Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Richest local you know

So I was laid off from my job today! So to sarcastically celebrate lets talk about lots of money! To play, just mention the wealthiest local you know, and what they do? Do they have their own company or climbed the corporate ladder to become an executive? Local can be any Albertan, but we can say any Canadian for this.

I'll start, one of my brother's best friends is a home builder and he is one of those fancy infill custom home builders that have been building $1M+ infills in this city for years! I forgot the name of the company However man drives a Audi R8 and has a mansion in Springbank!

Another would be one of my girl friends father sits on the executive team of Husky! Loads of money (hopefully he keeps his job with the recent buyout). They also have a mansion on the outskirts of the city.

Does anyone know anyone who has one of those ridiculously nice homes on the ridge of Crescent Heights?

Cheers! I hope everyone has a better day than I did today! Happy Holidays!
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid played hockey with Robyn Regehr's kid. They are pretty rich. He also played hockey with the family who owns Peter's Drive In. They are pretty rich. I know a couple doctors who operate their own clinics and medical establishments and they are really rich.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am RichieRich, but not "rich".

Still looking for work...
To answer your question, a friend has "stealth wealth" (the best kind of wealth). Don't know how much but he was a founder at a company that was bought out years ago and he hasn't had to work at all since then (but stays plenty busy), and has travelled extensively and had many awesome adventures with his long-time woman. The friend is totally laid back, not flashy at all or nor flaunts it, still drives an older vehicle, very modest. Total respect for the guy. He earned it.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Probably Ian MacGregor.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would guess that one of the parents of one of the kids I went to school with was the richest local I ever knew. A bunch of them were hedge fund managers, presidents, CEOs and such.

A cousins' spouse's father was a senior VP at a major oil company with offices in Calgary and Texas, so... not really a local, even if he lived here for ~15 years. Made mad stacks in the 2000s. Nice guy, very humble.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

My family knows the Hon family, and they had showed up at a dinner party at my parent's house once in a Rolls Royce, which was pretty cool...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #7
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
My family knows the Hon family, and they had showed up at a dinner party at my parent's house once in a Rolls Royce, which was pretty cool...
This is the family that built the Guardian towers I believe? And the son is in the penthouse? Crazy money
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 PM   #8
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post
This is the family that built the Guardian towers I believe? And the son is in the penthouse? Crazy money
Yep, and the one who built that monster mansion with like a 50-stall garage out by Bragg Creek...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/massive-m...gary-1.1842534

But I haven't been there yet...I suppose I will never get invited...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:30 AM   #9
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know a few people that are crazy wealthy. I would have to say the one with the most would probably be Guy Turcotte. It’s kind of funny that someone who owns a few nice golf courses is a member at the Vernon golf club but with that much money why not have a membership for your lake house. Super nice guy when dealing with him at the course and you would never guess he was that wealthy, helikes golfing in the early morning and walks with a carry bag, I can respect that.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:03 AM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, and the one who built that monster mansion with like a 50-stall garage out by Bragg Creek...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/massive-m...gary-1.1842534

But I haven't been there yet...I suppose I will never get invited...
Neat part from that article

Quote:
Others on chatboards and social media have marveled at its size. A post on the Calgarypuck forum, “Flabbibulin” says it’s, “the biggest bloody house I have ever seen!,” while “OzyFlame” dubbed it, “overly hedonistic,” and “jaydorn” asks, “That's a house?! Drove by there last month and just thought it was a weird place for a hotel/condos. But a single family home?”
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:49 AM   #11
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say I "know" him, but I played a season of beer league hockey with Nick Hon and had no clue who he was, until one game I arrived at the same time, and he was driving a super expensive SUV. I had to ask my buddy who ran the team, who he was.
Nice enough guy, and clearly pretty humble about his wealth, at least on the ice and in the locker room.

Outside of that, growing up, my best friend's dad was good friends with the owner of Beattie Homes. I spent many summers ripping out to Inveremere in the newest BMWs with him, although that's not even close to the level of wealth that we're really talking about in this thread, I think.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My dad worked at an oil tools manufacturing shop and when I was in high school he got me a job there as an after school gig. I worked in the shop doing odd jobs and cleaning things up and what not. I was talking with one of machinists at one point who was a young guy in his 20s. He told me about the time a couple years prior when his grandpa died who was apparently pretty wealthy. When he died he obviously split up his wealth amongst his family and surprisingly he left that machinists a Rolls Royce in his will. He said it was the most ridiculous thing ever because the guy could barely afford insurance for it and had no business driving a Rolls. He drove it to work a few times and parked beside his bosses and Management just for laughs. He had to sell it as it made no sense to keep it but he said it was something he would never forget.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Hon lived in Arriva when I was there, was up in one of the penthouse units. Had 4-6 parking spots and would rotate the vehicles based on the season. Summer was a Ferrari (and a Lambo I think) and some other really unique sports cars. Winter time the Land Rover and Rolls Royce would be in rotation.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-18-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is OP planning a heist? Don't do it!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is OP planning a heist? Don't do it!
You sonofabitch. I’m in!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Neat part from that article
Hmmm, in retrospect I would have guessed more than 11,000 sq ft. Quite a few in the Calgary area that are bigger
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of sneaky rich folks out there too. I had a guy come in to give his daughter a $600k cheque, some kind of school money or something I cant recall. She was going to University and this was her spending money essentially.

Also had a 'rich' uncle when I was a kid, but turns out giving me $20 and some gun doesn't actually make him rich.

Last edited by 8sPOT; 12-20-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Poor taste post
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by SportsJunky; 12-18-2020 at 11:56 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad Shaw was my son's first hockey coach. Had no idea who he was for 95% of the season . very low key.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My kid played hockey with Robyn Regehr's kid. They are pretty rich. He also played hockey with the family who owns Peter's Drive In. They are pretty rich. I know a couple doctors who operate their own clinics and medical establishments and they are really rich.
just clarifying that while these specific examples may well be true, Robyn Regehr is in truth (unless he's made some blunders along the way) definitely richer than most doctors
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote