Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #201
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.co...hershey-bears/

Sonny Milano was "loaned" to the Hershey Bears. How does this work since he signed a 1-way contract with the caps? https://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?id=6710
He cleared waivers
Old 10-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #202
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If they had full knowledge I'd agree.

If they didn't know how much pain he was in it would be tough to say the same though.
I think they had to know.

Wasn't it Gaudreau talking after the season in 19-20 that Monahan could barely walk to the rink, and was having trouble sleeping at night?

If Gaudreau knew then it's the training staffs job to know too.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #203
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is there zero communication between player-trainer-doctor-coach?

Seems ridiculous that it took that freaking long for repairs.
I recall a comment in the past how Monahan would hid his injuries from coaches and management. It's likely because he didn't want to miss extensive time.

Fingers shouldn't be pointed at the Flames for a situation like this. It should be pointed at all of hockey. It is a hockey culture thing. Don't get hurt but if you do play through the pain and be the hero. Players, fans, coaches, media, managers, etc. have turned players who play injured into heroes.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #204
Stuntman Mike
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I blame the team for that. He should have had the surgery on both hips after the 18-19 season, or the latest the 19-20 season.

Instead they just kept trotting him out there because he was willing to play through the pain.
The injured Monahan situation has always bothered me. For the last number of years it was plain as day he was playing injured, and yet he kept playing and underperforming. This wasn't helping the team or the player.

Who was making this decision?
Stuntman Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuntman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 02:22 PM   #205
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I think they had to know.

Wasn't it Gaudreau talking after the season in 19-20 that Monahan could barely walk to the rink, and was having trouble sleeping at night?

If Gaudreau knew then it's the training staffs job to know too.
Honestly I agree with you.

But from a distance I just can't say that I know they knew. Telling your matching dog buddy and telling the training staff aren't the same thing.

Chances are they were aware he was hurt, but didn't know the full extent because he was sitting on some info (in my opinion)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:38 PM   #206
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I agree with you.

But from a distance I just can't say that I know they knew. Telling your matching dog buddy and telling the training staff aren't the same thing.

Chances are they were aware he was hurt, but didn't know the full extent because he was sitting on some info (in my opinion)
OK but his performance was declining rapidly for more than one season. Are the trainers that dumb that they couldn't put two and two together?

Any way you slice it, this is on the hockey team IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #207
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK but his performance was declining rapidly for more than one season. Are the trainers that dumb that they couldn't put two and two together?

I agree. That Athletic article had a reference to it "still being the player's choice whether to play" across the league, but IMO that's total bull####. The coach gets to decide the lines and which players dress. If the trainers and doctors are all saying this guy is too injured and should be sitting, and the coach/ management decide to listen to the injured player instead, that still remains an organizational fault and an issue with the club.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #208
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not saying no one knew he was hurt.

That's pretty obvious he had surgeries every year.

But it's certainly possible he kept the extent of it to himself. That's it. All I'm saying.

Also possible that they knew fully what was going on and made the decision to limp through it.

Trying hard to understand why a team would do that though? Guy is on the decline and you know he needs full on surgery to shut the whole mess down, but you decline because you think the declining player is too important to the now?

Possible I guess.

But a few reaches in there.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #209
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is little to no chance that Monahan wanted surgery but the Flames didn't. FAR more likely that the player didn't want surgery and to miss a season. And if the player keeps telling them that he is okay, that is going to rule the day for a while at least
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #210
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying no one knew he was hurt.

That's pretty obvious he had surgeries every year.

But it's certainly possible he kept the extent of it to himself. That's it. All I'm saying.

Also possible that they knew fully what was going on and made the decision to limp through it.

Trying hard to understand why a team would do that though? Guy is on the decline and you know he needs full on surgery to shut the whole mess down, but you decline because you think the declining player is too important to the now?

Possible I guess.

But a few reaches in there.
Chris Tanev played meaningless games at the end of the season a couple years ago with broken ribs.

Personally I don’t trust that this team is making the right decisions on when to shut these guys down and let them heal.

Think They are deffering to the “players want to play” excuse too much, you need to save these guys from themselves sometimes

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-25-2022 at 03:16 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #211
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Chris Tanev played meaningless games at the end of the season a couple years ago with broken ribs.

Personally I don’t trust that this team is making the right decisions on when to shut these guys down and let them heal.

Think They are deffering to the “players want to play” excuse too much, you need to save these guys from themselves sometimes
Right, but I think what you are describing is not a "Flames medical staff and hockey opperations" issue, it is a NHL and hockey culture issue. I think we would all welcome a change to how players injuries are dealt with, but I suspect it is incredibly difficult for an individual team to set policies in that regard. Change will only come when the League and the PA insist on it.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #212
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

While we're on the topic of Monahan — I did up a little thing here outlining just how much of a win-win the Kadri/Monahan swap has been for everyone.

https://flamesnation.ca/news/sean-mo...calgary-flames

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #213
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I blame the team for that. He should have had the surgery on both hips after the 18-19 season, or the latest the 19-20 season.

Instead they just kept trotting him out there because he was willing to play through the pain.
If the team knew, they would have placed him on the IR and made a move at last seasons trade deadline.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tony-soprano For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #214
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #215
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Narrator: Those kids didn't cheer loud enough.

Not sure what's happening in Florida -- Tkachuk is putting up good numbers on the second line but Barkov and Reinhart still haven't scored a goal this year. Florida is also 30th in the NHL in Powerplay %...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #216
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
While we're on the topic of Monahan — I did up a little thing here outlining just how much of a win-win the Kadri/Monahan swap has been for everyone.

https://flamesnation.ca/news/sean-mo...calgary-flames
There should be little doubt that Monny will get a big ovation from the crowd when he returns to the Saddledome on Dec 1st!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #217
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Not sure what's happening in Florida -- Tkachuk is putting up good numbers on the second line but Barkov and Reinhart still haven't scored a goal this year. Florida is also 30th in the NHL in Powerplay %...
I’d be happy if those two just continue to do what they did here. Great individual success and no team success. Not that either really came through for us consistently when it counted anyways.
Kasi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #218
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I’d be happy if those two just continue to do what they did here. Great individual success and no team success. Not that either really came through for us consistently when it counted anyways.
I agree with the overall sentiment, buuuut... Gaudreau did score the OT goal vs ANA get us back in that series (2-1 vs 3-0) as well as the OT goal in Game 7 vs Dallas to send us to the next round.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

All being masked by their soft schedule so far
Old 10-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #220
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I agree with the overall sentiment, buuuut... Gaudreau did score the OT goal vs ANA get us back in that series (2-1 vs 3-0) as well as the OT goal in Game 7 vs Dallas to send us to the next round.
Sure and then did nothing against Edmonton. My lasting memory of him is sadly not going to be the corner shot pass Oettinger but the time where he was in perfect position to either shadow or check Draisatl and instead he just curled back up the blue line and 3 seconds later McDavid has the puck and it’s going in our net.
Kasi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreau , gudbranson , legend of sam bennett , monahan , tkachuk