Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #401
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Are you saying the Calgary Police are peddling fake news?

You mean the supposed "spike" report that Peter12 asked for a link to 4 pages ago and has yet to appear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #402
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
That's good - I'm truly glad she feels safe. I'm saying that I wouldn't personally feel safe living or working by a SIS, and that's okay. I'm pointing out that it's okay to have NIMBY-ism regarding places like this without being labelled as someone who just doesn't give a #### about addicts. There are lots of legitimate concerns.
There aren't any legitimate concerns. No one in this thread has mounted a convincing case beyond some minor anecdotal experience.

As Psychnet said, there is far more risk a person goes through by being around a major roadway, yet almost no opposition to the existence of cars.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #403
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Except safety isn't really one of them. Anecdotally or statistically.
How can you think that tangible increased crime doesn't have anything to do with safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Just had a quick look at the Lethbridge Crime Map.
The SIS opened March 1, 2018, the crime map was able to provide information back to August 2017. So I choose the six months leading up to the opening, and then the 3 six months segments since they've been open. I looked at approximately an 8 block area, East of Stafford Drive, to 12A Street, and South of Highway 3, to 3rd Ave.

Prior to the SIS opening, in that area these are the number of reported crimes in the following Categories:

Assault: 16
Sexual Offenses: 0
Theft (Including from vehicles): 28
Weapons: 0
Disorder: 44
Drug/Alcohol: 6

A total of 94 related crimes.

in the 3 six months segments to follow, here are the numbers in the same categories:

Assault: 24 - 19 - 14
Sexual Offenses: 5 - 6 - 4

Theft (Including from vehicles): 103 - 83 - 50
Weapons: 4 - 10 - 6
Disorder: 199 - 228 - 188
Drug/Alcohol: 87 - 47 - 55

Total related charges:
1st segment: 422 - 348.94% Increase in related crimes
2nd segment: 393 - 318.09% Increase in related crimes
3rd segment: 317 - 237.23% Increase in related crimes
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #404
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
There aren't any legitimate concerns. No one in this thread has mounted a convincing case beyond some minor anecdotal experience.

As Psychnet said, there is far more risk a person goes through by being around a major roadway, yet almost no opposition to the existence of cars.
See my previous post. Increased crime is absolutely a legitimate concern.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #405
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
See my previous post. Increased crime is absolutely a legitimate concern.
Not really. I think there is some concern about car break-ins, but as is the case in Vancouver, most of the crime is within the street-entrenched community.

Crime can also be mitigated by increased foot patrols. Homelessness can be mitigated through affordable housing.

These problems won't go away just because their presence makes you uncomfortable.

Vancouver has had decades of looking the other way when it came to the city's opioid epidemic, and look where it has gotten them.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #406
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been listed in the thread already, but here's the Calgary Police Report:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1559446857

Follow up reporting just a few days ago:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-police-report

Despite an increased police presence surrounding Calgary’s only supervised drug consumption site, crime and disorder in the immediate area appear to still be on the rise this year, newly released statistics show.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #407
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's been listed in the thread already, but here's the Calgary Police Report:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1559446857

Follow up reporting just a few days ago:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-police-report

Despite an increased police presence surrounding Calgary’s only supervised drug consumption site, crime and disorder in the immediate area appear to still be on the rise this year, newly released statistics show.
I swear to sweet baby jeezus most people don't read these reports.

This report is about a 250 m zone around the SIS. The vast majority of calls were to do with the following:
"Unwanted guests, suspicious persons and checks on welfare were the most frequent types of calls."

Yeah, a lot of needle stabbings. As stated, violence is almost minimal.

Increases in break-ins were part of an overall trend upwards across the City Centre, and vehicular break-ins actually decreased.

So you are still wrong.

EDIT: HA if you go back through the historical data, crime has increased in recent quarters but is still lower for most types of crime across the City Centre than it was in 2016! It just looks like certain types of crime (such as drug use) have increased in - surprise, surprise - the 250 m zone around the SIS.

Last edited by peter12; 08-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #408
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not really. I think there is some concern about car break-ins, but as is the case in Vancouver, most of the crime is within the street-entrenched community.

