 54.1 CF%
Monahan without Backlund: 53.9 CF%

Backlund with Gaudreau: 45.7 CF%
Backlund without Gaudreau: 54.6 CF%
Gaudreau without Backlund: 53.0 CF%
Are.these numbers just from this season?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #499
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I can agree completely that trading roster players for picks doesnt make sense for a team that is in a win now mode, no question. But if you ask me what a player is realistically worth that is a different conversation.
Worth/value is incredibly hard to figure out. Especially when you look at value across the league vs to that specific team.

Was Curtis Lazar worth a 2nd round pick for a reclamation? That's a really bad look now.

I suspect there would be a lot of teams that would eagerly trade a 2nd for Bennett, but I don't think Treliving would/should consider it because as I said originally, they view Bennett's worth to the Flames team as more significant than that.

My original question that you objected to was "If you only get a 2nd round pick for Sam Bennett, is it worth it?" For the 2019/2020 iteration of the Flames and for Brad Treliving, I think the answer is a strong no.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #500
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are.these numbers just from this season?
That post was for 5v5 on-ice events for 2018-19 season plus this season.

If I isolate just this season, it's basically the same story... break them up right the heck meow.

Gaudreau w/ Backs: 47.3 CF%
Backs w/o Gaudreau: 51.1 CF%
Gaudreau w/o Backs 52.5 CF%

Monahan w/ Backs: 46.4 CF%
Backs w/o Monahan: 51.5 CF%
Monahan w/o Backs: 51.7 CF%