Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 AM   #161
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hook in the first episode to TNG fans was very compelling and all kinds of awesome.

I'm really looking forward to this series.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:07 AM   #162
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You son of a Borg, I'm absorbed.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #163
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was really quite good. A couple of nitpicky things though. I thought it was rather convenient how any evidence of the entire fight where she was killed was just covered up and swept aside so quickly. Now this may be explained in a later episode so I still reserve judgement on that. The explosion itself really bugged me though, I don't care how advanced medical tech is, there's no way he wouldn't have either been killed outright getting thrown back like that, or ended up in the hospital. There's no damn way he just wakes up in his house after getting caught in a blast like that. It really stuck out because they were just showing him struggling up a flight of stairs a few moments before. That's all I could really find that bugged me about it though, and if those 2 things were what stuck out to me, then I'll take those kind of issues 10 times out of 10.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #164
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
You son of a Borg, I'm absorbed assimilated.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #165
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
You son of a Borg, I'm absorbed.

Well since the Borg are essentially a cannibalistic species, you have a point.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #166
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
The explosion itself really bugged me though, I don't care how advanced medical tech is, there's no way he wouldn't have either been killed outright getting thrown back like that, or ended up in the hospital. There's no damn way he just wakes up in his house after getting caught in a blast like that.
It was so over the top I thought after he woke up and said Dahj was dead, they'd be all, "who's Dahj", and then it'd turn out everything since the interview was another dream, or something. Seriously jarring and unnecessary.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #167
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discovery was so bad, Picard cannot be any worse.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #168
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It was so over the top I thought after he woke up and said Dahj was dead, they'd be all, "who's Dahj", and then it'd turn out everything since the interview was another dream, or something. Seriously jarring and unnecessary.
I’m not convinced everything is normal there too. Like that explosion was huge, it would’ve blown off half the roof of Starfleet Archives, and it’s just kind of hand waved away. I feel like we haven’t seen the last of Dahj, somehow.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #169
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I’m not convinced everything is normal there too. Like that explosion was huge, it would’ve blown off half the roof of Starfleet Archives, and it’s just kind of hand waved away. I feel like we haven’t seen the last of Dahj, somehow.
We already know there is no evidence of her in the aftermath. Of course we haven’t seen the last of her.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #170
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Discovery was so bad, Picard cannot be any worse.
Don't be so sure.

EP01 spoilers
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #171
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Don't be so sure.

EP01 spoilers
Who the hell would watch a review longer than the actual thing it's reviewing. By god.

Really enjoyable first episode.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #172
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed it more than I thought... Really enjoyed how star fleet and Picard have split as they opens a lot more narrative possibilities than the utopian future we've usually seen
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #173
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Who the hell would watch a review longer than the actual thing it's reviewing. By god.

Really enjoyable first episode.

I agree, that episode was terrific.

I get that these people are passionate about this stuff, and that's fine. But I honestly don't understand this desire to nitpick the crap out of every conceivable detail to the point where it sucks all the joy out of everything. Star Wars fans are obviously the worst when it comes to hate-watching their favorite franchise, but Trek fans are a close 2nd in that department. It's sad.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #174
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Episode 1 and I thought it was great. Honestly, finally some good Trek again.

That being said, it is my fondest wish for someone to somehow attach a lens-flaring device to the hood of their car and run JJ Abrams over with it.

If there is anything I'll never forgive him for its ruining Star Trek with gratuitous lens flare.

Burn in hell JJ you bastard! Damned Star Trek fans...you ruined Star Trek!

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone get why these modern Star Trek shows list like a Dozen different producers?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #175
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I agree, that episode was terrific.

I get that these people are passionate about this stuff, and that's fine. But I honestly don't understand this desire to nitpick the crap out of every conceivable detail to the point where it sucks all the joy out of everything. Star Wars fans are obviously the worst when it comes to hate-watching their favorite franchise, but Trek fans are a close 2nd in that department. It's sad.
Let's also remember these guys make a living nit-picking sci-fi shows/movies, and nothing gets more hits than Star Wars/Trek.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #176
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Don't be so sure.

EP01 spoilers
In fairness, these guys love Star Trek in its original iterations and ethos. I watched some of that and I understand their gripes.

In some cases they have a point that the show really doesnt adhere to what drew a lot of people to Star Trek in the first place, but I also think they dont give enough allowance for change. The thing is, this is supposed to be in a future where enough bad things have happened that adhering to this ideal of perfection is impossible.

Now its true that the show didnt really give a lot of reason as to why or explain that all that well, but they do have a couple of legitimate complaints primarily the Federations 'all of a sudden' inexplicable racism, which Picard addresses directly as an issue but without a reason or development. I assume thats coming.

That being said, its the first episode. Its like judging the entire story by the author's foreword.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a few city overhead shots with flying cars all over the place. It made me wonder, I assume they just use transporters to go everywhere? Picard was all over the place, but they didn't show him transporting.

You would also think at that point in the future everyone would have an emergency button you could just hit and be transported to a safe space, should killer dudes in black pop up and try to kill you.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #178
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There were a few city overhead shots with flying cars all over the place. It made me wonder, I assume they just use transporters to go everywhere? Picard was all over the place, but they didn't show him transporting.

You would also think at that point in the future everyone would have an emergency button you could just hit and be transported to a safe space, should killer dudes in black pop up and try to kill you.

He's old, he probably forgot it at home with his wallet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #179
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In fairness, these guys love Star Trek in its original iterations and ethos. I watched some of that and I understand their gripes.

In some cases they have a point that the show really doesnt adhere to what drew a lot of people to Star Trek in the first place, but I also think they dont give enough allowance for change. The thing is, this is supposed to be in a future where enough bad things have happened that adhering to this ideal of perfection is impossible.

Now its true that the show didnt really give a lot of reason as to why or explain that all that well, but they do have a couple of legitimate complaints primarily the Federations 'all of a sudden' inexplicable racism, which Picard addresses directly as an issue but without a reason or development. I assume thats coming.

That being said, its the first episode. Its like judging the entire story by the author's foreword.
This exactly. Same with most of the complaints about Discovery. For a lot of people, the issue boils down to "it's not TNG season 8 therefore it sucks." For those people, it's going to suck because they aren't willing to embrace the idea that media can explore new directions.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #180
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan boys and hardcore fans are the worst thing to happen to pop culture since the beginning of time.

The Last Jedi was probably the best of the new trilogy but dorks got all butthurt because it explored the possibility that maybe the Jedi aren't all "good".

freakin' nerds.