Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #301
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If that's the case, then I'm going to avoid the place altogether. Unless I want overpriced beer and food and exceptionally terrible service.

Pig and Duke it is. They've gone up in price in the last bit but at least their food is good and their beer selection is great.
This boggles my mind.

Ceilis is average food with good prices and good service. Pig and Duke is awful food with way over priced beer.

Last edited by Weitz; 06-11-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #302
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This boggles my mind.

Ceilis is average food with good prices and good service. Pig and Duke is awful food with way over priced beer.
To each their own- food aside, pig and duke has a good craft beer selection and more importantly- practices good sanitation on their beer lines- the latter of which is completely overlooked by most. The Calgary Best Pubs chain for example has a decent selection of beer, but it always seems to taste awful thanks to dirty beer lines. Anyway, Im happy to pay a little extra for the selection and quality control.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #303
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Pig and Duke wings, and their fish tacos aren't bad. And I had a great bown of chowder there one time. Although to be fair I'm going off the 12th ave location.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #304
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestand View Post
I tried the duck sub this morning. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe I am not a regular so I did not get the good stuff. I found the duck old and dry, like it had been sitting around drying out for a day.

I would rather get a 1/4 duck lunchbox for $2 more from BBQ Express if I am looking for duck.

I would have to agree the service at Trung Ngyuen was very friendly.
I tried the sate duck sub today and it was super yummy. Not dry at all, tons of flavour, actually was a bit more heat than I prefer, but wasn't unbearable. Will try again!
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #305
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
I tried the sate duck sub today and it was super yummy. Not dry at all, tons of flavour, actually was a bit more heat than I prefer, but wasn't unbearable. Will try again!
I will try it again.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #306
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
Well we had completely different experiences at Ten Foot Henry, so I will continue to rave about this restaurant and their food. Local ingredients, simple food with great flavours.
I love that place, had the beats, the grilled broccoli which were both fantastic. The tuna was good, I wasn't a big fan of the chicken. The potatoes were good too. Then the butterscotch pudding for desert.

Overall really good food. I found it reasonably priced relative to the rest of the Calgary food market.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #307
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Voodoo Lounge on 16th ave and 6th st NW has been undergoing renovations. This morning I rode by and they have the sign up. It's called, uh... Getto Boys. Pretty sure there was no 'h". That is a stellar name. I am sure they will attract a diverse clientele.

Their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/gettoboysyyc/
Funny that their logo looks all jovial. The font on the front of the building looks like a night club.

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-23-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #308
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went back to Full Circle last Friday, and holy god their octopus pizza is amazing. The oysters are so damn fresh for a land locked city. I swear they were better/as good as the ones I had in Halifax a few weeks back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #309
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been meaning to mention this for a while, but Heaven's artisan gf cuisine on 17th ave is pretty darn good. A lot of people might be turned off by the gluten free part, but that is a little deceiving- they aren't a diner or cafe trying to make GF western dishes as much as a Venezuelan place that just doesn't have any gluten to begin with. Was very impressed by food and service. I think the go to dish is called an Arepa- which was unreal.

But ya, if you or a family member are celiac anyway, not a single thing on the menu has gluten I guess.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #310
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Been meaning to mention this for a while, but Heaven's artisan gf cuisine on 17th ave is pretty darn good. A lot of people might be turned off by the gluten free part, but that is a little deceiving- they aren't a diner or cafe trying to make GF western dishes as much as a Venezuelan place that just doesn't have any gluten to begin with. Was very impressed by food and service. I think the go to dish is called an Arepa- which was unreal.

But ya, if you or a family member are celiac anyway, not a single thing on the menu has gluten I guess.
Ya, heaven is very good. Gluten free is just a bonus!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #311
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Ya the Tres Leches vanilla cake might have been one of the best local restaurant desserts I've ever had, gluten or not.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #312
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So the Voodoo Lounge on 16th ave and 6th st NW has been undergoing renovations. This morning I rode by and they have the sign up. It's called, uh... Getto Boys. Pretty sure there was no 'h". That is a stellar name. I am sure they will attract a diverse clientele.

Their facebook page.
Funny that their logo looks all jovial. The font on the front of the building looks like a night club.
I wonder if Bushwick Bill is on board with all this...
Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #313
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Anyone been to Regrub? The GF wants to go tonight and I wanted some opinions.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #314
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Anyone been to Regrub? The GF wants to go tonight and I wanted some opinions.
I like it. Great burgers
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #315
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just random one-line reviews from dinners in the last month:

Alloy - very good: now has edible dessets
Sky 360 - god awful
La Brezza - still excellent
Caesar's (south) - super - get the tableside prepared caesar salad, as well as the chateaubriand

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #316
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone tried trolley 5 yet? I guess they opened this week. The old melrose had some of the worst food.. not sure how this place will stack up
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #317
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Anyone tried trolley 5 yet? I guess they opened this week. The old melrose had some of the worst food.. not sure how this place will stack up
I went on Thursday at lunchtime. They seemed to be working out kinks still - I ordered the Hefeweizen on the menu, but they said it wasn't ready yet. I ordered a chicken burger with salad and cornbread but they ran out of cornbread, so I ended up with fries. Overall, the food was good, but I did find the menu a bit schizophrenic. A bit of Asian food, a bit of southern Louisiana/BBQ, pizzas, west coast salmon.... The server I got said I was her first customer - she'd never been a server before. Overall, she was good, except she took my beer before I finished drinking it (after I'd paid the bill). I'm not much of a beer drinker, I had the pale ale and thought it was fine, so hopefully someone else can weigh in on the quality of the beer.

tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #318
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eat the smoked turkey at Hayden Block - you'll thank me later. Just a terrific bbq place.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #319
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Their facebook page.
being where they are on 16th and 6th st, they already attract that type of client, kinda

so long as they keep their wing menu, i dont really care what they call it now.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #320
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Has anyone else tried this new Ice cream place called "Made by Marcus" on 17th ave?

My wife was there last night with her friends and wouldn't stop talking how good the ice cream there and wants me to check it out. Apparently they make their own stuff like Village.

I dont really go that side of 17th and im quite happy with usual Village ice cream trips
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business