Crime can also be mitigated by increased foot patrols. Homelessness can be mitigated through affordable housing.

These problems won't go away just because their presence makes you uncomfortable.

Vancouver has had decades of looking the other way when it came to the city's opioid epidemic, and look where it has gotten them.
This I agree with. The spike in Assaults and Sexual Assaults are likely almost 100% within the SIS user group. However, that is also highly likely, because non users now avoid what was once a busy commercial area.
Surrounding businesses are suffering because customers no longer want to go to those areas, as when you do, you're likely to witness things that make you uncomfortable, and possibly unsafe. Just because the spike is within the user group, doesn't mean it's safe for others to just casually stroll through without second thought.
I frequent the sports store a half block away from the SIS in Lethbridge, and I know I have personally changed my routine when doing so. In the past, I'd take my young son, go in, drop off skates for sharpening, wander around checking things out, and spend anywhere from 30-90 minutes in the store.
Now, after I've had my vehicle broken into twice in the parking lot while I was in the store with my son, and having him witness people overdosing on the curbs, shooting up, and getting into fights, I now stop in, drop off skates, head to the mall or run other errands, swing back to the sports store, run in, grab my skates and head out. My son doesn't even want to come with me anymore, and I don't blame him.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #409
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea as to the level of usage at the Lethbridge injection site. Over 600 visits a day on average and one of the busiest year over year rates in the world!

It definitely sounds like a unique policy failure and a good reminder that harm reduction services need to be implemented with properly and sustainably funded housing and other treatment options.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #410
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ce-2017-report

Hope I linked this right.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #411
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, that is outstanding. And we can't lose sight of the fact that this is the point of safe injection sites.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #412
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

100% success rate. Incredible
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #413
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who actually has skin in the game and own a property that is in direct view of the Chumir, all I am going to say is that I did not oppose the SIS being in the Chumir. I did however feel it was frustrating to be brushed off when certain concerns started mounting and I am really damn frustrated in how the local community has been treated since the opening of the SIS. I don't know about the violence worries, but property damage and trespassing are very real things. Then, there's the worries that it would snowball from there.

The surrounding community essentially accepted the SIS with open arms, but once certain things transpired and a request (generally reasonably requests too) to tweak a few things for harmony for the community and SIS were straight up rejected, I think more and more people in the community are straight up angry with the way the SIS has been handled.

I'm not going to defend my opinion more than that. It's not a hill I'm going to die on. I've put in other comments earlier in this thread, it really hasn't changed much. Call me a NIMBY, I don't care. But this is something actively happening right now, not something that hasn't happened yet and a few vocal individuals are trying to railroad it.

The SIS is necessary. I get that. There was going to be a change, I and others in the area get that. But being made to feel like we're bad people because we wanted a way to co-exist in a more harmonious manner with the SIS is complete BS (a little more police presence, a solution to try and reduce the litter in the area etc.). That's probably why there are a ton of people who supported the SIS at first straight up want it gone from the Chumir. It's far less about the SIS itself than the annoyance of the lack of help and straight up ignoring of the voices from the surrounding community from the Province/City/CPS.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #414
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I swear to sweet baby jeezus most people don't read these reports.

This report is about a 250 m zone around the SIS. The vast majority of calls were to do with the following:
"Unwanted guests, suspicious persons and checks on welfare were the most frequent types of calls."

Yeah, a lot of needle stabbings. As stated, violence is almost minimal.

Increases in break-ins were part of an overall trend upwards across the City Centre, and vehicular break-ins actually decreased.

So you are still wrong.

EDIT: HA if you go back through the historical data, crime has increased in recent quarters but is still lower for most types of crime across the City Centre than it was in 2016! It just looks like certain types of crime (such as drug use) have increased in - surprise, surprise - the 250 m zone around the SIS.

The crime stats from the area look good because there's a consistent police presence that wasn't there before serving as a deterrent. You can't just read stats from a report in a bubble and not consider how much more of the city's CPS budgets are now dedicated to maintaining a presence in these areas. Obviously it would be an entirely different story if the police expenditure on that area was the same as it was before the site was launched, which is most certainly not the case at all.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-27-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #415
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Holy heck, Lethbridge!

Quote:
between January 2018 and March this year. Lethbridge has seen the most visits, totalling more than 188,100
If we presume that's counting the most number of days, from January 1st 2018 to March 31st 2019, that's 454 days...

That's 414 visits per day, every day...

That's 17 people per hour, every hour...

That's one person less than every 4 minutes...

There are probably coffee shops that would probably kill (excuse the pun) for that kind of traffic...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #416
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The surrounding community essentially accepted the SIS with open arms, but once certain things transpired and a request (generally reasonably requests too) to tweak a few things for harmony for the community and SIS were straight up rejected, I think more and more people in the community are straight up angry with the way the SIS has been handled.
I'd actually like to hear more about this if someone has any info? What were the concerns, and what was the response in more detail? My understanding is that police presence has increased in the area. But this post seems to suggest otherwise?
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #417
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's very simple. There are people who accept changes in their neighbourhood and people who don't.
Right, so belittling those who are now afraid to walk alone in their community or have had to deal with dangerous and frightening encounters (even once) is the way to function as a society now? Sorry, but I don't subscribe to that notion at all.

You decide to open a facility like this in a community, you better be ready to work with all sides to make sure it has the least amount of impact on the community and operates in the most effective manner - for all parties.

The general (and mostly unaffected) population has no right to make residents of these communities feel in the wrong for voicing concerns relating to SIS.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #418
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Right, so belittling those who are now afraid to walk alone in their community or have had to deal with dangerous and frightening encounters (even once) is the way to function as a society now? Sorry, but I don't subscribe to that notion at all.

You decide to open a facility like this in a community, you better be ready to work with all sides to make sure it has the least amount of impact on the community and operates in the most effective manner - for all parties.

The general (and mostly unaffected) population has no right to make residents of these communities feel in the wrong for voicing concerns relating to SIS.
I've lived in neighbourhoods like this - some of them far worse so put your violin away.

There is nothing wrong with community members seeking to work with the facility, police, and the street-entrenched community to find solutions that help everyone. In fact, that is what often leads to success.

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, those solutions are untenable unless the facility is moved or put under such inconvenient restrictions that it would be impossible for staff to fulfill the facility's mandate.

As reports from both Edmonton and Calgary demonstrate, local impacts are minimal and still remain below historical trends. There may be some increased impact in Calgary within the 250 m zone around the Safe Injection Site, but almost none within the surrounding area.

Lethbridge seems to be facing an entirely different type of problem and I am not equipped with enough information to make any kind of judgement.

But when it comes to Calgary and Edmonton, the complaints are not worth the overall successful impact of the safe injection sites and complaintants would be better off working with city and provincial officials to mitigate impacts.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #419
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

NIMBYS are the most delightful people.

Quote:
Just past midnight last Saturday, a white Dodge Ram pickup truck drove past the ARCHES consumption site at 1016 First Avenue South and fired multiple paintballs at staff and clients, striking a female employee and prompting everyone to drop to the ground and hide behind vehicles.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...site-1.5260753
Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #420
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NIMBYS are the most delightful people.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...site-1.5260753
Dude, come off it. Sometimes people arent NIMBYs as you so love the term, sometimes things are just not working out.

On one hand you extol the virtues of cooperation between the City, the Facility and the Neighborhood and then on the other immediately dismiss the validity of the concerns of residents as just labeling them NIMBYs.

First of all, at the moment I propose a peter12 exclusive moratorium on the term NIMBY for at least a month. You have to let your Teddy Bear go.

Secondly, I think its perfectly reasonable to expect residents to have valid issues and concerns about the Safe Injection Site without labeling them NIMBYs.

Its already in their backyard. Now they're trying to come up with compromises and solutions to make it easier to live with. Thats not unreasonable but some people are just closing their eyes, plugging their ears and having a tantrum while screaming 'NIMBYs' as though that somehow invalidates legitimate concerns.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: