Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #161
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, I grew up living next to Spruce Meadows and I managed to make it up to McMahon for Stamps games all the time, if it's entertaining its worth the commute, I would hope the people who live up at McMahon would think the same for coming down south. It's a spectacular location and I'm glad there is a field down south besides Calgary Rugby Union.

300,000 people live south of Anderson road, hopefully even if people don't want to commute from way up North, good promotion could get 5,000-10,000 of those people to come out for 14 games a summer.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #162
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
To be clear, the 2019 season in Halifax will be a temporary arrangement, then after the conclusion of the season, the City and the CPL will review the success of the location and possibly extend the Wanderers Grounds by 2 more years (I believe). If they extend it, they will erect a more permanent structure. That's my understanding of the arrangement.
Sort of. Back when everyone was hoping the league would launch in 2018 Sports & Entertainment Atlantic (SEA) signed a three-year lease with the city for use of the Wanderer's Grounds with an option to renew for a second three-year term.

Since the league isn't starting this year the terms of the lease had to be adjusted. Now there's a one-year test happening this summer with a handful of rugby and soccer matches happening. The three-year lease will now kick in next year, assuming everything from this test year works out fine.

I think six seasons of professional soccer will be enough for both SEA and the HRM to determine if they want to build something more permanent on the Wanderer's Grounds or look somewhere else.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #163
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
It's almost as if the league is purpose-built with easy excuses to dismantle itself once CONCACAF's Canadian president gets his (1/8th or whatever it is of a) World Cup party.
So you're saying you think the league is specifically structured in a way that cause it to collapse almost immediately? Why?

Another perspective would be to recognize that travel is simply the reality of any league in Canada.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #164
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Sort of. Back when everyone was hoping the league would launch in 2018 Sports & Entertainment Atlantic (SEA) signed a three-year lease with the city for use of the Wanderer's Grounds with an option to renew for a second three-year term.

Since the league isn't starting this year the terms of the lease had to be adjusted. Now there's a one-year test happening this summer with a handful of rugby and soccer matches happening. The three-year lease will now kick in next year, assuming everything from this test year works out fine.

I think six seasons of professional soccer will be enough for both SEA and the HRM to determine if they want to build something more permanent on the Wanderer's Grounds or look somewhere else.
I don't know if Halifax will succeed, but the business plan SEA has is perfect. Pop up stadium in the heart of the city. If this doesn't work, nothing will.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #165
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
So you're saying you think the league is specifically structured in a way that cause it to collapse almost immediately? Why?

Another perspective would be to recognize that travel is simply the reality of any league in Canada.
Because it's the bare minimum needed to appease FIFA to get coronated a world cup. Once the party is over and FIFA finds a new host nation to exploit they're not going to give a damn about the CPL and the fundamentally nonsensical math of its structure is an easy excuse to bail out. Chalk it up as another long line of failed attempts people will forget even happened.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #166
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Sun seems to be in favour of the Spruce Meadows development. As long as 5-7k people find the location convenient enough to buy tickets, it's good enough for me.

http://calgarysun.com/opinion/editor...res-a-goooooal

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #167
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The Calgary Sun seems to be in favour of the Spruce Meadows development. As long as 5-7k people find the location convenient enough to buy tickets, it's good enough for me.

http://calgarysun.com/opinion/editor...res-a-goooooal
More like Calgary FC paid the Calgary Sun to write a favourable article. I've worked in media. There is no such thing as opinion pieces anymore. Most things are paid for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #168
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If one was a guessing man how much do you think tickets would be?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #169
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I'm almost surely going to buy seasons tickets. I'm actually pretty excited about this and despite a lot of people thinking that the stadium is too far, I look at this like an event. A lot of us here make the effort to go to Flames games, and honestly that is far from convenient for me. I just accept the fact that going to these things takes a little effort and as long as the prices are reasonable for the product and it's a well run event I will make it work.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #170
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I was wondering that as well. From what I can find online FC Edmonton charged $10-$30 per ticket I'd think that would probably be a good guess no?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #171
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm almost surely going to buy seasons tickets. I'm actually pretty excited about this and despite a lot of people thinking that the stadium is too far, I look at this like an event. A lot of us here make the effort to go to Flames games, and honestly that is far from convenient for me. I just accept the fact that going to these things takes a little effort and as long as the prices are reasonable for the product and it's a well run event I will make it work.
Although I've been a little critical of the location, I can't see myself staying away. I'm already picturing being there - and driving there. Come on ring road!

Whether or not I'll do a season ticket depends a lot on the specific schedule and times. I'm sure that prices will be relatively affordable, so it really depends on how the fixtures jive with everything else in life - other family stuff, summer holidays, etc. But if you have a season ticket, you'll plan things around it, even if you have to offload a game or two along the way.

My kid is nearly 7, and is slowly reaching the point where he'll sit through a hockey game and actually be interested in what's going on. If I can get him hooked on watching live soccer, this should be the beginning of a great father-on tradition.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #172
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably be keen on season tickets too, depending on what the price will be. It is literally next door for me, and during summer it will be a nice walk/bike ride.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #173
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My kid is nearly 7, and is slowly reaching the point where he'll sit through a hockey game and actually be interested in what's going on. If I can get him hooked on watching live soccer, this should be the beginning of a great father-on tradition.
I was thinking the same thing. My daughter will only just turn 2 when the first season kicks off but that means she will hopefully grow up always going to soccer games in the summer. It would be an awesome way to have a mutual interest as she grows up.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #174
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether I buy season tickets or not is going to depend on how "serious" this team appears to be when presented and once it starts assembling itself for 2019.

By serious, I mean I'd like to see some capped Canadian senior NT players (I suspect Ledgerwood and Carducci jump to this team, but I'd expect more), maybe some decent foreign players, quality front office (including a reasonable sponsor/kit/logo), and the plan for the stadium consisting of something other than high school bleachers lining some old stands for horse jumping.

I'm pretty confident that Spruce Meadows and the Southern family wouldn't want their name attached to anything overly second rate, so consider me cautiously optimistic right now.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #175
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure I'll do season tickets since I have trouble finding enough time on summer weekends already and it's not a convenient location but I do hope to get out for at least a couple games a year and will almost certainly buy a jersey. Hoping it's not Cavalry FC but I suspect it will be.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #176
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
I'm not sure I'll do season tickets since I have trouble finding enough time on summer weekends already and it's not a convenient location but I do hope to get out for at least a couple games a year and will almost certainly buy a jersey. Hoping it's not Cavalry FC but I suspect it will be.
The name Cavalry is so absolutely cringe worthy for many reasons, including its obviously a cheesy play on Calgary, it will likely turn off many casual fans and some more serious soccer fans questioning whether the owners are themselves serious about a pro team.

Not to mention that its already being frequently misspelled as "Calvary" and I don't think they want that religious connection.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #177
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
The name Cavalry is so absolutely cringe worthy for many reasons, including its obviously a cheesy play on Calgary, it will likely turn off many casual fans and some more serious soccer fans questioning whether the owners are themselves serious about a pro team.

Not to mention that its already being frequently misspelled as "Calvary" and I don't think they want that religious connection.
I agree the name is poor, but again, if people want to get behind a higher level of organized professional soccer, after it failing from the Boomers, Kickers, Strikers, Storm, Mustangs, this is it and the fans have to play by the rules and set up set out by the owners willing to take this risk.

If a name throws off people, or does a stadium that is more then 15 minute or less commute from their house, or $25 tickets scare them, then there really isn't the support, because then other excuses, that work against the Stamps for a while now, come into play too, as far as game timing. People are busy on summer weekends, as they are out on holidays or otherwise, so that doesn't work for them. Weeknights then are full and too far of a drive again to get there for 730 ( we as kids made it to many 705 Cannons games on weeknights from down south) . Fall games get cold etc etc.

Yes, they need semi casual fans for walk ups to check out as many games as possible in a short season but they also need a dedicated support base that number close to 1000, not 100 from the get go.

Long story short, can't have cake and eat it too, when it comes to outdoor higher level soccer in this city, given and the weather and appetite for sport structures being built with tax payer dollars. So, compromises have to be made if you really truly want to support the franchise and the idea as a community.

Having an owner willing to construct a new soccer only stadium is a massive hurdle cleared in that regard, probably the biggest, but just as clearly, it looks like that's not enough to get people on board with the concept, so you have to wonder what will.

Last edited by browna; 05-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #178
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't wait to see the stadium setup that beautiful spruce meadows can put together.

Spruce Meadows mandate fits perfectly for our future Club

Calgary FC
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #179
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind Cavalry but I agree they can do better. Also maybe just me but I think Calgary FC is a bit too generic and bland though. The direction the CPL is going in seems to be more unique names then simply slapping the city on the badge. I'll catch a game or two, seasons are out as the commute would be a little long on a regular basis . I'd love to see a team here in the valley eventually if they expand and end up with a div 2. Kelowna's only got 200k but there are 350k within an hour's drive and tons of expats/retirees. I think with the right marketing and a desirable stadium with some family activities they could draw a few thousand. Problem here like everywhere else is developing a facility people want to go to. The local junior football team plays at the Apple Bowl and it's high school level, would take millions to bring up to even a semi-professional level.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #180
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

If a name throws off people, or does a stadium that is more then 15 minute or less commute from their house, or $25 tickets scare them, then there really isn't the support, because then other excuses, that work against the Stamps for a while now, come into play too, as far as game timing. People are busy on summer weekends, as they are out on holidays or otherwise, so that doesn't work for them. Weeknights then are full and too far of a drive again to get there for 730 ( we as kids made it to many 705 Cannons games on weeknights from down south) . Fall games get cold etc etc.
You are really digging your heels in, aren't you? The fact that it is out of the way and the the fact that is is a luxury item to go to a sports event for many people should never get lost in this conversation. The location alone is going to make it difficult for a large swath of people in Calgary simply because of the long drive that includes time and gas used. It's just facts, and you have to accept it. Fans are finicky that way and always will be.

The fact is, centrally-located stadiums are more often than not the best locations to satisfy large metro areas (with public transit access). However, we were never going to get that and there are plenty of good reasons to have it at Spruce Meadows (quality of the grounds, for one).

The hardcores will come watch the games, and the south Calgary/Okotoks residents will probably attend in higher numbers, so I have no doubt that the club will receive the support it needs.

One thing I will worry about is if they serve alcohol at the games. Most people are going to be driving in because of where it is; I would hope they have a policy to have Uber/taxis waiting as needed after a game is done.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote